MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-17-2001, 07:33 PM   #1
stevstum
Registered Member

Post Camaros owners crack me up.

My bro-in-law has an 83 z28 and is always working on it, but is always cracking jokes that Ford stands for (fix or repair daily). So I see him in front of our Perants house replacing the ground cable and ask him who works on there car more. My 89 hatch is the most reliable car I have ever had and I just tune it, put tires on it and put gas in it.

So, I want to know who works on there car, fixing probles, more. Mustang owners or Camaro owners.

------------------
Steve Stumbaugh

89 LX 5.0 5sp.
Removed air silencer
Motorcraft 8mm wires
Autolite platinum plugs
stevstum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2001, 08:49 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation

Moved to the Blue Oval Lounge forum.

------------------
Mr. 5.0
Messageboard Administrator
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2001, 09:01 AM   #3
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Lightbulb

All I know is that when I was in High school I had an '82 Camaro with a 2.8 V6. I had that car for 1 year and I spent 3 months underneath it changing the transmission, clutch, linkages, fuel pump, headlights, tailslights, fuses, as well as tires, gas, shocks, and the usuall wear items. My mustang (which is a a couple years newer than the camaro was at the time) I have...added gas, cleaned the K&N, and bought new rubber. And I've owned my mustang already twice as long as the camaro.

As a side note the camaro ended up taking dump. With major engine repair needed I sold the car for $250 (plus the guy I sold it to had to find a way to get it off my property). The only thing worth anything on that car was were the tires, 'cause I just bought them.

On the plus side, I did learn a lot more about cars!

------------------
Driving: 1998 F-150
Far way in Edmonton==>
1995 Mustang GT
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2001, 09:28 AM   #4
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

Well my brother had a 83 Camaro 305. Then I have my 1990 GT. Actually I spend more time on my car working on it just because I am doing upgrades. He never has very many problems with his Camaro and it runs excellent for a 305. With any older car you are going to run into problems no matter ford, chevy, or dodge.

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, A9P Computer, Cobra Transmission, Extrude Ported and Polished Upper and ported Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Holley Fuel Regulator, March Underdrive Pulleys, Perma-Cool Fan, 3-Core Radiator, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 79mm Mass Air Unit, FlowMaster Exhaust w/BBK Offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2001, 01:19 PM   #5
fastang
Registered Member

So far I replaced the rack n pinion and my trans, the trans was probably my fault though.

------------------
95GT B303 cam, 1.7 rockers, 65mm TB, 73mm MAF, milled heads, 355's K&N, BBK Longtubes, Flowmaster cat back, pulleys, msd coil, 9mm wires, Tremec 3550, Pro5.0 shifter,10.5 Motorsport clutch, FMS aluminum driveshaft, weld in subframe connectors
fastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2001, 06:30 PM   #6
GONZO99TA
Registered Member

most older cars have their problems.
then some have more than others due to the owners.
i got my 79 ta when i was 15. this car was fairly reliable. in the couple years i used it as a daily driver it never left me stranded. yeah it had a few problems. i had the carb rebuilt, tranny rebuilt & new water pump. other than that it was all normal wear and tear items. not too bad imo.
now i recently had a freind that had one of those starion turbos. now if he would have just left that car alone it might have ran more than it did! he always wanted to make something better breaking two other parts in the process.
it is hard to judge reliability of any car until you factor in the owner!

------------------
99 30th annv. Trans am
79 Trans am black se
GONZO99TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2001, 10:13 PM   #7
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

You guys should check out this LS1 camaro. I know it's a chevy, and I don't like camaros either, but you have to give this guy credit for what he's done. I'm not sure if I believe him, but he's funny as hell for a red neck. Check it out.
11.50 ET stock long block camaro, believe it or not The trick is weight saving, he got his 98 LS1 to weigh 2980 lbs. If my car weighed that I'd be running 13.40s!! I want someone to get a stang to run 11s with a stock long block. Be sure to check out his page about weight saving tips!!! Peace.

------------------
Michael Black
Quantum Motorsports
Norman, Oklahoma

1988 Merc Cougar 5.0 HO, Ported and Polished E7TEs, 2.25" duals w/ 2 chamber flowmasters, T5 tranny
New E/T!!!
14.626 @ 94.94mph, 2.194 60' time, a little better than last time. Keep in mind this thang is heavy (3590lbs) Finally 14s!!!!

QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2001, 11:09 PM   #8
Token Right Guy
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Well then, how about a 9-second stock-block Mustang?
Token Right Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2001, 11:49 PM   #9
69fastback
IRAQ VET

Wow that is a really fast car for having so many things be stock.

As far as crapmero owners i would have to say they do spend alot of time trying to convince u that mustangs suck. I do spend alot of time under my hood but it is just to always find was of making my car faster and has nothing to do with fixing anything. All though i have broken a few parts here and there.

------------------
69 428 cobra jet: tons of mods.
97 f-150 5.4 xlt mark III
BUCKLE UP. SUCK IT IN.
Objects in the mirror are about to disappear...
QUICKLY!!!!!!

69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 08:11 AM   #10
Mach 1
Registered Member

The early 80's wern't great years for any american cars, but the early 80's camaros were definately some of the worst quality cars on the road at the time. Im surprised any even lasted this long.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 09:07 AM   #11
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Don't let the GM guys fool you. They work on their cars just as much, if not more than we do, it's just that when they work on their cars it is because something broke. I have never had to actually work on my Stang for that reason except for a few weeks ago when I thought I had a blown head gasket. Turned out to be a leaking EGR gasket and the dirt that I thought looked like oil in the coolant overflow was actually EGR dust.

------------------
ICQ# 42269241
Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 10:23 AM   #12
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

This has nothing to do with a Camero, per se, but it is a Chevy:

My wife has a 1998 Chevy Malibu LS (3.1 V6) with 53,000 miles on the clock (mostly highway). Her father purchased the car about 3 years ago and we have had more trouble with this freakin GM POS that I am about to go nuts. (Note, sticker on this FULLY LOADED POS was $22 grand!)

1) We have had FIVE sets of brakes on this car - warped rotors, grinding, pads go out in 4 months, etc, etc.

2) Power windows will work one day and not the next - kind of freaky really.

3) Replaced all the fuel injectors at least once (just replace 2 more this past weekend for $400!!!)

4) Power steering has been non-existant at low speeds (like when you're trying to park) ever since the warranty ran out - no lie, it happened about a month after the warranty ran out!

5) Just blew a oil pump assembley gasket, shot oil all over the back of the engine and underside of the car - cost me $150 to fix.

6) Interior trim is an absolute joke. The power window/lock assembley keeps popping out of position and wont stay down. The genius that engineered this miricle must have attended BCU (Butt Crack Univ.).

7) Gasket surrounding the brake lights falls off every time you brush up against it or wash the car. I guess GM wanted to make this easy to remove - you know, just in case you felt like cleaning behind the gasket or something. :ROLLEYES:

8) Radio can't get the strongest AM station here in town without crakling all to hell and sounding like a cat got thrown into an industiral sized wood chipper.

9) Brake light bulbs have been replaced at least twice on each side. Not that it's an expensive fix, but damn is this annoying as hell.

10) Starter is about fried. It will crank and crank and crank until it finally starts up. Then when it starts, it will hesitate for a while until it warms up. What the freak is this all about? Its not like I'm trying to start a 78 carburated Lincoln 460 cu. in. on a -20 degree morning.

Countless other problems, but every time we would take it to the friendly Chevy dealer we got the same thing --> "Looks ok to me, I don't see any problems!" WTF?

I guess the slogan is true "Chevy. We'll be there you when you get corn-holed by the POS car and then the dealer." What a joke.

Sorry for venting, but just had to. Due to this fiasco, we are in the process of trading it in for a 2001 SEL Taurus (200HP V6).

