MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-13-2001, 08:56 AM   #21
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

Nice Nice.... I have pretty much the same car, other then mine is the Windsor. Apparently the 351-4bbl's in 1969 were only Windsors. But I have no idea what has been done to my engine but I know it's been done up. It has alot of power. I'm getting the timing adjusted come spring and getting it dyno'd.
What are some things I can look to see what has been done up on the engine. I know it has a new 4bbl holley carb, K&N, I changed the fuel pump. Anything else?

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 01:11 PM   #22
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

I thought about leaving the Cleveland in the car, but I did the right thing by swapping in my Windsor. The Cleveland was built by a guy, had a HOlley 650 double pumper, a Performer intake, and he said a "Cobra" cam. When we got the car there was no air cleaner, the engine compartment was a mess. Wires running all over the place, oil setting in pockets on the engine...it was not pretty at all...I built the Windsor, I know exactly what it has in it, and it is very reliale. Never had any mechanical problems with it at all. It has good power, great power. I'm sure the Cleveland would have ran good with a little TLC, but I just wanted to do the sure thing.

With that 429 you were talking about, I'd have to change my shock towers just to get that thing to fit in there. They had to do that on all the Boss 429 cars in '69 and '70.
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 02:18 PM   #23
73 Mustang Boy
Registered Member

You should have modified the water passages on those Clevland heads and put them on the Windsor block. There is a company somewhere that makes the special intake to do it. It basicly makes a "Boss 302" with 351 cubic inches. with some mild porting those Clevland Heads would flow some serious cfm.
Old 12-13-2001, 02:42 PM   #24
Coupe Devil

Quote:
Originally posted by 73 Mustang Boy
You should have modified the water passages on those Clevland heads and put them on the Windsor block. There is a company somewhere that makes the special intake to do it. It basicly makes a "Boss 302" with 351 cubic inches. with some mild porting those Clevland Heads would flow some serious cfm.
Your right about putting the Cleveland heads on a Windsor but just liek the "Boss 302" they are junk unless you are able to turn high rpm's. A "true Boss 302" would be nice to have if you were restoring a a true boss car but other wise the are junk. They make little to no power in the low rpms and driving one through town would suck. Pure race motor - those heads and Windsor bottom end would be ideal. And the "Boss 302" you had would mean that the 351 had 4 bolt mains, the only way to get a 4 bolt main 351 is to go to the 351 cobra jet (clevland) or buy a new sportsman block for a couple grand. The company that makes the inake IS "Bush Performance" in Oklahoma or Nebraska, cant remember exact location and they carb intake is 400 bucks alone.

If you put those heads on a Windsor bottom end unless you are plannign on running a Huge alky carb or something no porting is needed. I mean the ports are huge. trust me I have a pair. I have seen them and toyed with the idea of building a Clevor motor in times past but just havent done it. the freakin valves are huge too. All you would have to do is get a set of headers made and maybe slick up the ports. You wouldnt even have to have much material taken out.

Brad

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 04:02 PM   #25
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

Come on now guys....I'm 17, live in a town with about 6000 people (which means no machining shops, only a NAPA and Carquest)...I would have to drive quite a while to get those Cleveland heads somewhere to do that work on them. Plus I wouldn't get near as much money out of the engine when I sold it. And if I'm going to put any different heads on my car, they're going to be aluminum, unless I get a good set of irons for free! Haha...

I already have a set of good headers, and I already bought a new Performer RPM intake. There is no way in hell that I'd bother to do all that extra work for iron heads. I WANT THE PERFORMER RPM HEADS!!!

They will come with time...hehe...I just need MONEY!
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 04:49 PM   #26
Coupe Devil

Hey man modding the Cleveland heads is no big deal. Go pick yourself up a Ford Racing Performance Parts catalog. There is detailed instruction in the back on how to do it. And it's just a matter of drilling a hole really. And as far as the intake goes. YOu can use a spacer between an intake for the windsor and the clevland heads. But I understand that about the small town. NO SPEED SHOPS ANYWHERE. There are acouple of guys that do machine works and have hot rods so they appreciate and like the work were I live.

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote