MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-15-2004, 08:50 PM   #1
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Default Thank You Ford!

You know, I just realized something. The last few years, we have seen a major growth in sales of small four-cylinder rice bangers and all those crazy accessories and mods that go with them. In fact, that multi-million dollar industry, if not billion, in many ways has squashed what once was the "muscle car era."

Auto parts stores are now FILLED to the brim with those stupid mufflers, neon lights, and other hokie chunks of metal and plastic...anyone with me? I know you know what I mean. Two multi-million dollars movies have been made that have become the "Top-Gun" of the Rice Burner industry. (still following me?)

General Motors...the biggest of the "Big Three" has dumped what, 40+ years of one of the greatest car heritages ever made...the Camero. Why? Because they can't make money on them...low sales. Some might say that the Pony could even become extinct someday... in the near future...it could happen.

Yet, despite this...all this, Ford not only continues to build the Mustang, but...gosh darnet, they built a new one....a retro one....a car designed to capture the good 'ol days. Sort of like giving the middle finger to the rest of the industry if you ask me.

The next time you look at the next Mustang, sure, we like to criticize. You know, "why did they do this....I would have done that." Be thankful that Ford did anything!!!

Thank you Ford for telling everyone to go "F" themselves! Thank you Ford for sticking with us and not caving in! Thank you Ford for believing.

Ok, I'm done now.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 05:35 PM   #2
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

Well said! I am glad we still have new Mustangs rolling off assembly lines for our enjoyment!!

1990 LX
GT-40 motor 262 horsepower, 307ft-lbs (sold but forever loved)

1998 Contour SVT

Rice Haters Club Member #244
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 06:52 PM   #3
TARZAN
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hethj7
Well said! I am glad we still have new Mustangs rolling off assembly lines for our enjoyment!!

Agreed

-Will

-Will
TARZAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 08:29 PM   #4
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Thumbs up

RIGHT ON, man! Well said. I whole-heartedly agree. Glad I chose the right side to be on a long time ago.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 10:17 PM   #5
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Not only is Ford still building cars for car guys, they still offer them with V8 engines and rear wheel drive like God intended!
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 10:49 PM   #6
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Orange97GTVert
Not only is Ford still building cars for car guys, they still offer them with V8 engines and rear wheel drive like God intended!
......although, I would be interested in seeing an all wheel drive Mustang or SVT Focus..........
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 10:59 PM   #7
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

and to think ford was going to replace the hoss, with those rice azz probe's.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 11:48 PM   #8
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

I actually almost bought a probe before my Stang. Now they don't even make them.....I think I made the right choice!

1990 LX
GT-40 motor 262 horsepower, 307ft-lbs (sold but forever loved)

1998 Contour SVT

Rice Haters Club Member #244
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 10:19 PM   #9
Mustang Brandon
Registered Member

rice burners should go f*** themselves. they talk a bunch of smack for only having a four cylinder
Mustang Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 04:31 PM   #10
84LX89GT
Mustangs

Remember in the 80's to 90's when companies started making just about EVERYTHING front wheel drive, Ford still has the Crown Vic and Town Car even through the FWD craze, and the mustang has always stayed true to it's roots while there's no other leftovers from the muscle car era, I even like the Mustang II's because they're small, light (for the era) and had V8's (except '74) which ford kept alive through the 70's. I'd hate to be a Chrysler fan for the last 35 years....Viper.....I'd have to live in it to own it.
The point to my rambling: Although ford has never had the most extreme cars they're fun, usable and true to the ford heritage. Recently ford has been excelling in selling bad @ss mustangs like the supercharged cobra, Mach 1, Bullitt, even the new GT is very fun and cool looking.

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 08:24 PM   #11
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

DITTO!

