MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-03-2002, 04:55 PM   #1
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Angry Aggressive Drivers Look HERE!!!

I NEED an explanation!!

Ever since I moved to NJ, I've become a total wreck on the road, thanks to being perpetually tailgated, merged into, and cut off when I'm driving to school and work.

My question is, WHY THE **** do people dangerously tailgate me on the highway when there are slow cars for miles ahead? Do they think if they annoy me enough all of the cars in FRONT of me will MAGICALLY vanish???? leaving them an open road??? I just don't get it!!

Not only that, they have NO idea what kind of person I am. I could be losing my mind, and slam on my brakes at 70 mph, possibly KILLING them, or I could be an old lady keeling over from a heart attack and without warning drive off the road. Either way, by following so closely they are basically trusting ME (a complete stranger) to drive sensibly (something THEY are NOT doing!!!) and be concerned for their welfare. And what about insurance costs??? If they rear end me, they will pay for the damages!!

I can kinda understand the people that tailgate cars that are doing 50 mph in a 65 zone, in the LEFT LANE. That's something to be irate about, and possibly a situation you can alter. But when there is NO WHERE TO GO, is when I just don't understand trying to pressure the driver in front of you...ARGH!!! I just can't stand driving in this area! I miss the open roads of rural Virginia

A highly distressed and homesick Belle...
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 05:09 PM   #2
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

I feel for you.

Try being out here in Cali. I cruise in the SLOW lane at 75 and people constantly fly by me and give me dirty looks, like I'm driving too slow!!

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 06:29 PM   #3
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Unfortunately that seems to be the way people learn to drive in congested areas. I guess being in all that traffic just makes you want to get as far ahead as possible every chance you get and to close any gap in front of you to prevent other people from getting in there. When I drove down to L.A. everyone was tailgating bumper to bumper doing 80 mph and even passing a Sheriff's car.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 09:02 PM   #4
PKRWUD

Belle-
You're in their way. That's it. I know it's stupid, but that's it.

Quote:
Originally posted by blue00gt
When I drove down to L.A. everyone was tailgating bumper to bumper doing 80 mph and even passing a Sheriff's car.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!

You must mean Louisiana, not Los Angeles. Los Angeles has had so much traffic down there, the flow on the freeway hasn't reached 80 mph in 25 years. In fact, it's the one place you'll never get a speeding ticket because the congestion is so thick, you never exceed 55 mph!

Unless of course you were driving between the hours of 2:30 am and 4:30 am. Then, it might be possible for the bulk of traffic to be going that fast.

That was funny, though, thanks!

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 09:55 PM   #5
gt lee

All I can say is your in NEW JERSEY. They drive like idiots there, thats one of the reasons I left a long time ago. And when I went back about 6 yrs ago for my uncle's funeral I got really pi**ed off. They just cut in and out of the funeral procession. NO RESPECT So try to be careful. Sorry just had to say more.Odie
Old 07-03-2002, 10:30 PM   #6
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

I like to swerve from line to line "In my lane that is."
People seem to get as far away as possible. Never brake check! ever.

If its your beater car they sell kill bumper stickers: My son is a honor student at "Brushy Mountain State Penn."
mustangII460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 10:52 PM   #7
Ponygirl67
Registered Member

all I can say is..........thank god I live in the sticks!!! I feel for you belle........driving in the city sucks.....

Mare of the Month-April 2002
Ponygirl67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 11:58 PM   #8
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Angry Tailgaters

Mustangbelle:

It's simply impatience and ignorance combined and not confined to New Jersey, although probably worse there.

Drive defensively.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 12:16 AM   #9
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

it's just as bad in chattanooga belle, thats why, we moved 34 miles north out in the stick's, everyone has to try to get , ahead of everyone else for some reason, i mean duh people leave a little early & you dont have to fly, it' so stupid, i have seen a lot of wreck's because some one has to leave for work 5 minutes before they should be there?, be careful, i will never go to jersey again.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 12:31 AM   #10
HellRaiser92
Registered Member

Talking

LOL I get these kind of drivers all the time. Here's what I do when people ride my bumper. If you have a 5 speed just gently throw it into reverse just enough so your reverse lights come on. Do that a couple times real fast.

If that doesn't work do a combination of things. One time I had my flashers on, brakes flashing, and my reverse lights going also. LOL
Old 07-04-2002, 12:50 AM   #11
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

I know how you feel!!!! We have just as many if not more assholes that drive aggressive here in Missouri. Funny thing is even though a cop has been following you for a while he still never seems to see the economy car come flying up on your *** and proceed to cut you off in traffic so bad that you have to slam on your brakes!!!! And who does he pull over??? YOU!!!!

GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!! Sometimes i just want to run right into somebody thats driving aggressive!!!!!
Old 07-04-2002, 01:02 AM   #12
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by OnMy3rdStang

GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!! Sometimes i just want to run right into somebody thats driving aggressive!!!!!
Look in the paper for a 1970 Cadillac. You can usually pick one up for $500, and when you hit someone while you're driving one, you don't even feel it. The best part is that the thing is so huge, most people steer clear of you anyway.

Just a thought.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 07-05-2002, 12:43 AM   #13
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

Old cadillac.....hhhhhmmmmmmmmm........
Old 07-05-2002, 12:55 AM   #14
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by OnMy3rdStang
Old cadillac.....hhhhhmmmmmmmmm........
Trust me.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 07-05-2002, 01:18 AM   #15
Godslayer
Registered Member

Default you know...

People used to move when a garbage truck was coming close to them, now they pull out in front of them at the last minute. I fear the number of idiotic drivers is increasing at an exponential rate.
Old 07-05-2002, 03:44 PM   #16
86 Grand Marqui
Registered Member

Location: Dover, Delaware...Ft.Pierce, Florida...Hiawassee, Georgia...Las Vegas, Nevada.

Try driving down here if Florida where the average age is 100.The one's that get me are the people who drive on I-95 in the FAST #1 Lane doing the speed limit Not only is that illegal because you are impeding the flow of traffic, it is just plain dumb and dangerous. The SCARY part is Most think its ok.ps: I am not saying the cars that "Move" these people out of the way can't get a speeding citation, I am saying the ones going so slow can also get a citation for hindering the traffic.If they wanna go 70,Fine, Slow Lanes Please.

Last edited by 86 Grand Marqui; 07-05-2002 at 07:23 PM..
86 Grand Marqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 03:55 PM   #17
PKRWUD

LOL. I've gotta admit, of all the places I've driven, Florida was probably the scariest. New Jersey and Los Angeles could be intimidating, I guess, but I learned how to drive in the San Fernando Valley, so places like that are/were a breeze for me. Florida, however, is different. It's very deceptive. Yes, it's true that just about everyone is either going well over the speed limit, or well under it, but what makes it scary is the fact that a good majority of the seniors that are driving down there don't seem to realize that there are other vehicles on the road. You get lulled into a false sense of security, until the gentleman to your left decides he needs to turn right, whether you are there or not. Everytime I'm there I see countless people making last minute decisions, damn everyone else. I'm not saying this doesn't happen in other places, but in Florida, it just seems to happen more. Otherwise, the people are rather friendly, but it's still a risky place to drive. I'll take the turnpike through Newark, or the 405 through Westwood, anytime over driving up A1A.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 07-05-2002, 05:18 PM   #18
Rev
Registered Member

I think we should take the '70 Cad and build a Mel Gibson type car or maybe a Lincoln and make one like in ANIMAL HOUSE. My bet is people in any state would give us room then.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 07:26 PM   #19
86 Grand Marqui
Registered Member

Location: Dover, Delaware...Ft.Pierce, Florida...Hiawassee, Georgia...Las Vegas, Nevada.

@PKRWUD.You are correct
@Rev.
86 Grand Marqui is offline   Reply With Quote