MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-05-2002, 12:01 PM   #81
srv1
Get down.....

Quote:
Originally posted by this is not cbring

what do your black friends truly think about the confederate BATTLE flag?
who cares? seems like only you do. from what i noticed, no one ever said anything on the boards to him about his flag. you seem to be the first. dont like it? oh well, you know where another message board is. don't let the door hit ya' where god split ya'!
Old 10-05-2002, 12:53 PM   #82
DAN-MAN
Confederate Cowboy

Quote:

what do your black friends truly think about the confederate BATTLE flag?
Funny how this thread went from concerning ricers to a racial discussion.

Daniel.

RHC MEMBER #25
DAN-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 01:19 PM   #83
DAN-MAN
Confederate Cowboy

Quote:
Originally posted by srv1.

from what i noticed, no one ever said anything on the boards to him about his flag. you seem to be the first.
You are correct sir. No one has ever said anything negative to me about my avatar. This is not Cbring is the first.

Cbring, my advice to you is just to get over it.

Daniel.

RHC MEMBER #25
Old 10-05-2002, 01:54 PM   #84
digital3.3

cbring is just as bad of a stereotyper as anyone else. the fact that he takes the "rice haters club" name as a racial attack on someone (asian, etc) is quite narrowminded (you did say that in a past post as a insult towards asians). its just a plain dislike of a attitude (an attitude that anyone can have). i have asian friends and they have never seen it as a racial slur, because they can see past the end of there noses. as for his attack on dan-man, grow up, just because he has that doesn't mean he is a racist as you quickly stereotyped him (its was very implyed). oh and my friend has a turboed gti and its not that fast either i have driven it. even he knows that a 5.0 would take him out, as a few has but he enjoys the car he has so all the power to him, but he doesn't come in here and spout off like a whining little brat. later all, have fun.

-murray
Old 10-05-2002, 04:00 PM   #85
Unit 5302
Registered Member

You want the truth? Coming from somebody who's been a member of this board since mid 1999, I'd have to say over the years people here have become "ricer-phobic." They don't know what a ricer is anymore, and any vehicle that has any modification they don't think is particularily cool is therefore a ricer.

In reality, many people here are not car enthusiasts in my honest opinion. They are high performance V-8 Mustang enthusiasts. The only 14-15sec car it's okay to put appearance mods on (conservative wheels, blackouts, oversized cowl induction hood) are Mustangs. Wings are nearly forbidden because they are rice. Nevermind the Mustang has been equipped with optional wings/spoliers since the 1960's. Those are not rice because they are Mustangs. I also say V-8 Mustang enthusiasts because V6 and I4 owners are routinely ripped on here as if the almighty V8 is the symbol of being worthy to post about performance. I find it to be hypocritical. Most people here would trust what PKRWUD has to say, yet his full size Ford truck with a 1000lb load in the back could probably be outrun by a new V6 Mustang without a problem.

They also appear quite sexist when it comes to acceptable mods. A guy talking about putting appearance mods on their car before it's a 13 second car may receive ridicule. A female can put whatever they want on. There are enough leg humpers to inflate the female's ego.

Actually, there doesn't need to be any mod involved at all. If you simply enjoy your car here in a different way than dragging it down a 1/4 mile, you may be ridiculed. Also, if you do something unusual for fun, such as driving a down a dirt road and goofing off people may post threads saying you should be shot, and/or beaten etc.

It's why I'm now very scarce around here. I'd rather hang around with true enthusiasts.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 05:01 PM   #86
jj_jonathon
Trisket

Quote:
Originally posted by Unit 5302
You want the truth? Coming from somebody who's been a member of this board since mid 1999, I'd have to say over the years people here have become "ricer-phobic." They don't know what a ricer is anymore, and any vehicle that has any modification they don't think is particularily cool is therefore a ricer.

In reality, many people here are not car enthusiasts in my honest opinion. They are high performance V-8 Mustang enthusiasts. The only 14-15sec car it's okay to put appearance mods on (conservative wheels, blackouts, oversized cowl induction hood) are Mustangs. Wings are nearly forbidden because they are rice. Nevermind the Mustang has been equipped with optional wings/spoliers since the 1960's. Those are not rice because they are Mustangs. I also say V-8 Mustang enthusiasts because V6 and I4 owners are routinely ripped on here as if the almighty V8 is the symbol of being worthy to post about performance. I find it to be hypocritical. Most people here would trust what PKRWUD has to say, yet his full size Ford truck with a 1000lb load in the back could probably be outrun by a new V6 Mustang without a problem.

They also appear quite sexist when it comes to acceptable mods. A guy talking about putting appearance mods on their car before it's a 13 second car may receive ridicule. A female can put whatever they want on. There are enough leg humpers to inflate the female's ego.

Actually, there doesn't need to be any mod involved at all. If you simply enjoy your car here in a different way than dragging it down a 1/4 mile, you may be ridiculed. Also, if you do something unusual for fun, such as driving a down a dirt road and goofing off people may post threads saying you should be shot, and/or beaten etc.

It's why I'm now very scarce around here. I'd rather hang around with true enthusiasts.
youre right...100%..i try to leave more open-minded posts when people say "OH MY GOD! I CANT BELIEVE SOMEONE DID THIS!"...but about 90% of the people will just look at it in disgust...if someone come son here and asks for appearance advice about thier mustang its like a bashfest or a bunch of narrowminded replies..."you can only get saleen ground effects, anything else is just rice", well if you look at a saleen, its covered in appearance mods, the whole body style has been created to stick out (our vague defintion of rice now includes the damn saleen mustangs)...we cant have xenon even though they all pretty mcuh look alike, because it doenst carry the saleen name...its all about trying to look cool here then too...course if I said I loved the steeda wing (the one that is a touch taller and quite a bit wider with tips) and wanted one, most of you would probably start bashing me, or any pics I posted...sure I dont like giantass fart cans out the back or the sound they make, or construction paper ground effects on anything either....but when they actually put decent parts on their car, I tend to look at it like its nice (whether or not its made in japan)....im incredibly impressed with the subaru wrx and love the 3000GT VR4...and the first time I watched the fast and the furious it was probably the coolest movie all summer...(course i still came outta there saying the good cars were the supra and the charger)....so i should be a ricer...none of us consider our muffler accessories to be rice, why not even though all they do is make you loud (excluding offroad x-pipes etc) ?? since all those giant cans mainly amplify the sound coming from the back of their 4cyl, whats the diff between that and amplifying the sound from an 8cyl? we think the 8cyl sounds nicer, some like bubblebees, but we cant rip apart everything that Ford hasnt produced for a pony car....i feel like we are in a group just like the ricers are...i love racing ricers...a good majority of them around here are nice guys and will give my stang a decent race...in fact, its the ls1 guys that seem the worst in town...so we need to start to think outside the box perhaps...

lets try not to think too deep on what I just said either, because a lot of you guys are really nice people, carry some good conversation and really tend to care about the other people on this site...so im not trying to say we're bad people, just agreeing that we are a bunch of ricer-phobes like unit said...

i still think you started this thread to kcik up somethin though....

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
jj_jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 05:20 PM   #87
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

kell you are right, there was a thread about v-6 stang's being riced, i took up for the sixer's, yes i have seen some riced, but have also seen riced gt's, etc but i dont knock v-6's or 4 banger's, i may kid with josh sometimes, but this guy is getting annoying, now he want's to talk about an army flag, your right , i would rather spend my hard earned money on power, not looks,maybe he will just troll on through. , like i said before i pulled up next to a honda with factory v-tech badge's , gave him a thumb's up, he did likewise, i respected his car.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 10:51 PM   #88
srv1
Get down.....

rice=crap. most rice is Japanese cars. i didnt make it that way, punk kids did! just like domestic rice. those damn punk kids again!
Old 10-05-2002, 11:20 PM   #89
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Quote:
why do you have a confederate battle flag? if you say that you are proud of the south, i say BS. if that were the case, you'd have the actual confederate flag instead of the battle flag that is now seen as a symbol of hatred.

you insisted upon using a word that truly and deeply offended some japanese. regular, hard-working japanese americans that don't even have an interest in cars.

you proudly wave a flag that is deeply resented by many and represents hatred and disrespect.....

i am a southern protestant white male. i've worked very hard to earn respect from those that are different than me. i've worked very hard to dispell southern stereotypes...........and frankly, it pisses me off that all my effort is essential negated by some choad fresh out of high school who is proud of symbols of hatred......

i'm going to start an "Ignorance Haters Club".........can i use your pics off of your webpage for my club website?

BTW Crazy Horse, my two favorite teams are georgia tech and whoever is playing the vols.......i am from knoxville, so you label me a vol fan.........i guess it shouldn't surprise me, you seem to have trouble assuming other stereotypes as truth as well

.....and my car is stock, too
you really are a dumba--- the rebel flag= star's & bars was an army flag, the confederate flag was a goverenment flag, at the time of the civil war boy. less than 10% of the people here even knew what a slave was, educate your self , bubba. i went through my family history, i had 2 great x however many grandfather's die for the south, guess what numb nu-s one of them was from mass. a yankee, uh go figure. it aint hate stupid, it's heritage, it's ok to fly a cuban, mexican, african flag from your house, hey, it's ok with me, i dont have a problem with it, you do little boy. how many times do we have to tell you --- read this slowly, we dont hate import's , just riced out car's, be they import, or domestic, do you understand -domestic..., daY-UM, i may drive to knoxville sunday, where you beez hanging out yo in yo phat wabbit, i'll be there. heheh. , see ya beavis.

R H C- member # 1
Old 10-06-2002, 12:22 AM   #90
jj_jonathon
Trisket

t-p for your bunghole?

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
jj_jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 01:07 AM   #91
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jj_jonathon
t-p for your bunghole?
he's cornholey-oh lol

R H C- member # 1
Old 10-06-2002, 10:49 AM   #92
DAN-MAN
Confederate Cowboy

Quote:
Actually, ricer-phobia, as you call it, would mean having a fear of ricers. That's what phobia means anyways.

I think your right in the retrospect that if a bunch of people don't agree with a person's mods on their cars then they are rice or called something else. I've seen the same thing happen at my vo-tech college. There is this one kid going down there that has flowmasters on a 4.3L v-6 s-10. I think it sounds pretty good (for a v-6). However, most others disagree.

In the end, it comes down to what people see as "cool" mods and what they see as "bad" mods. If they all agree on something then it's cool. If it looks bad to all of them then it's a bad mod. They could care less about it and walk away.

Daniel.

RHC MEMBER #25
Old 10-06-2002, 11:18 AM   #93
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Ricer-Phobia as in fear of being a ricer. So yes, I know what phobia means. Maybe my college psychology courses helped out?

Anyway, I've found it doesn't need to be more than one or two people who dislike the modification. The person(s) disliking it are usually such ricer-phobes that they make as big a deal as possible out of the modification being rice that the rest of the followers (most people) jump on the bandwagon and also delcare it to be rice. It only takes that modification popping up a couple times before it is considered rice, and the followers turn into ricer-phobes as well. Not just because they feel the mod is a ricer mod, but they don't want to break the norms.

Myself, on the other hand, could give a broken down Dodge what most people think. I'll be the first one to point out that the new 13sec Lightning is a ricer because it's got Altezza taillights. Or a car that has mild modifications to make the interior look nicer, like MustangBelle306 is a ricer (she actually received flak on THIS board because of a polished aluminum gauge bezel).

My definition of rice is a little different. It certainly does exist, and it's not "just" an attitiude. I know people who've riced cars just because they think it's funny. Altezza taillights do not equal rice. Fart pipes are ricey if they are oversized. The reason the "fart pipe" is ricey is it's just done for loudass sound. Dynomax exhaust is a true performance modification. While people on this board and elsewhere are quick to point out how it gives little peak performance power over stock fail to realize people do not shift at 4200rpms. The difference an aftermarket exhaust makes at 5500rpms is noticable, at least on my 87 and 88GT's it has been. The "fart pipe" isn't giving any hp anywhere. Ridiculous modification designed to attract attention is what makes a car into a ricer. Is a cowl induction hood rice? Not in my opinion. I hope to hell the owner didn't put it onto their car because other people like them. An attitude can make a person ricer.

CRX with nice aftermarket wheels and blue headlights with a moderate exhaust pipe = not rice.

CRX with 12" hundred spoke gold daytons, blue headlights, 2 sets of blue foglights, Altezzas, headlight covers, single wiper, coffee can exhaust = rice.

Not that it matters. Seems a lot of people on this board have forgotten what true car enthusiasts respect. Caring about your car, and making it look good to you (provided you don't have god awful taste). Putting effort, money, and time into your car to make it better to yourself should never be considered rice. Many of you may have seen the most active thread ever on this board. People from just about any walk-of-life came here to voice their support for the Mustang owner. Wonder if it had happened on another board to an Integra whether people from this board would have been so supportive, or whether the topic here would have been "ricer gets car beat."
Old 10-06-2002, 12:27 PM   #94
PKRWUD

Quote:
Most people here would trust what PKRWUD has to say, yet his full size Ford truck with a 1000lb load in the back could probably be outrun by a new V6 Mustang without a problem.
Not sure where you're going with that, Kell.

I too have been here since early '99, and I agree that things around here aren't the same. I don't know that I'd use the term "ricer-phobic", but I do understand what you mean, and for the most part, agree with you. I thought I did a pretty good job of detailing what makes a ricer a ricer when I posted earlier, but there are so many different opinions here, it was probably just skipped over.

Marty came up with the idea of the Rice Hater's Club as a joke, but a few of us saw it as a chance to redefine what we felt was rice. The four picture pages on the website are the best examples we've been able to find. If, after viewing them, you disagree with our opinions, and think we're being "ricer-phobic", I for one will be very surprised. I'd appreciate your input, Kell.

As far as cbring is concerned, this guy likes to stir the pot, and see what happens. In his defense, some really good discussions often come about that way, but this one has been beaten to death. His questions have been answered.

cbring-
I don't have a problem with you wanting to understand things, but if you're going to ask questions of the members here, don't decide before you even get the answers that those answers are wrong. You seem like a fairly intelligent person, but you're a little too politically correct for this crowd. I've found that people who are offended by a name or term, or for that matter, a flag in an avatar, regardless of what that name or term refers to, or what that person has to say, are generally insecure, and feel like the world should change to please them. We haven't said anything degrading to people of Japanese descent, and DAN-MAN hasn't said anything racist either. You are the one that took something, and branded it racist. That means that you are the one that has a problem with them, and you are trying to make it our problem. That's wrong, and won't win you many friends. You need to realize that there are more dimensions to things than just the few that you know, and that yours aren't necessarily correct.

Good luck.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 01:46 PM   #95
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Well Chris you summed everything up perfectly, IMO.

Remember rice is an attitude. It's hard to explain to someone who doesn't understand. It would be like trying to explain how exactly the "force" works in Star Wars. It's pretty hard. Go to our pic page and see what We at the RHC mean as "rice"

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 04:00 PM   #96
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Neither have I visited the RHC pages, nor am I a member. There are enough things to be upset about these days than kids looking for attentionn by making their car look stupid.

PKRWUD, I was using your truck as an example. People here respect your opinions, as long as it has nothing to do with computers It's aimed at those who refer to nice looking slower cars as rice, simply because they can't run 13s. I doubt your truck runs 13s, and because of that, people who would accuse others of not being performance enthusiasts simply because the car they drive is slower are being hypocritical. I was using you as an example of somebody who's a performance enthusiast who doesn't necessarily own a fast vehicle.

95mustanggt, I have to disagree with rice being an attitude, except in the case of people being ricers. Cars are not ricers based on that theory because cars don't have a conscious attitude. Although you as the president should have an inkling as to the specific type of rice the RHC is targeting.

I would agree with you that "not cbring" got peeved and went over the line, dragging a lot of BS in here, but I think overall, he's probably a car enthusiast who really wanted to see a Mustang board that was filled with car enthusiasts more than just Mustang enthusiasts. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, and just deciding maybe he doesn't know quite as much about history, and how people feel about it as he thinks he does. I think having import owners on this board is an asset. They are generally much more into import performance, and can help size up what the competition is up to. Those import people who would joing the board must truely like cars, and not just imports.
Old 10-06-2002, 04:29 PM   #97
Rev
Registered Member

Default I hate to say it

My feeling is tha the term "rice" has just gotten to mean "something that someone doesn't like". Originally, it meant Jap cars period, coming from the term "rice burners". My '94 ForeRunner or my wifes 2000 ES300 would qualify from the old meaning. Now with all the modified Hondas, "rice" means an ugly, ill-considered, modified anything".

If we hate "ugly, ill-considered, modified cars", then why don't we just tag them as that. To me, "rice" will always just mean "rice burner", i.e., any Jap (or Asian) car, modified or not.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe

Last edited by Rev; 10-06-2002 at 07:13 PM..
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 07:09 PM   #98
zepherman
Registered Member

I totally agree with REV. Thats the way I have always seen it.
90 GT 25th Anni. Did the AOD to T-5 swap, SPEC clutch, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, BBK 2½ inch off-road H pipe, Flows, BBK 70mm TB/EGR, Ford Racing aluminim driveshaft, 3.55's, welded subframes, Ram Air, 3 core radiator, NOS dry kit 75 shot, and a K&N filter.

12.9 @ 108
zepherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 07:23 PM   #99
zepherman
Registered Member

In addition to my previous post, i would like to add something. Just because someone drives a foreign/rice car, it doesn't mean they should be ragged on. Just because someone drives a foreign/rice car that is modded, it doesnt mean that they should be ragged on. Now, when someone pulls up next to you in a foreign/rice car with a 3 foot wing, 8 different colored car, and a 3 inch exhaust tip when the rest of the exhaust pipe is 1½ inches and continuously revs his motor at you when you and the guy both know that his car is definately slower than yours, and then he just sits there when the light turns green, then you can start ragging on him.
90 GT 25th Anni. Did the AOD to T-5 swap, SPEC clutch, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, BBK 2½ inch off-road H pipe, Flows, BBK 70mm TB/EGR, Ford Racing aluminim driveshaft, 3.55's, welded subframes, Ram Air, 3 core radiator, NOS dry kit 75 shot, and a K&N filter.

12.9 @ 108
zepherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 07:35 PM   #100
DAN-MAN
Confederate Cowboy

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD
cbring-
I don't have a problem with you wanting to understand things, but if you're going to ask questions of the members here, don't decide before you even get the answers that those answers are wrong. You seem like a fairly intelligent person, but you're a little too politically correct for this crowd. I've found that people who are offended by a name or term, or for that matter, a flag in an avatar, regardless of what that name or term refers to, or what that person has to say, are generally insecure, and feel like the world should change to please them. We haven't said anything degrading to people of Japanese descent, and DAN-MAN hasn't said anything racist either. You are the one that took something, and branded it racist. That means that you are the one that has a problem with them, and you are trying to make it our problem. That's wrong, and won't win you many friends. You need to realize that there are more dimensions to things than just the few that you know, and that yours aren't necessarily correct.
Well put.

Daniel.

RHC MEMBER #25