MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-09-2002, 09:03 PM   #1
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Default What should I major in in college???

Ok, well I'll soon be off to regester for classes at the local community college. But the thought has occured to me that I HAVE NO F'IN CLUE WHAT I WANT TO DO!!!!!!!!!! . I'm looking into doing something related with computers. What are some fields I can look into?

To be perfectly honest, I don't really have anything I WANT to do, I really just want something that pays a good amount of money(ie, enough for a house and a familey, and the blown, ARF headed, 331 stroker LX I've always wanted)

Any suggestions will be GREATLY apreciated

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 09:26 PM   #2
The Deuce
Registered Member

Default Best advice I've heard.....

Take this for what its worth Josh, but this is the best advice I can give. A professor at UC Santa Barbara (my alma mater) used to tell students the following.

"Find something you love, that interests you, and spent the next four years studying that. Chances are you will spend the next fourty doing something you don't especially enjoy. But at least you will have spent the time now really learning what interest you, and that will always stay with you."

I majored in accounting, and am working on getting my CPA license. I wake up just about every morning wishing I could build a 351 cleveland up from a bare four bolt block. Someday man someday. You're too young to stress about kids and a house, have some real fun while you are still young enough to get away with it.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 09:27 PM   #3
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

how about a 5.0 major, heheh, just joking josh, what about automobile engineering, then you could design cars? my uncles all work for gm, or retired from gm i could put the word in for you, if you want to build junk, jokin again , but really, what a better way to make a living, than to take the compitions buck's

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 10:26 PM   #4
elliotness
Registered Member

Take classes in general eduaction for the first semester. English, etc, etc. When you get to school think about what you want to do after school. Pursue courses for which you have an interest.

Relax a little, you will figure it out.
elliotness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 10:29 PM   #5
lysacat
Registered Member

I agree with elliotness, I didn't decide what I really wanted to do with my life til I was 29 years old. But I took classes the whole time and took the ones I enjoyed. Good luck, you'll figure it out.
Old 06-09-2002, 11:50 PM   #6
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

That is the beuaty of community college. All you have to do is take general eduacation the first two years and discover what you like. Then maybe you will find what you wanna do and that will determine where you go on after. i am in the same dilemma

Later,
Nick
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 03:05 AM   #7
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

Geez man I know how you feel I still havent made up my mind either. I am going to take BS classes at a community college that way I dont have to waste time and money taking them in a university then I can concentrate on the more important classes. I'm either going to get into Veterinary Medicine or Forensic Science. Either way good luck!
Old 06-10-2002, 09:03 AM   #8
tireburner163

Thanks guys

BTW, Matry, engineering is pretty much out. It take a lot of math and I SUCK at math. On the ACT I was in like the 97-99 percential in reading comprehention, science reasoning, exc. In math I was in the 7th percential.

1998 HD Electra Elide
Old 06-10-2002, 10:58 AM   #9
Mach 1
Registered Member

Join the military...see the world....they will teach you anything you want to know..including computers...for free! You might die in the process, but what the hell....
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 11:32 AM   #10
ed1371
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mach 1
Join the military...see the world....they will teach you anything you want to know..including computers...for free! You might die in the process, but what the hell....
Well, hey...everything has a risk right?

You did mention something very important though...computers. Regardless of what you do get into, knowing your way around computers can benifit you in the long run. As far as the military teaching you about them...ummm well yeah, to an extent. We are always 1-2 steps behind in technology with our working desktops (yeah there are a few 386's still in use!).

My advice is this, go to an A+ certifacation prep course. It covers all the basics and even if you don't take the exam, it is well worth the knowledge it gives you. Take some classes that will give you a good idea how to use Office also (Word alone doesnt cut it!)

Midnite was right though, get those generals out of the way your first year...gives you some time to figure out what want to do.
Old 06-10-2002, 11:51 AM   #11
Coupe Devil

Quote:
Originally posted by tireburner163
Thanks guys

BTW, Matry, engineering is pretty much out. It take a lot of math and I SUCK at math. On the ACT I was in like the 97-99 percential in reading comprehention, science reasoning, exc. In math I was in the 7th percential.
Dude dont rule out engineering. I went to Technical school for two years, got an Associates degree for Computer Aided Drafting. I now work for an Engineering company doing CAD for three Engineers and go to school at night to get my Mechanical Engineering degree. You would be suprised how encouraging my bosses are. They see me as an investment that will pay off greatly in the future. I also SUCK at math, there is alot of math in Engineering but like me you can work through it. My bosses have always helped me whenever I have a problem with class. Like it was said before. Go to a community college for the first two years, you get the basic courses out of the way that oyu have to have anyway, and most of the time it's cheaper to. Look at your options. What are you good at? What do you enjoy doing? If your good at something and enjoy doing it, wheather it be ice fishing or Bear wrestling fo for it. Just make sure that what ever you decide on you enjoy it.

Brad

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 01:09 PM   #12
929PhoenixSquid
Registered Member

Lightbulb You've got time.....

Hey, relax..... You have some time to decide. Hardly anyone ever has a plan from freshman year thru their PhD. It's best to take general education requirements and go from there. If something interests you, then go for it.

SN95 block front and rear seats, Mac catback, BBK off-road H-pipe, Steeda castor camber plates, Steeda lowering springs, Tokico shocks/struts, Alpine/MBQuart/PPI audio mods...
929PhoenixSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 02:16 PM   #13
89LXFLEA
Registered Member

Default DUDE DO THIS

YOU OUGHT TO MAJOR IN

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BURNOUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHH THE SWEET SMELL OF
TIREEEE RUBBER AS IT MELTS OF
THE TIRE ONTO YOUR QUARTER
PANEL OF YOUR STANG, ALSO
ALL OVER THE CAR BEHIND YOU
89LX 302 C4 4:10GEAR X CAM,GT40
IRON HEADS,PERFORMER RPM 650
HOLLEY NO STALL YET, GRIFFEN RADIATOR,MAC EQUAL LENGTH SHORTIES,H-PIPE,PRO DUMPS NOW
IT IS A LITTLE FASTER AT 12.94@106.38
RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER # 47
89LXFLEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 08:45 PM   #14
Mustang_289
Registered Member

You have many options if you decide on the computer high-tech field. Web design, software design, computer support, networking etc. All these fields will allow you to do all you want house, family (future I hope - enjoy get your fast car). You can make lots of money, just remember to always pay your self first. Take 5-10% of your earnings and stash it away in a money-market, this forces you to save automatically.
Mustang_289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 02:15 PM   #15
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Choices

Tireburner 163:

Take the General Ed courses to start off but this year, try to really concentrate on what interests you as a prospective career.

Forget what pays big or what sounds important. A big paycheck won't mean much if you dread going to work every day and you'll end up devoting years to an education and a career that you may eventually just quit out of frustration.

Technical school may be the better option for you. If you really want to work on cars, that's the way to go. If you have a feel for something else, at least look into it and see if it's feasible for you.

Computer-related jobs can be great; lots of opportunities, but you have to spend almost all day in front of a keyboard and a monitor. Heaven for some, hell for others when they have to sit there.

Same with cars. It may be fun working on your own but doing it for other people under a deadline and a boss telling you to do it this way may not be much fun after all. Lots to consider.

At least get started in college but be looking at all the alternatives and options and don't be in a hurry or worry about 'the future' too much right now. Just try to think clearly as to what you want to do and then see if it's a viable option to consider. Don't drift through school and put off the hard choices. Life is too short to waste. Make a plan and go with it but do it on your terms, as much as possible.

I wish you well, Josh.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 02:54 PM   #16
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

Mr 5.0 I couldnt have said it better. I started in community colleget too, and it is really easy to drift there and lose sight of goals. Keep focused even during the general ed classes. also take some computer classes at the same time to see if you like it. See a counselor at your school they even have tests you can take to help you decide on careers.
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
BLACK85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 05:37 PM   #17
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Depends what area of "computers" you are talking about...I hope not IT, because anyone can gather from the recent IT layoffs that the field was a hot and heavy goldmine for a while, but many peeps ended up in the employment line (those who had little or none formal education).

If I were you, I'd take 2 years at community college, and save up money to go to a 4 year university for your degree. This way, you MAJORLY cut your costs, get all your gay core courses out of the way...then you can take the major specific classes and get your degree from a 4 year school.

That's just my opinion...the job market is more ruthless than ever, and you gotta be better than the next guy...if it came down to 2 equally intelligent candidates, and A went to CC, and B went to a state university, 90% chance that B would be hired. Employers seem to be obsessed with credentials on paper in most fields, hence my wasting 4 years in a university
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 06:42 PM   #18
PKRWUD

Default Re: Best advice I've heard.....

Quote:
Originally posted by The Deuce
I majored in accounting, and am working on getting my CPA license. I wake up just about every morning wishing I could build a 351 cleveland up from a bare four bolt block. Someday man someday.
Really? I took auto classes in college, and became ASE Certified. I build race engines, but I wake up just about every morning wishing I could balance my books.

Go figure.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 10:10 PM   #19
tireburner163

Default Re: Re: Best advice I've heard.....

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD

Really? I took auto classes in college, and became ASE Certified. I build race engines, but I wake up just about every morning wishing I could balance my books.

Go figure.

Take care,
-Chris
ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, Belle I like your avaitar

1998 HD Electra Elide
Old 06-13-2002, 01:31 AM   #20
The Deuce
Registered Member

Default Re: Re: Best advice I've heard.....

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD

Go figure.

Take care,
-Chris

Well shoot man! They're supposed to balance?! That's what I've been doing wrong all this time. Seriously though, I think it's the stuff you can't do that impresses you, ya know? Someday I'll get back up to the central coast and we can teach each other.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote