MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-17-2003, 08:26 AM   #1
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

Default Power Heads

it seems like every thread is about 1 of like 5 things... but this time it's heads again.

the power heads seems like a great head, aside from the weight savings of aluminum, is there any reason not to use these heads with a set of scorpion rockers?

lets assume I DO get these heads... this is for street/strip daily driver, but I dont care about rough idle and all that crap, I want this thing to be fast. What intake would work best and what cam with all of this together.

Thans for answering the same questions over and over again.. that's what makes this board so great..
-as
Old 01-17-2003, 09:26 AM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

The power heads are some heads. I am gonna go with some power heads and a Holley Systemax intake later this year.

I see no reason not to use them.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 08:03 PM   #3
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Valvetrain is crap in them and will cost you more money in the long run to replace than the heads are worth. Do a search, these heads have been brought up several times in the last while.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:01 PM   #4
srv1
Get down.....

i say go with ported gt40p's...
Old 01-18-2003, 10:14 PM   #5
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 91GTturbo
Valvetrain is crap in them and will cost you more money in the long run to replace than the heads are worth. Do a search, these heads have been brought up several times in the last while.
That is a total load of BS. I know several guys running deep 12's and 11's with the power heads with E and F cams.

With power heads, a systemax intake, F-303 cam, LT headers, exhaust and all the bolt ons a 88GT pulled 329RWHP on the dyno just a couple of weeks ago.

Thats not JMO its fact,
Old 01-19-2003, 03:32 PM   #6
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_5.0
That is a total load of BS. I know several guys running deep 12's and 11's with the power heads with E and F cams.

With power heads, a systemax intake, F-303 cam, LT headers, exhaust and all the bolt ons a 88GT pulled 329RWHP on the dyno just a couple of weeks ago.

Thats not JMO its fact,
Yea, and I saw a 302 with just TW heads, intake, ungraded fuel system, and a single turbo put down 494 rwhp and 536 ft/lbs of torque on a 103* day with 9 lbs of boost. What's it prove? Only that it can be done and that's fact, not JMO.

I never said the heads couldn't make any power, I just said the valvetrain in them is crap and that's not JMO, it's fact. I said do a search, here and some of the other mustang sites, you'll see.

Last edited by 91GTturbo; 01-19-2003 at 08:39 PM..
91GTturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 06:42 AM   #7
88workcar
Registered Member

Cool

Well I have always been a big fan of POWER HEADS. This is the first that I hear of a problem with them. I was planning to purchase a set real soon. I will now wait to see were this goes. Although I know that they have bronze valve guides. These cost $12 to replace, not bad in my book. It is also my understanding that TFS uses bronze liners and a while back they had some real valve train issues. I am staying unbiased on this one, but I would like to see the negative on the PH just to know.
To be old and wise, You must first be young and stupid I'm somewhere in tthe middle.
88workcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 09:33 AM   #8
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 91GTturbo
Yea, and I saw a 302 with just TW heads, intake, ungraded fuel system, and a single turbo put down 494 rwhp and 536 ft/lbs of torque on a 103* day with 9 lbs of boost. What's it prove? Only that it can be done and that's fact, not JMO.

I never said the heads couldn't make any power, I just said the valvetrain in them is crap and that's not JMO, it's fact. I said do a search, here and some of the other mustang sites, you'll see.
LOl....A single turbo or a twin turbo is all just a matter of preference. Both set-ups can make equal power.

The only heads I know of that have valve trane problems are World Products Sportsman II's.

I see the Powerheads in action on a nearly daily basis. I just dont see how a car can pull 12.1's and 12.2's all season with Powerheads if they are junk.

Anyways lets just agree to disagree, Afterall what do I know

Later,
Old 01-20-2003, 10:49 AM   #9
briand
Registered Member

i believe i saw these heads advertised in mm&ff or 5.0 i cannot remember, but i don't understand why someone would want to pay $800 or so to buy these heads when you can for $200 or more get a set of heads that are superior to these. i mean for a stock head they are great, but i don't believe they can hang with the alum heads
GT-40X heads(58cc), Cobra upper and lower, 75 mm Bullet, Moroso fenderwell induction, FRPP 65mm TB, 24# injectors, black magic electric fan, phenolic spacer, 1.7 crane cobra roller rockers, crane 2031, BBK 1 5/8 equal length hearders, 2.5 inch off road pipe, 2.5 flowmaster catback, FMS 3.55 gears, T5-Z transmission, FRPP aluminum driveshaft, svo heavy duty clutch, mcleod bullet proff bellhousing, BBK adjustable cluth quadrant, hurst billet shifter, lakewood subframes, BBK strut tower brace, BBK 2pt lower cross bar, FMS 190 lph fuel pump, crane ps91 coil, FMS street pulleys, and 300+ race wires. All thanks goes to my wife sheri, jason, jeff, robby, my dad and all others you helped contribute. most importantly GOD!!!
briand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 08:43 PM   #10
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Quote:
[/i]
That said, here’s the cost:

E7 pedestal heads-------------------$317
1.90x1.60 forged SS valves
solid bronze guides
.550 lift HD springs

CNC port, hand finish-----------------$358
3 angle valve
--
Itemized bill
Core-----$150
parts-----$317
labor-----$358
shipping-$87
-----------
total----$912 (you get the $150 core back, and they pay for return shipping of the old heads)

A set of power heads went to a machine shop we use to get checked out after the valves seized in the guides after ~5 minutes of running. The machine shop gave the heads very bad marks. All the intake guides were installed at an angle, the seats were the real old flame hardened style seats that were then 3-angle ground removing the hardening. The valves were extremely low grade, and the valve springs were estimated to work with a stock cam to ~4500 rpm due to low tension. The only good thing said about them was the CNC porting was nice. Power heads would not warranty them and the cost to correct the problems ran ~800 dollars plus having to use ball mount style rocker arms to not wear the intake valve stems from the crooked valve guide holes that Power heads made in the heads. After seeing the problems on those heads and power heads response, nobody should buy them.

I've had Power Heads on my 93GT. E7 castings.
You only pay shipping once. They send pre-paid stamps for the core to be returned.
The Heads gave impressive gains. Better than Edelbrock on my Girls 91GT. BUT>>>I used 1qt of oil every 1000 miles after the swap. The valve guides were most likely the culprit.
The workman ship is very shotty aside from the port job. Who bead blasts heads!!! This left little ball bearings in ALL the nooks & crannies. Including all threads. They say "tap all threads to make sure they're clean." The problem is they also paint the heads, so the beads are painted in the threads. I broke a tap off in one of the valve cover holes. (NOT FUN!)
Because of the "issues" the prep work took 2 days (10+ hours) before they were fit to be installed. Then the oil leak on top of that......not something I'd do again.
Aside from that, the customer service sucks! Took over 10 weeks to get my core back.

I must have got lucky, I ordered my heads and had them less than 3 weeks later. Got the return tag and had my core $$$ in about 2 weeks. Mind you this includes shipping to and from CA.I am in MA, 3000+ miles away.

I have the base springs and a cam similar to the E-303.I am using the TFS Stage 1 cam.

I have no problem running to 6000 rpms with the base spring package. I have a link to my dyno sheet in my sig.

I have no issues with oil use, just added 1 quart of oil over the last 3200 miles.
Heads were not excessively painted, I did take them apart to clean them off, a quickie blast with some brake cleaner. Did not tap the boltholes.

If you do decide to go with the Power Heads, the TFS Stage 1 cam is a great cam for those heads and ~$40 less than the E303.

Crane Cams grinds both cams, so the quality is the same.

Here is just a few of the quote's I found through the internet. There were more good quotes, I chose not to copy them as I just wanted to give you guys a few of the reasons I chose not to go with them myself. I ordered my Edelbrock's through Summit for $925. I just think it's worth saving a little longer and then not having to kick yourself later.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:43 AM   #11
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I have seen the same types of problems with AFR and trickflow heads as well as world products.

My brother went from stock camel hump heads to World products Sportsman II's and ran 5 tenths slower. The machine shop said his $1,100.00 heads were beyond repair. Then we were told by World products that that is just too bad.

I am at the point now where I am wondering who can you trust,
Old 01-21-2003, 10:05 AM   #12
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

I just have a hard time justifing spending 800 bucks on a set of ported E7's.

I'd way rather drop $200 bucks more and have a nice set of Aluminum heads.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 10:59 AM   #13
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

you DO save some weight with aluminum, but you have other issues to deal with... the oxidation of aluminum can be a pain.. things liek to seize to aluminum very easily, plus they are very sensative to heat... and can warp easily as well... I know you can avoid all of these conditions with antiseize and not overheating your engine... but aisde from teh weight, the aluminum doesnt make the heads better.. other then the fact maybe the casting is of a different shape.. but flow is flow right? if you can outflow the edlebrock or TFS heads and do it for less, why NOT save the 200 bucks? I dont mind spending the money if I'm going to get something for it.. otherwise I can put myself on a diet and save 200 bucks.
-as
Old 01-21-2003, 05:16 PM   #14
briand
Registered Member

chuck, another way to look at this, is to say, you can buy the alum heads and they are not ported to the max, stock they outflow the power heads or they are equal, but that is unported. you still have alot more you can go with them. plus you have the weight savings, your old heads, and a superior design. alum heads are not just a better version of the stock head, it is a better design, so while the power heads are worked to the max to keep up with the alum heads, the alum heads have alot more potential. i purchased the gt-40x heads because i wanted a head that ford put out so i wouldn't have to worry about them not being reliable (not that all alum heads aren't) but after 3 yrs i have had not 1 problem with them. impressive gain and stock type reliablity. good luck. i hope this made sense

brian
GT-40X heads(58cc), Cobra upper and lower, 75 mm Bullet, Moroso fenderwell induction, FRPP 65mm TB, 24# injectors, black magic electric fan, phenolic spacer, 1.7 crane cobra roller rockers, crane 2031, BBK 1 5/8 equal length hearders, 2.5 inch off road pipe, 2.5 flowmaster catback, FMS 3.55 gears, T5-Z transmission, FRPP aluminum driveshaft, svo heavy duty clutch, mcleod bullet proff bellhousing, BBK adjustable cluth quadrant, hurst billet shifter, lakewood subframes, BBK strut tower brace, BBK 2pt lower cross bar, FMS 190 lph fuel pump, crane ps91 coil, FMS street pulleys, and 300+ race wires. All thanks goes to my wife sheri, jason, jeff, robby, my dad and all others you helped contribute. most importantly GOD!!!
briand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 06:23 PM   #15
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Aluminum heads are lighter but they are not nearly as durable. Like for Nitrous applications, I would much rather have a good set of cast heads with Nitrous.

Anyways there is a limit as to how big of a head to use on a 302 bigger ports isnt always better. Mantaining a good air velocity is key to making good power.

Later,
Old 01-21-2003, 09:47 PM   #16
88workcar
Registered Member

Cool

Why do you all have to pay $800 when I see them advertized for $695?
To be old and wise, You must first be young and stupid I'm somewhere in tthe middle.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:49 PM   #17
90GT Vert
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_5.0
The power heads are some heads. I am gonna go with some power heads and a Holley Systemax intake later this year.

I see no reason not to use them.
I read in a MM&FF a set of powerheads are $800. not-outstanding, add $200 more and you can get a set of AFR's
90GT Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 09:02 PM   #18
88workcar
Registered Member

Cool

PLEASE TELL ME WHERE TO GET AFR'S FOR $1000, I WILL ORDER TONIGHT
Old 01-22-2003, 11:15 PM   #19
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I think my E7's are as good as the power heads except for the smaller valves. If anything I would just get bigger valves put in my E7's. Cause mine are pretty damn ported.

Pics of my ported heads can be found in this thread.

head pics
Old 01-23-2003, 02:40 AM   #20
Dog5ohfun
Registered Member

Default Power Heads

Just wanted to put in my opinion of the power heads. They are great for the money. They are only about $760 or something with shipping. I have put about 15000 miles on the engine since it has been rebuilt and I haven't had any problems with the heads. I am actually in the process of getting a custom grind cam that will use the potential of the heads. I read in the January 2003 issue of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords on page 77 that the heads are very good above 5800rpm. The E303 cam drops power at 5500rpm. For the money they are great. Everyone I know that has them are very satisfied. A friend had a set on his car with a 150 shot of Nitrous and was in the 11's. But again it is about opinion and how much you want to spend. Decide what you are going to do with the engine before you buy heads. Mine are temporary for a couple of years.
Black 1990 LX DSS Racing Super Pro Bullit 331, AFR 185, Anderson B31 Cam, 1.6 DSS rockers, Cobra Intake w/ 2 phenolic spacer, Aluminum DS, 3.73 gears, Tremec 3550, Lakewood SFI Bellhousing, MSD Digital 6+, Spintech Side Exhaust,
Dog5ohfun is offline   Reply With Quote