Hey, did you see the latest MM&FF? I need to drive the Mach 1. They compared the GT, Mach 1, and Cobra and their favorite car was the Mach 1. The power on the Mach 1 is really understated (as is the Cobra) by a lot. And they loved the way the car fealt and handled.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
Old 02-26-2004, 01:30 PM   #12
Vector
Registered Member

While I agree with what was said before about ford and the mustang, aren't you guys forgetting a few things? GM through Pontiac has actually a number of performance cars to replace the F-bodies, they unveiled the new GTO, a muscle car by all rights with more than 300 horsepower, before Ford could get out the new Mustang. The Bonneville SSei with more stock horsepower than the Mustang, and it's from a V6! It's frontwheel drive yes... but for joeblow looking between a Firebird/Camaro or one of those babies with it's luxury appeal too, he'll choose the Bonneville. I would too... if it weren't for that damned FWD. Don't blame GM for shutting down the F-bodies, if it's because of lack of consumer interest. What can they do about that? They tried their best (with the Camaro even becoming a better car than the Mustang in the end...) but STILL they couldn't stir up interest. So they made the right financial decision to shut it down. As for the import haters amongst you, yes there's lots of trash out there but there are a few gems too. The 350z being one of them, rear wheel drive with 290 horsepower! That sounds like a true sports car to me. There are others with similar numbers, I honestly believe the horsepower wars are starting up again. "Sporty" compac econo-boxes are one thing, but some of these imports can hold their own, and more. Now I'm not an import fan, and I prefer the roar of a V8 to anything anyday, but when they can put the numbers on the table, it's hard to look past them.
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 10:08 PM   #13
MiracleMax
Registered Member

NUFF SAID
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 09:20 PM   #14
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

The Pontiac GTO will be a total flop! I stood next to it at the auto show in Philly and there was VERY little interest in that car. The GTO will go down as being like the Ford Probe was to the Mustang. It will have it's place, but will not make history. I give it three years at the most. It is totally boring. I was very dissapointed.

My Stang:
Old 02-28-2004, 08:08 PM   #15
MiracleMax
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxBlakexxx
The Pontiac GTO will be a total flop!
I agree totally, it might probably do better if they would have just imported it as a monaro and not make it the Gelly TO, I've read on a few forums where the pontiac guys wanted the GTO to embrace more of its heratige like the 05 mustang.

I don't know if it was cost(most likely), or a blatant attempt by GM to aviod using any links to the past, but the name GTO does not a car make despite its technical ability to whoop booty. I think they should have delayed the car instead of trying to shotgun some excitment back into the excitement division and engineered a proper GTO off of monaro mechanicals or whatever platform would have been most suitable.
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 09:28 PM   #16
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Miracle, I think you nailed it.

Vector, despite my comments, I really do not dissagree with all of what you said. I just think the GTO missed the mark. Imagine if Ford had deleted the Mustang, but re-badged a Taurus with a GT tag and put the 4.6 in it. Sure, Pontiac came off with a better car than that, but not good enough.

Ultimately, car companies have to sell what the consumers what...that is the bottom line...sales. But, they still need to execute well. A good idea is nothing if it comes out of the shoot poorly.

Personally, I am somewhat sad to see the F bodies go away. I just hope that GM's decision does not simply mean that a few more years will be added to the Mustang life....I hope to see the stang for many years to come.

My Stang:
Old 03-04-2004, 12:16 AM   #17
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

And GM will probably offer that GTO with 4 doors too, like the Grand Prix. They will end up rentals and company cars if they do.
Some heritage.

The new Mustang pays respectful homage to its heritage, can't wait till those hit the streets. My wife thinks she may trade the 02 for one, of course she WON'T buy a GT, but the V6 runs pretty well for a daily driver. Besides, we don't need to pay insurance on a 3rd GT.

The cool thing about Ford is they make a Mustang for everybody and every budget, unlike the Viper and the Corvette. The V6 Mustangs are priced better than a Honda or a Toyota and it doesnt look exactly like the cars parked next to it on both sides in a parking lot!
Old 03-04-2004, 02:08 PM   #18
Vector
Registered Member

I don't think there's anything wrong with a 4-door performance car... It looks better on the insurance, looks more like a sleeper, and it's just damn practical. A car that comfortably seats 4 and can also haul ***? It just appeals to me. The BMW M5 is an excellent example of such a car!

Look at Australia, all their peformance cars are 4 door (baring the new Monaro and the utes).
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 06:40 PM   #19
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

I know, but in THIS country performance cars have traditionally been 2 door cars. Have you ever seen a 4 door Mustang, or Camaro, or 442 or (classic)GTO or Road Runner? I grew up in 2 door cars, my parents didn't even have 4 door cars until they got in their 60's. I have a hard time looking at a 4 door car and calling it cool, its just where I grew up!