MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-13-2002, 09:48 PM   #1
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

Default Getting car painted

It may be a cheap job, but looks like it will be free. My aunt and uncle install windshields and have worked out a deal with a Maaco shop to fix some rust on my car then paint it. I guess the shop owes them a few favors. Like I said, I don't know the quality of work they will do, but I don't think they could make it any worse. Plus, I just need a paint job that will last a couple years till I get out of school, then I can go back and do everything the right way on the car. Hopefully I will get appointments set up for it next week sometime!

1990 LX
GT-40 motor 262 horsepower, 307ft-lbs (sold but forever loved)

1998 Contour SVT

Rice Haters Club Member #244
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 10:03 PM   #2
mustanggt350
Registered Member

The only advice I have about that is, check out their masking job before it gets shot. Plus check all of the sanding before hand also, if you are present though out the process, I have noticed they do a better job. I have seen a car come from macco that they didn't mask right and the interior was sprayed, and for the sanding, my friend had a shop paint his car and when they removed the emblems they didn't sand out underneath them, he had to do it after the fact and then get it re-shot. That really goes for any shop that you don't have firsthand knowledge of their work. What color are you going with?
mustanggt350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 10:14 PM   #3
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

Cool, thanks for the tips! I am just going with a red again, the cars current color. I assume they won't sand it down completely, so spraying a similar shade would be easiest. But I need to talk to the shop. I really like the deep blue hues, but would be afraid more problems might come with that, such as the inside of a door being red with the rest of the car being blue.

I have just talked with my aunt and not the shop, so I don't know details yet. I just worry a little that since they apparently have some deal with my uncle and aren't making money on this job that they might do really crappy work. Not a chance I would normally take, but at my age and with my funds, I am going for it. Surely even a bad job can look good for two years with good care .

1990 LX
GT-40 motor 262 horsepower, 307ft-lbs (sold but forever loved)

1998 Contour SVT

Rice Haters Club Member #244
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 10:23 PM   #4
mustanggt350
Registered Member

Good idea about not changing the color just yet. I think that always looks tacky when the door jams are a different color. Just wait until you can strip the car down and restore it sometime in the future. Plus you never know, you might find a car that is the color you like, for a sceaming deal!! If you need any more advice, just shoot me an e-mail. s.mustanggt@verizon.net

1991 Medium Red Mustang GT (Scarlet)
mustanggt350 is offline   Reply With Quote