MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-07-2001, 01:24 PM   #1
#1 Pony
Registered Member

Question Blackout lights

I need some help.
I want to black out my lights, but you are not suppose to drive around (on road/street) with those BLACKOUT GTS head/tail light covers on, they are only ment for off road and show.
I might have to use a night sade fog/tint. Is that ok? But I really don't want to destroy the cars original look.
What should I do? Is the fog tint the only thing, or should I use a piece of window tint?
#1 Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 04:56 PM   #2
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

i have never been pulled over for my headlight blackouts, but i also have a good set of driving lights to aid my vision at night. i got pulled over once for my tail light blackouts, but the cop just warned me that he could not see my brake lights and didn't want me to get rearended. those got stolen so i figured i didn't really need the tail lights covered for saftey's sake. they sell smoked headlights that are dark, but i don't know what they look like at night.

------------------
89 GT AOD w/ shift kit, B&M rachet shifter, Trickflow intake, Crane (E-type) cam, 70Tb, 75MAF, 1.6 Rockers, Pulleys, MAC headers and H-pipe, Dynomax mufflers, K&N, 3 core radiator, white face gauges, custom interior, cobra R rims
MY89GT
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 06:43 PM   #3
dinomite
The Dude

i don't really like blackouts....but

would it be illegal to drive a car with blackouts (or, say, no headlights?) during daylight?
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 08:54 PM   #4
Gautam
Registered Member

Hi,
I was gonna post about this in a separate topic but I didn't. Anywho..

Yesterday morning, I wake up to find my blackouts gone (front+rear). I only took a peak at rear so I dint' notice one of my tail light lens was gone too. I figured my bro took it out to clean them, but after calling him at work, he told me he didn't take them out.

Anywho, just a while ago, one of my neighbours told my bro she saw a silver Tiburon come by my house late at night and take the blackouts. My street lamps have been going off lately so it gets really dark (easy to steal stuff).

I am so f*ckin pissed now, cuz I just go the rear blackouts like a month ago from eBay (I spent $110CDN after shipping+customs)!!!! Can't wait to find that f*cker!!!

Bye!

------------------
Gautam N. Lad
http://www.cubicdesign.com
http://www.cubicdesign.com/mustang/
Gautam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 09:40 PM   #5
Capri306

Gautam: (Beavis mode ON) Argggghh! Yeah! Kick 'em! Kick 'em in the nuts! Yeah! Heheheh Mmmm hehheheh Mmmmm hehehe eheheh

(Beavis mode OFF)

Seriously, I hope you find that bastard and make him pay. Mebbe a nice imprint of "Louisville Slugger" in his face for retribution?

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1987 Mustang LX Notch
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 01:06 AM   #6
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Thumbs up

I'm about to go on my 3rd set of blackouts... the ones that fit GOOD, are very fragile(as I have found out!) Yes, they are illegal, but who cares? I drive w/ them at day. At night NO WAY!!!! You cant see ANYTHING! (plus, i have TERRIBLE night vision!) I have NEVER been pulled over for them, (or for my no front license plate!) **sheer luck!** I would go ahead and get the blackouts. If your worried about driving w/ them, pop them off and just use them when you want. I would not put any window tint on your head lights. They would probably bust you for that more so than the blackouts, because they are so "easily" removeable. I know alot of people that dont care for that look. I think on the right car it looks cool. The best quality ones I have found(and I have recieved some 'cheap' ones was from someone I got them off of ebay. I cant find thier card, but they were excellent quality, and they were very eager to please. If you like, i can email him(dont have the name of the parts house handy) and get his email address for you. I believe they were out of Fla. or California.

------------------
1994 GT CONVERTIBLE
TOPLESS IN TEXAS Girls can too's July "Mare of the Month"

Performance Red. Cold Air Ind.,K&N,H.P. Pulleys,OffRoad H-Pipe,Subframe Connectors,Flows,3.55,Light bar,Custom HeadRests.Lotta Chrome
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 01:34 AM   #7
Gautam
Registered Member

Hi,
Naw, I don't think I'll buy another pair. I was lucky enough to get the fronts for $10CDN ($7US) from a used shop. Usually they go for like $80CDN ($58US). The rear ones I was quoted at $120CDN + tax ($140 total). This is like $95US. .

I bought the rear ones cuz I felt it completed the black out look. On a yellow car, it really sticks out and it did look pretty good.

With the blackouts gone, Im trying hard to convince my bro to keep the hood bra off. On a car with hood pins, a bar just looks plain stupid; heck, on any car, a bra is just plain ugly!

Tomorrow, gonna have to see if local cops will allow me to drive my car (without one taillight lens) to the shop to get a new tail light lens. I guess I'll call them up just for the hell of it.

Bye!

------------------
Gautam N. Lad
http://www.cubicdesign.com
http://www.cubicdesign.com/mustang/
Gautam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 01:40 AM   #8
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Quote:
Originally posted by Gautam:
Hi,

a bra just looks plain stupid; heck, on any car, a bra is just plain ugly!

Everyone is entitled to thier opinion. My front end was so nasty looking when I got Topless w/ 45K allready on her, I had no choice, unless i want to buy a new nose piece AND a new hood. Actually, most people have really liked the way the bra looks. Its different, and I feel like it sets her off a little bit. If you saw her w/ out the bra, youd want it back on!!!!!

------------------
1994 GT CONVERTIBLE

Performance Red. Cold Air Ind.,K&N,H.P. Pulleys,OffRoad H-Pipe,Subframe Connectors,Flows,3.55,Light bar,Custom HeadRests.Lotta Chrome
Old 08-08-2001, 01:45 AM   #9
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Lightbulb

Oh Yeah, and you can get the blackouts from these people for about $35-$40. And yes, a car w/ pins would look stupid!

------------------
1994 GT CONVERTIBLE

Old 08-08-2001, 01:49 AM   #10
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

From what I have heard from the State trooper handing me my ticket for taillight covers, is that headlight covers are legal in the daytime, taillight covers are illegal all the time. I have had headlight, taillight and foglight covers on my car for 6 years now. Only got one ticket. They are screwed into the lenses, both front and back, so it makes it more difficult to steal. (I'm on my 4th pair now)
They do make things hard to see at night, so I use an extra set of driving lights too, they work well! Here's a pic. Good luck, I think they look great, but, of course, that's my opinion!

------------------
Joe! 1988 GT, 167,000 miles!!! 13.58@105mph Check out my listing! Click here! Or my website:www.joe4speed.com
99 Ninja ZX-6R:10.32@135mph!
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS 16.40@88.8mph
joe4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 02:01 AM   #11
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Hey Joe....Your car looks Bada$$(not to be confused w/ the first Stang Stud!). Interesting you have them screwed in. YIKES! Never had the tailight ones. Noticed them alot, but, I like the way my new taillights look, and I got a SEQUENCER for my b-day!!!! Cant wait to get it in....
The better made blackouts will crack very easily, which I have found. But, they hold up better. You just have to handle w/ care!!! I'm about to get some more Good Quality ones from the people I deal w/ .. They ARE NOT ALL ALIKE!!! Dont fit the same! So, did they ever sell the "BANDIT"?? That was TOO COOL! Topless

------------------
1994 GT CONVERTIBLE