MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-06-2002, 02:42 PM   #1
Falcons Talon
T.P.M. President

Default Cracks in my fan.

I was looking at my fan and I see that there are cracks on my fan. Not on the blades, but on the circular housing for the clutch. I'm assuming that this isn't normal or a good thing. A new fan from ford is over $120.00 without the clutch, and the local junkyard doesn't have one. I found a 7 blade fan, but the one I have now is 9 blades. I'm afraid that my fan is going to explode and rip up my radiator. Do I stick the 7 blade on her and keep hunting? With the heating problem I'm currently having, I'm afraid to run her with this for too long, especially in the summer.
Falcons Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 03:07 PM   #2
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

I live in south tx too, now dude, i have a flex-a-lite electric fan i paid 240$ for but it was worth it, i had a police cluthc fan, my brother noticed it sitting slightly sideways, well i didnt think much of it, couple days later, i heard a loud snap! and luckily i was a mile from my house, i looked and sure enough the whole fan broke off where you explained is cracked, and it cost me a radiator, and tore up my shroud, thank god for the shroud or else i would be getting a cowl hood also, the blackmagic fan has its own shroud, and is durable, so i recomend the flexalite bm fan for the 5.0.

btw, where in south tx you live?
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 03:17 PM   #3
Coupe Devil

Your right dude, its not normal or a good thing. I worked at the Ford dealership for a while and we replaced several of these. NOt really sure what causes it, but you need to get it replaced before it becomes shratnel... trust me, its not pretty. I recommend goin with the electric fans since you'll be replacing. I mean replacing with o.e.m. just isnt any fun anyways so why not upgrade.

Brad

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 03:21 PM   #4
Falcons Talon
T.P.M. President

Quote:
Originally posted by Coupe5oh

btw, where in south tx you live?
As far south as you can possibly get without going into Mexico...Brownsville!!!
Old 05-06-2002, 03:36 PM   #5
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Another fan option

I replaced my stock clutch fan with a Ford 'Special Service police-duty' model. Better cooling and less drag for a good price. Probably lasts longer, too. $100. + S&H from Mustangs Unlimited.

Just another option to consider.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 04:10 PM   #6
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

Brownstown! Yeah, its hot there. I just got back from South Fadre, and about to go back. Heh, I wish I could live down there.

Yeah the electric fan was an upgrade for me, some people hear say it overheats. I wouldn't know why, unless they have 600 hp or something.

I dont want to down the police clutch fan, which is what I had, because mine probably had many miles on it, so they might be good when replaced new. I just know I'm never going with another one of those again, just a loss of power imo, but I do alot of racing.
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer

mph- 99.92 mph
Old 05-06-2002, 04:41 PM   #7
Mr 5 0

Lightbulb Fan facts

Coupe5oh:

FYI: The stock clutch fan (or the police-duty model) only operates at idle or low speeds so it doesn't really cost any power, especially when racing.

Electric fans are the best for maximum, controlled cooling but they have a short lifespan in most applications.

Flex fans are worse than the stock clutch fan, in my opinion.

The clutch fan works well but it's a replacment item, like a battery or a clutch and not meant to last forever. I'm on my third clutch fan in 12 years so I consider five years as the average life of a clutch fan. $20. per year. Not bad.
Old 05-06-2002, 04:51 PM   #8
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

Yes, i know they have no drag on a motor at high speeds, thats why i said, mine was probaly failing, obviously since it broke off it wasnt working properly, all i know is, i felt every bit of 10-15 hp when it did break, so it wasnt engaging correctly, and my electric fan was over 200$ so it better last a long time, 2 years later, no problems yet, i just hear you dont want to get them too wet, which is common sense, also, my fan rarely comes on unless im idling with the a/c on, on the higway it usually stays off, since the air passing through cools enough. newr car come stock with these, so i figure they finally got smart.

mph- 99.92 mph
Old 05-06-2002, 04:52 PM   #9
Falcons Talon
T.P.M. President

$100 + s/h for police duty
$200 + s/h for black magic

decisions decisions.

Best bang for buck seems to be police fan, but w/my heating probs, maybe I should go w/ bm...What's the right call guys??? 100 degree + summers days are common down here.
Old 05-06-2002, 05:11 PM   #10
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

Well you know what i recomend, and my fan is wired into the a/c relay, so when the a/c is on the fan will be on, i know how hot it gets in south tx, so i recomend a 180 stat, 3 core radiator, and the BM fan, they make one especially for the 5.0, i know of guys running flex fans also, but they probaly drag a little more than a clutch setup, good luck on your decision.

In traffic with my a/c on, with underdrive pullies, my guage barely goes past the 2nd mark, stays under half way, the fan will draw more off you charging system, so if you have a stereo system, and pullies, you might think about upgrading your alternator, i have a stock autozone one, and it undercharges, but not enough to cause problems, yet

mph- 99.92 mph
Old 05-06-2002, 05:31 PM   #11
Falcons Talon
T.P.M. President

I'm really leaning towards the bm...My pulleys are only crank and water pump w/bracket for alternator. I got the 3 core already w/ a 180 stat.
Old 05-06-2002, 07:03 PM   #12
Mr 5 0

Lightbulb Cool ideas

I have a Ford Racing 3-row radiator, Ford Racing police-duty clutch fan, stock 192 degree thermostat, stock WP, a 40/60 coolant/water mix and Water Wetter.

Never a problem with cooling on even the hottest days (high 90's around here).

If you're worried about it, get the BM electric fan. It will cool better - to a point - but they do burn out eventually and can have problems, but not enough to advise against it.

Good luck. Stay cool.
Old 05-06-2002, 07:12 PM   #13
Falcons Talon
T.P.M. President

I think one of the biggest factors against the police clutch is that I would have to get the clutch @ $100 + the fan also @ $120 from the dealer, initially coming out to $220. I appreciate your advice. All the input from you guys helps me make a decision where I don't feel like I'm guessing.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:47 PM   #14
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

Yea thats all i have is the crank pulley, and water pump,

I never tried watter wetter, i might later on, also, mr50, high 90's is nothing to cool, but where he lives bronws, it can get 110, even here in SA, we see 105 sometimes, I worked in brownsville a couple years ago, very humid too. later
Old 05-07-2002, 09:27 AM   #15
Falcons Talon
T.P.M. President

Sometimes the heat is almost unbearable. I ordered the BM last night. Mr 5.0, Coupe 5.0, PonyPower 90, I really appreciate your advice. I think I just need that extra cooling. All of your advice is coming in very handy. I love the sound of my car, I can really feel the response, and I'm getting better gas mileage. Thanks guys. I'm open to all your advice and tips...
Old 05-07-2002, 12:34 PM   #16
whiterod
Registered Member

another thing you might want to consider down the road also with the black magic fan is a 130 amp altenator. i had the black magic with the fms pulley street set and i really had to watch the amp needle at night. i used all 3 pulleys. but after i added the 130 amp altenator i don't have to worry about it anymore. just put on the black magic and see what happens. i think you will enjoy, i know i enjoy mine after 3 years
GT-40X(58cc)heads, cobra upper&lower, FMS 65mm TB, 75mm Bullet, 24# injectors, 190 lph fuel pump, moroso cold air intake, BBK 1 5/8 equal length headers, flowmaster cat back, 1.7 cobra rockers, crane 2031, T5Z gear box, centerforce dual friction, mcleod bullet proof bellhousing, 3.55 gears, hurst billet shifter with over 193,000 miles. thanks to all who contributed
whiterod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 02:12 PM   #17
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

Yea i mentioned that earlier, but i use a 60amp autozone alt, and im doing alright, alhtough i can see my lights dimm at night when i stop, but it hasnt been a problem yet.
Old 05-07-2002, 06:07 PM   #18
Stang951
Registered Member

Make sure that you dont need alot of air flow through your radiator. I bought a BM and it does not cool my car very well. I already have a 3 row rad, hi-flow water pump running straight water and water wetter. It would not keep the car cool at all. In traffic I overheated to at 250 on at least 2 occasions.
Suspension:
Maximum Motorsports Caster-Camber Plates / Maximum Motorsports adjustable lower control arms / FRPP heavy duty upper control arms / Tokico Illumina Shocks and Struts / Ground Pounder Coil Over conversion kit front / Steeda cross brace sub-frame connectors /
Drivetrain:
Tremec 3550 trans / Steeda Tri-Ax shifter / Spec Stage II clutch and pressure plate / Spec aluminum flywheel /

5.8 in the hole
Stang951 is offline   Reply With Quote