MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-02-2004, 08:48 AM   #1
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Default a jet ski

well, there are two jet ski's being sold by an individual I know. Both are in great shape, but one does not run. Apparently, this smart guy did not ride the jet ski with the cord attached, when he got dumped the ski kept going and flipped over....start doing donuts---now it is locked up, so he says. I figured he blew it, so if I buy this one I figure I will have to rebuild it. I have rebuilt 2 and 4 stroke dirt bikes, car engines.... can I handle the jet ski? The only reason I am considering this..is for two reasons. On, he is lazy and does not want to mess with it...and 2 - most important, he is looking at a felony charge right now in court and wants to fight it. He is already in debt and needs the money badly.....willing to make me a good ....good deal. Can I handle the tear down of it?
1997 seedoo bombadier - 110 horsepower....good fiberglass and cosmetics...witerized as it should be...can be verified.

I should mention I have experience with boats....currently have one, but have never had a jet ski.
thanks all,
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 10:59 AM   #2
drudis

If the jet ski flipped over and sucked water, he may have hydro-locked the motor (trying to compress water, and bending connecting rods or worse...).
If you rebuild bikes and motors, you should easily be able to tackle a 2-stroke.
GO FOR IT! (or better yet, dont do it, let ME know where its at)
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 06:14 PM   #3
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

I own a 1997 Sea Doo SPX! It is in mint condition and has less than 50 hours on it. Owned it since new. It is a great water bike and a highly sought after model.

The motor is probably toast! As water proof as these things are, they can not flip over while running. I would call a local dealer and get a price for a new motor. Or, ask if you can take it to someone. Pay the $50 for a diagnosis.

The Rotax is a great power plant, but expensive. This way you will know what your max out of pocket would be on it. I fear trying to fix it might result in hours and hours of frustration.

One in very good condition would cost about $4500 at the most. If this is the SP model, then it might be a little less. An average SPX of that year sells for about $3300 - $3500. A piece of crap...well, there is know telling. If a motor is $3000 (and I am guessing), you may be better off passing it up.

Good luck!

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 08:05 PM   #4
rwhite65
Ride Hard

I think the model is an xp, according to the vin number I ran last night. The parts are fairly expensive.....atleast they were on the website I looked at this morning. I think I may tear into it a little more to see what I got, and talk with the shop that winterized it.....apparently, he says he still had it winterized even though it did not run. We will see,
thanks for the help guys,
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote