MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-13-2003, 03:27 PM   #1
0h n0 5.0
Registered Member

Default Good samaritan?

heres the scoop, was at work yesterday, not workin jus shopping and i walk out the door. as i'm walking, I notice our security officer havin a problem with stoppin a suspect. (she's a short, petite lil black woman) the suspect, a guy was at least a foot taller than her, an the only backup I see is our other security guy, a bigger guy, but he's several aisles away.. the guy bolts from her hold an runs out the door right past me. i could have easily tripped the ****** up or tackled him..but i didn't.

now, i'm not sure about our policy of stoppin thives, while in uniform or on the clock. I beleive we can only chase them to the edge of our building before we call the cops. but should i have interveaned, as a good samaritan, not as a worker-since i was outa uniform an off the clock?

the thieve was some punk teenager. so i'm not exactly threatened by em if your wondering.

1994 GT 5.0l
0h n0 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 04:25 PM   #2
8T4SVOChick
Mustang Junkie

In my opinion, I think you should have intervened and tried to stop him or something, but on the other hand, how would your place of employment take that. Some places don't want people intervening. Who knows? One of those screwed if you did and screwed if you didn't.

Asst. Editor,
GirlsCanToo
Event/Race Coord.,
Texas Rep.,
TeamGC2

Mustang Forum Moderator @
FordSpeed.net
DFW Forum Moderator @ LoneStarStangs
Visit FordCustoms!
8T4SVOChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 12:00 PM   #3
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

If he was running and you had tripped him and he fell on his face, I think there could be legal issues for you. I probably would have helped, just because thats the kind of person I am, but at the time I wouldnt have given second thought to legal actions. It would have just been a natural reaction to stop the guy. Even though you may feel you should intervene, sometimes its just not the best thing to do, though I am no one to preach.
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 01:09 PM   #4
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

Yeh sometimes it's easier to let him go with whatever he took then stop him. It could be a legal matter, appose to a small theft charge which he'll be let off with a slap on the wrist. He's probably learned his lesson not to go that store again. Although I know I would of really debated stopping him. I would of probably just walked infront of him, and tried to slow him down.

-Sam.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 09:33 PM   #5
DAN-MAN
Confederate Cowboy

You probably did the right thing in not intervening. There's no telling what your store's policy on this kind of matter is and you could have possibly lost your job or something, ya follow my drift?

RHC MEMBER #25
DAN-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 12:57 AM   #6
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

LEGALLY, Being off the clock and out of uniform, I think you made a good decision (b/c of all the legalities of it) in a small amount of time. Good for you. MORALLY, seems like you did the right thing as well. Now if that person had hurt another, depending on the ramifications of the situation, I would've stepped in.

All in all, I think you made a good choice in the short amount of time you had to decide. Better to err (just to use a term) on the side of the law (in this case)-- out of uniform, off duty, not your problem...especially for a few dollars worth of items--- if that was the case.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 02:06 AM   #7
aford50lx
Registered Member

I think you did the right thing,seeing as you were not working at the time.But if it were me i might have tried to trip him up a bit,cause you were not in uniform and all,but who knows these things have a way of going against you even if you have good intentions,the guy was probally a scumbag anyway,and is it really worth your job,not knowing what your employer might do to you cause you were not on the clock? A little food for thought ....huh?
Old 06-15-2003, 02:08 AM   #8
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Lets change things up a bit.

Lets say you grabbed him, and he pulls a gun and shoots you. Was it worth dying over some material items? I doubt it.

I say you did the right thing. Being a good witness is better than being killed.

I have not seen it around here but have read about loss prevention persons chasing someone into the street, and getting them hit.

It's funny how crooks are not worth squat to anyone, even their family when their alive. But when their dead, they become the most loved person on earth, worth millions and family can't live without them. Atleast thats what the family tells the judge when your in court.

Call 911 and those folks handle it. Unless someones life is in danger, I say good job.
Old 06-15-2003, 02:16 AM   #9
aford50lx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mustangII460
Lets change things up a bit.

Lets say you grabbed him, and he pulls a gun and shoots you. Was it worth dying over some material items? I doubt it.

I say you did the right thing. Being a good witness is better than being killed.

I have not seen it around here but have read about loss prevention persons chasing someone into the street, and getting them hit.

It's funny how crooks are not worth squat to anyone, even their family when their alive. But when their dead, they become the most loved person on earth, worth millions and family can't live without them. Atleast thats what the family tells the judge when your in court.

Call 911 and those folks handle it. Unless someones life is in danger, I say good job.

DAMMM GOOOD POINT!!!!!!!!! ENOUGH SAID!!!! I DIDNT EVEN THINK ABOUT THAT!!!!
Old 06-15-2003, 02:24 AM   #10
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by mustangII460
... loss prevention persons...

"Loss prevention persons???" You mean security guards??? Ha. You sound like my brother who use to be a deputy for about 5 years. He also use to say, hey, don't try to be a hero. Call 911 and let them handle it, it's there JOB!!
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote