MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-02-2004, 09:49 AM   #1
429mustang
Registered Member

Default Dr. Gas X-pipe - BBK longtubes???

I ordered the Dr. gas X-pipe for longtubes on sunday, it's the one that goes from 3" down to 2 1/2 in the x junction. Yesterday I bought BBK ceramic coated longtubes and the collectors look like 3" but the ball/flare socket makes the opening closer to 2 1/2". Will the 3" X-pipe bolt up to the BBK's and was it worth buying the setup that starts out 3"? Also, are the Dr. Gas pipes just aluminized steel?
Old 03-03-2004, 08:11 AM   #2
429mustang
Registered Member

I talked to the guy (Neil) at Dr. Gas, the 3"- 2 1/2" x-pipe won't bolt up to BBK's (which is kind od stupid cause it says on Dr. Gas' site that they bolt up to BBK/Mac longtubes) and they'll either have to stretchthe collector cone to 3" or I can buy the new collestor from them and cut/weld it on. That sucks cause the headers were almost $400 and the ceramic coating's gonna get messed up either way, plus noone locally has 3" male collector cones and they already sent the x-pipe out.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:51 PM   #3
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

that sux man, would have been a sweet set up.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 11:23 PM   #4
429mustang
Registered Member

Don't worry, I'm not pussin out. I ordered a set of 3inch male collector flanges from Dr. Gas ($25 + around $20 for 2nd day shipping). I'm gonna cut off the old (actually new) flange and weld on the new 3" ones. It sucks that I have to cut up a new set of headers, but I want to try the setup I planned on originally so it's gotta be done, no big deal.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:44 PM   #5
429mustang
Registered Member

Anyone know what the Dr. Gas pipes usually are (aluminized steel/stainless/etc.), and does anyone make a good spray/brush on hi-temp coating for the welds/collectors and possibly the whole x-pipe? I should have the setup on my car saturday, I'll make sure to post some sound/video clips of it.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:04 PM   #6
420nitro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 429mustang
Anyone know what the Dr. Gas pipes usually are (aluminized steel/stainless/etc.), and does anyone make a good spray/brush on hi-temp coating for the welds/collectors and possibly the whole x-pipe? I should have the setup on my car saturday, I'll make sure to post some sound/video clips of it.
Mines aluminized. I think you would have to ask for stainless steel, other wise you will just get the aluminized pipe.
As goes for the high temp paint, nope..at least nothing that is good any way.
Question....
I have the x-pipe with the slip on collectors. Why don't you just get the band style clamp from a Napa or order it from a Summit or Jegs? Then you don't have to worry about recoating the header collecter. (It will be clamped on by a stainless steel clamp.) Mine works awsome, and when torqued down per instuctions I can't even twist one off the pipes with one of my huge pipe wrenches!!!! Oh yea, talk about gained ground clearence and no need to ever buy new collector gaskets again!!!!
I think it is an awsome set-up and no need to worry about them falling off either.
My 2 cents
If you have any questions just PM me and I will see if I can get my camara to work to send a pic of my exhust.
Good Luck
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 10:55 PM   #7
429mustang
Registered Member

I should have everything tomorrow, I already had them send out the 3" collectors so I'll just use them. I was going to go with the slip-on setup, but the muffler shop wanted $30-40 just for two approx. 6-8" pieces of 3'' pipe flared on one end to slip over the collector tube. Hopefully everything will go together without any more problems.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:05 AM   #8
429mustang
Registered Member

I just got done finishing everything up. It's weird, it sounds tough but not nearly as loud as anyone elses car that I've heard with 2 chambers, mine's pretty quiet. I'm assuming it's because of the longtubes and stock cam, but whatever. I'll get some pics/soundclips up tomorrow hopefully, the 3" - 2 1/2" x-pipe looks pretty tough and cutting off/rewelding the new collectors wasn't a big deal either.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:24 AM   #9
420nitro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 429mustang
I just got done finishing everything up. It's weird, it sounds tough but not nearly as loud as anyone elses car that I've heard with 2 chambers, mine's pretty quiet. I'm assuming it's because of the longtubes and stock cam, but whatever. I'll get some pics/soundclips up tomorrow hopefully, the 3" - 2 1/2" x-pipe looks pretty tough and cutting off/rewelding the new collectors wasn't a big deal either.
Just wait till you have a new H/C/I on it
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote