MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-23-2002, 06:13 PM   #1
Bad_intentions
Registered Member

Default Why does it matter?

I was just talking to my friends parents who are getting him a Used cobra, and then horsepower and speeding come up. His defense (which I thought was pretty good) was:
If Car A has X Hp
And Car B has X+40 hp
And you are doing 60 whats the difference between it? Go faster? Hes is scared shitless when my cousin does 85? Race? Well maybe.

What do you think?

If the road to hell is paved with good intentions, then is the road to heaven paved with bad ones?
Bad_intentions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 06:41 PM   #2
Mach 1
Registered Member

Depends on if he is an experienced driver or not, and mature.

Inmature, inexperienced drivers can get in a lot more trouble with more horsepower than with less.

Thers more to the equation than speeding, such as wreckless driving, racing, etc...and Im sure his parents are well aware of that.

Im speaking from personal experience..
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 06:53 PM   #3
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Horsepower - wants and needs

The difference in getting from 0 to 60 mph between a 150 HP car and a 350 HP car is very noticable. A good five seconds, which is an eternity in racing, as you know.

It's the ability to do that - jump from zero to sixty or sixty to one hundred in a very few seconds - that can make the high HP car dangerous, especially in the hands of an inexperienced driver.

Add to that the temptation to speed (and race) in the high HP car and there is a real difference that trancends just cruising down the road at sixty, in which case, HP makes no real difference. Clever argument but I would respond; "Why have a high HP car if you're never going to need or use the power?"
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 07:10 PM   #4
Bad_intentions
Registered Member

Default Re: Horsepower - wants and needs

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr 5 0
"Why have a high HP car if you're never going to need or use the power?"
He wants to hear the V8 go bub bub bub bub.

If the road to hell is paved with good intentions, then is the road to heaven paved with bad ones?
Old 04-23-2002, 09:22 PM   #5
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

The two most dangerous things about a high hp car with a inexperianced driver are, IMO

1) Their tendancy to fish tail(know that one from experance). A inexperianced driver won't know how to correct. A good driver wouldn't have gotten into the situation in the first place.

2) Their ability to break triple digit speeds with easy

BTW, IMO having a Cobra just for the sound is retarded and a waste of a good muscle mustang.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 10:08 PM   #6
Bad_intentions
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tireburner163
BTW, IMO having a Cobra just for the sound is retarded and a waste of a good muscle mustang.
Yea thats what I said. I told him to get a Truck/SUV, but he wants a Muscle car, and he doesn't know the difference between a throttle body and seatbelt. Things like that make me really mad you know?

Old 04-24-2002, 06:08 AM   #7
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bad_intentions

he doesn't know the difference between a throttle body and seatbelt. Things like that make me really mad you know?
oh so you were born with a huge knowledge of cars???
I think that is a very ignorant comment. Do I know anything about working on cars? Hell NO. Am I learning? yes. What dopes it really matter whether he knows how to work on his car? Everyones gotta start somewhere. Maybe he will learn how to work on and mod a car with this cobra.

There is a big difference between riding shot gun and doing 85mph and being ant the wheel donig 85. When your driving you feel like your in control. I don't like when people do 85 when i'm in the ca but I've driven 85 numerous times.

Who cares why he buys the Cobra whether for its sound or its speed it really doesn't matter. Its his car and his parents money and I personallay could care less if he drives around like hes on geritol and not abusing the cobra.

JAMES
Old 04-24-2002, 08:45 AM   #8
95mustanggt
Registered Member

RAGE_5.0 I don't think he was meaning to "attack" his friend with his comment about a TB and a seatbeat. I think it was meant to illistrate his freinds knowledge about cars.

You could always use the "it will be a collector's car" arguement with a Cobra. That's one of the reasons I would buy one over a GT. Yes there is a performance difference, but we all know that you can make a GT just as fast, if not faster if you want to spend the money. But no matter what you do to a GT it is still a GT and not a Cobra.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 12:21 PM   #9
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Quote:
Originally posted by RAGE_5.0

oh so you were born with a huge knowledge of cars???
Well....no, but I had a deep understanding of them by age 10

Quote:
Originally posted by RAGE_5.0
[B]I think that is a very ignorant comment. Do I know anything about working on cars? Hell NO. Am I learning? yes. What dopes it really matter whether he knows how to work]
Exactly, your learning. I regard you as a car enthusiest. He only want's the car for the sound.

People like that irk me off. IMO, they don't really deserve it. There should be some type of test to make sure you are a true car guy, before you are allowed to buy a Cobra

But then again this is the real world. You don't always get what you want, what you deserve,.....or maybe what you need.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 01:28 PM   #10
lyonsd
Registered Member

Default Re: Why does it matter?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bad_intentions
What do you think?
It's better to have a lot of horsepower and not need it than to need a lot of horsepower and not have it.

For example, what if your city were invaded by giant radiactive man-eating spiders, and everybody was fleeing the city with the spiders in hot pursuit. What would you rather be in - a Cobra or a Yugo?

Last edited by lyonsd; 04-25-2002 at 06:34 AM..
lyonsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 01:42 PM   #11
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

Default Re: Re: Why does it matter?

Quote:
Originally posted by lyonsd

For example, what if your city were invaded by giant radiactive man-eating spiders, and everybody was feeing the city with the spiders in hot pursuit. What would you rather be in - a Cobra or a Yugo?
Thats the exact reason I bought my Stang.

LOL!!
190 LPH fuel pump, 3-row radiator,
Maximum Motorsports full length subframes

2002 Oldsmobile Bravada(wife's car)
2005 Ford Taurus SEL (company ride)

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS !!!!
MTU 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 02:08 PM   #12
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Quote:

It's better to have a lot of horsepower and not need it than to need a lot of horsepower and not have it.

For example, what if your city were invaded by giant radiactive man-eating spiders, and everybody was feeing the city with the spiders in hot pursuit. What would you rather be in - a Cobra or a Yugo?
LMAO!! Good point. I better tell my wife I need those TFS heads now, just incase...

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 02:17 PM   #13
Mach 1
Registered Member

Quote:

Cant argue with that, and also the exact reason I bought my stang as well....
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote