MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-10-2004, 08:22 PM   #1
82 GT
Import Slayer

Default Question for all Pa. stangers

Has anyone appied for a MODIFIED VEHICLE TITLE or RECONSTRUCTED TITLE SINCE since the new vehicle inspection laws came into effect?

I'm planning ongetting it done soon to my '82 GT since it has been "modified from original manufacturers specs". I already have the form to fill out but was curious if anyone has done it yet.
I had a machanic tell me tonight that my car MUST have all factory smog equipment regardless of what type of tag I apply for and that there is NO way around it.........period.
I was arguing with him and trying to explain that's what the special form is for...........modified vehicles. He says the only place it's good for now is the drag strip.
The lady at the notary told me that a lot of people are scrambling to reconstruct their titles because they are in the same boat as I am.
I'm just wondering what all the mustangers in Pa. are doing for inspection that have heavy mods done to the engine, exhaust, suspension or if they ran into the same problem as I am.
The notary said I was right and that a vehicle title must be changed if mods have been done different from how it came from the factory.
She did give me a garage to go to that fills out the special form with you for the process.
I guess a lot of mechanics don't want to go through the trouble.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 08:26 PM   #2
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

I live in PA. From what I understand, you must have all the factory smog stuff installed or effectively have an "R" title for your car which will make it worthless. If you have an older modified car, this might not be a big deal as the value of these are hard to determine anyway.

One thing is for sure. There will be A LOT of confusion with this for a long while. If you have a loud exhaust, it's just another excuse to pull someone over.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 10:46 PM   #3
82 GT
Import Slayer

I don't care about haveing an R title. I just want to be able to drive my car on the street. I spent all this money last winter/fall and now I may not be able to drive the damn thing??
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:09 PM   #4
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

I still have a few loose ends to tie up with my engine....but in about a month, it should be ready for inspection/emissions.

I'm too lazy to go back and re-read the previous thread about the new law but are suspension and exhaust modifications OK if all smog equiptment is still present on the vehicle? Same with heads or something like that....all we need is the smog crap, right?

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 04:24 PM   #5
82 GT
Import Slayer

The way I understand it is if you change any major part of a vehicle i.e engine, tranny, exhaust from original then it requires some sort of reconstructed title.
Since all my smog crap is long gone on my '82, I should be able to file for a MODIFIED vehicle title and be good to go. It still has to pass standard safety guidlines like brakes, tires, glass etc.
There is a checklist the mechanic must check off on this form and that form gets sent to PENN DOT for approval not to mention color photos that you must take of the car as well and send in.
It's a big pain in the butt to go through if you have a car with major modifications.
Oh, yeah, you also need to submit ALL copies of the receipts that you or someone installed on the car that changed it from original.
The name of the form is DMV 426(b).
Old 03-11-2004, 08:11 PM   #6
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

I can not find ANYTHING online about this ANYWHERE. I am going to contact my State Representative's office tomorrow and see if I can get any answers. Also, there is a great Mustang Performance shop in PA (CJ Pony Parts). I will call them too to see what they know.

The only thing that I have been told is that your car is required to have all emissions equipment on it and it is nothing more than a visual inspection. This info came from my local Ford shop manager. He also mentioned "you can't remove your cats but if you drill them out, they would have no way to know until they start doing smog checks."

I will keep you posted.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
Old 03-11-2004, 08:48 PM   #7
82 GT
Import Slayer

BLAKE , go to this website: www.dmv.state.pa.us/
Scroll down the left side and click "DOWNLOAD FORMS"
You will come to a page with all the downloadable forms. Scroll down almost all the way until you find the form MV-426b

This is the form I have which I am talking about. It explains all the different catagories and definitions for reconstructed titles.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:20 PM   #8
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Leave it to our government.

I downloaded the form...thanks. But, I am not sure who this really applies to. According to the section on exhaust it only asks if the cats and heat shield are installed.

Seems like the form is aimed at kit cars especially. We really need to get some clarification on this.

82GT, what part of the state do you live? I am in the NE.

My Stang:
Old 03-11-2004, 10:26 PM   #9
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

I was reading this thing further...it sure seems like they got us for any type of mod to the motor or exhaust. What the F! What...is this VT? This is PA for pete sakes.

I can't possibly see how they are going to enforce this with the thousands of cars on the road. One this for sure, before I change my exhaust, I need to get this figured out.

My Stang:
Old 03-11-2004, 10:50 PM   #10
82 GT
Import Slayer

Blake , I live in Danville. It's a small town 7 miles South of Bloomsburg. I know exactly where Mountain Top is at. It'a about 45 min. from Danville

I think in your case, you will be ok with what you have. If you change your exhaust, I would get hi-flow cats.

In my case, I have didly squat for any type of emissions controls.
I'm lucky if I have a PCV valve still.

If I read that form correct, there is a provision for a COLLECTABLE registration where emissions would be exempt from inspection.
There is one for a MODIFIED vehicle as well. I don't even know which one to apply for..
I also hear people trying to tell me that I need all the emission controls that came factory in 1982 to be intact when I go for inspection. I know that's not true because that's the whole purpose of this 426b form. Why else would they want photos and receipts for all the mods you've done.
If I need all that emission crap to pass inspection now, then I'm pretty much screwed!! All the time and money I sunk into that car will be for nothing........and I will be highly pissed!!
You can PM if you want if you find anything else out about this mess. Thanks
Old 03-11-2004, 11:40 PM   #11
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

I sent you a PM

My Stang:
Old 03-11-2004, 11:49 PM   #12
7DMACH1
Registered Member

I had a Collectible Vehicle tag on my 86 Capri. I got it in Dec. 1996. You had to get a reconstructed title. RAY
Attached Images
File Type: jpg capri on gdr.jpg (39.6 KB, 5 views)
7DMACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 08:55 AM   #13
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

This is an email I received from CJ Pony this morning. It is not real detailed, but I think it tells us who is affected by this. It does not address what to do if you are not in compliance. I think 82 GT's previous post get's into those details.

As of December 1st, PA is going to start doing emissions testing in the area.
The following counties will be effected: Erie, Mercer, Beaver, Washington,
Allegheny, Westmoreland, Cambria, Blair, Centre, Lycoming, Luzerne, Lackawanna,
Northampton, Lehigh, Berks, Dauphin, Lebanon, Lancaster, York, Cumberland,
Chester, Montgomery, Bucks, Delaware and Philadelphia. The remaining counties
in PA will still follow normal PA inspection rules.
> The physical testing of the exhaust gasses applies to OBDII equipped cars,
which is only found on 1996 and newer cars. All cars 1995 and prior will have a
visual inspection only. The visual inspection will look for Catalytic
converter, Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve, Positive crankcase
ventilation (PCV) valve, Fuel inlet restrictor, Air pump, and Evaporative
control system components such as vapor canisters and lines. If the car
originally was equipped with those items, it must be on the car and not
tampered with. All cars will also undergo a Gas Cap Test to ensure that the gas
cap does not leak under pressure.
>
> All H and X pipes we sell that are equipped with high flow catalytic
converters are 50 state smog legal and will pass emissions testing. Off road H
and X pipes will fail the visual inspection and the exhaust gas test.
>
>
> Jason

My Stang:
Old 03-12-2004, 01:49 PM   #14
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

I have all of my emmisions stuff still on the car so I should be OK as far as that goes. If they start crap about motor modifications or what-not, there will be problems!

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote