MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-14-2002, 03:08 PM   #1
The Fireman
Registered Member

Default Anybody here gonna miss the Camaro?

After 35 years the Camaro is now no more. The Mustang was the first pony car, and now it's the last. For years people have fought over these cars, and I've even seen friendships end over the subject. It has without question saddened the Chevy fans of the world, but what about the Ford lovers out there? Are you happy or sad that the Camaro is gone? Do you think the Mustang will go the way of the Camaro, or be changed to a sedan or something in the future? Will owning a Mustang be as exciting, when there is nothing to race against it?
Old 04-14-2002, 03:52 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Re: Anybody here gonna miss the Camaro?

Originally posted by The Fireman

Are you happy or sad that the Camaro is gone?

'Sad' is a little strong. Disappointed is a better word. The Camaro has had a great 35-year history and will be missed.

Do you think the Mustang will go the way of the Camaro, or be changed to a sedan or something in the future?

The Mustang will stay around, especially as it's one of the few 'muscle cars' around anymore. It won't be changed to a sedan. That would be absurd.

Will owning a Mustang be as exciting, when there is nothing to race against it?

Nothing to race against it? There will be thousands of very fast Camaro's around for many, many years (until they become 'collectables'). The foreign cars are getting faster too and will also be competition for the Mustang.

As for being exciting, I offer the example of the Corvette. Nothing else was like it until the Viper came along and even now, it's a very exciting car - with or without competition. The Mustang will be the same way. With or without competition, the 'Stang will still be an exciting car to own and drive.

What we'll lose is the yearly HP wars and endless debate about who is faster - or better, Camaro or Mustang. Now, we can just enjoy the Mustang without the arguments and debates.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 06:22 PM   #3
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

I do feel a sense of sadness about the demise of the F-bodies. It seemed that the all of a sudden they just vannished. I dont think it will take long for GM to either bring them back of produce something similar to compete with the mustang.
Actually I heard rumors that the camaro maybe comming back as a V-6 front wheel drive.
I definately think that GM will not give up that easy, I believe it will be a matter of time. Although Ford had better luck with buyers and the mustang, the camaro and firebird were still good sports cars, a little expensive but they had horsepower.
As for the mustang's future, I believe as long as there is something for it to compete against,or something to compete against it, whether it be domestic or import, the mustang will be there raring to shut them down.
Old 04-14-2002, 08:14 PM   #4
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Its kind of hard to miss the camaro when theres a few hundred thousand of them on the road.

Later,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 09:37 PM   #5
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

The Camaro is suppost to return around 2005. Let just hope they don't **** it up(ie, Impala). I actually want a black Firebird WS6

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 10:04 PM   #6
polara7777
Registered Member

I agree that the camaro and/or firebird will be back in one form or another. Even though I despise GM I do look forward to seeing what kind of competion the new versions will be. Hopefully it will be something worth the gas used to race it.
-67 Dodge Polara (383 punched 30, Heavy head work, Mopar Performance single plane intake, Holley 750, electric fuel pump, Holley regulator, .484 duration cam, FRIED bottom end!) DOH!!! Fried the #1 rod bearing. Stroker kit coming!
-01 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Clear lenses, shaved fender, rear signals in the rear housing, baffles removed, Deals Gap dragon on the tail.)
polara7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 10:33 PM   #7
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

As most ppl know, the camaro is going to come back.

As far as the mustang being slow, never. Just look at the new Cobra, they are gunning for the corvette now.

Quote:
Its kind of hard to miss the camaro when theres a few hundred thousand of them on the road.
This is true, it's not like there are short on them.
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 01:55 AM   #8
silverv6
Registered Member

I read in a magazine article that said that the camaro was goin to return in a couple of years and that it was goin to be better that ever<<<<<<< LOL and that it was goin to be the fastes camaro every built and every body will want to own the new Camaro<<<< LOL
I think the one thats gone for good is Firebird

I got a question. why is it that Ford always saw Chevy producing a fast car And dint make a car that could top the HP or go over it?

I hope Ford now starts making Fast Stangs in the years to come hopefully in the next 2 years or 3

P.S.
Im Glad Camaro is gone
just until it comes back ... I wish it was gone for good
silverv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 04:58 PM   #9
DRASTiK
Registered Member

I will say that IF the camaro doesn't ever return, then I'll be pissed. I have many friends that join with me in the usual debate over which car's better, our Stangs, or our Camaros. This debate has lasted for over 30 years, and is still going strong. There's always a race to be run or a pissing competition to be held between a Ford and a Chevy owner. THAT is what I'll miss.

Even though I am a Mustang man through and through, I don't know that I would be able to say that if the Camaro didn't exist to make me that way. It gave me a choice of which way to go, and I chose the Mustang side to rival the Camaro side. It's all in fun and even if I've never seen you before and we're at a hangout somewhere, just by looking at each other and noticing that one of us has a Stang and one of us has a Camaro, BANG, an instant rivalry and usually a friendship to go along with it.

Just my 2 cents.
Dave

RHC member #75

My stang is FOR SALE!!
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 05:12 PM   #10
The Deuce
Registered Member

Exclamation Forgetting the F-body

I have heard the "break" in production of the Camaro is only to allow for a car to come back more like the original (read, useable back seat). Any speculation otherwise seems absurd at this point.
Not to mention that GM officially(?) announced that they are bringing the holden coupe up to the states as the GTO. This car makes about 345bhp and uses the 'American' 350 block. It really is a matter of getting DOT and EPA for the car, not to mention a Pontiac looking grill and the car will be on the street.
Even if we aren't racing new Camaro's, GM will not let the Mustang go uncontesed. Additionally, Chevy is the performance brand, so they will most likely be hurrying to get a bowtie on a viable 4 seat, rear drive v8 that isn't embarassed by the GTO.
I will miss the Camaro, as I do the Fairlane, Falcon, and everything else Detroit decided to hook up a v8 to the back wheels. Hopefully the GTO will convince DC to drop their hemi in the Stratus Coupe and call it a Challenger. Bring on the horsepower.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 06:35 PM   #11
90'5.0 Conv
Long time member in and out

Hate to look like the @^& here but will I miss the camaro? Ummm, lemme think... nope sure won't. Will they bring it back? I'm sure they will. Think about it... Put yourself in there shoes, I mean if Ford decided to do the same thing, you know as well as I do, it would just be a matter of time before they threw it back out there. There doing all of this for publicity. There trying to get more buyers in the future. Thats it. Well, thats my opinion anyway so take it how you want. I owned a Camaro once and it will be the last. Yeah, I had a bad experience with one to say the least and ever since I went Ford, never had a problem, atleast not a major one anyway so why change what's working. Besides, the camaro's just kept getting uglier and uglier and uglier. Anyways, just thought I'd throw that out there for someone.LOL

James
2 Ch Flowmasters

1/8th ET 9.04
90'5.0 Conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 09:50 PM   #12
Bake
Registered Member

Default New Mustangs

I was watching a tv show on speed channel and they were saying that with the departure or the camero and firebird, the mustang will have nothing to compete with over the years and that ford had decided to keep mustangs around the same price range they are now, but up a few thousand, but ford is setting the mustangs sites on the corvettes for the cobras for the first few years then hopefully bumping the gt up to corvett level, the cobra to the Z06 lvl and something like the 6 either dismiss it or start putting 4.2l lincoln engines in them and bring them up to gt specs... personaly i think it would be cool if ford started to encorporate some of that new BMW technology they now own.

P.S. the above is what i saw on a tv show when they first announced that this was 100% officialy the F-body's last year and they did an entire show on them, so please nobody jump down my throught if this info is old...

-Kyle
Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 07:20 PM   #13
The Fireman
Registered Member

No way will Ford get rid of the V6. It's the best selling Mustang out there.