E

------------------
1991 5.0 LX Coupe - 38,000 miles

13.17 @ 106.14 mph w/ 2.138 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 02:08 PM   #13
Power
Registered Member

As you can see from my sig I drive an old POS ford that should break down all the time. Right? Thats what I was told when I bought it. Well, I've had it a year now and had to change only things that are normal wear and tear for modern vehicles, let alone one thats almost 40 years old. The worst thing ever was the fuel pump letting go on the freeway. 10 minutes of labor(after getting it home)and it was back up and running. My engine, while only a small 289, has been about the most reliable engine I have ever had, including my nissan pickup. It refuses to die and takes about .5 seconds to start in the morning. Touch of the starter and its running.
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 02:09 PM   #14
Power
Registered Member

Err........sorry. Sig....

------------------
1966 Baby blue Coupe, 289 w/ man. 3-speed, nothing special but the fact that it is my first mustang. I am a former import guru....no more.

I've never run it except on the street, it has new wheels & tires, new exaust, and that about covers it. Looking to change a lot in the future including engine. Any ideas are appreciated.
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2001, 12:17 AM   #15
84stangLX

my car has been a nightmare, the floor was cracked to hell, the seat broken, grounded/open wires everywhere, timing chain failed (normal at 150k), shifter bushings GONE, now the fuel pump is going.... but one thing to consider is how come some cars fail more often than others: age, mileage, maintenance and build quality. My car was fixed penny by penny with every expense avoided and had it been maintained and problems acually fixed it wouldn't be so bad. It seems like most new cars have a horrendous amount of problems and recalls. Ford's cars and trucks recently have had huge breakouts of recalls, and i've also noticed from working on GM cars the interior, for whatever reason always FALLS APART, i've seen '97 and '98 camaros with armrests missing and the power window buttons always pop out. There's also always a million rattles in those cars after a few years (in as little as like 5). Also, as stated before, early 80's cars are notorious for shoddy production and were often thrown together as cheaply as possible. I think it's funny when people try to summarize "oh, Ford/Chevy/Dodge sucks" because every one of these manufacturers has had some decent cars and a LOT of bad ones. My poison just happens to be fords because I tolerate the nuances of Fords and like quite a few vehicles they've built. You also usually can't reason with these people becuase when someone generalizes like that they have no interest in why or why not the statement is true. just my worthless $.02
Old 04-20-2001, 05:07 PM   #16
PGkelly
Registered Member

GM has a long history of badgering it's suppliers. just recently, there was a recall of GM SUV's. people were instructed NOT to bring them to the dealer, but to wait for the dealer to come and pick up the car with a TOW TRUCK. that is how dangerous this was. what happened was the front suspension control arms were not built to specifications, and would break! (as a side note, this problem was discovered when a dealer was giving a test ride to a prospective buyer) the arms breaking would result in the total loss of steering control! pretty bad, huh? this happened because GM leadership demanded that the parts be delivered sooner rather than later, and threatened suppliers to get their way. they just don't understand the concept of quality. also, at one point GM tried to put one of it's own dealers out of business! the way i hear it, there was a factory owned dealer and a private owned-dealer in the same town. well, the factory wasn't happy with something the private dealer did, so they lowered their prices and tried to put him out of business!!!!

------------------
If it ain't broke, make it go faster

AOL: MCVillain45
PGkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2001, 11:20 PM   #17
SkarodoM
Registered Member

Cool

lol..

and problems with GM have WHAT to do with their owners?

lol

Phil
Jerico Performance
SkarodoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 12:30 AM   #18
BLOCKER
Registered Member

I am a car lover of all sorts (as long as it isn't a poorly done custom job ...ricers)

both GM and Ford have there good points and there bad

if every one is always compairing themselves to you, what does that say about you?

my camaro is faster than a stang
my firechicken is faster than a stang...
my rice burner is faster than a stang

how come they are not saying
my rice burner is faster than a camaro

do you see what I am saying?

------------------
88 Stang GT Cobra
Every option but leather
10 speaker 440 watt system
Blue/Grey with grey interior
K&N air filter, black outs, & no air

BLOCKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 01:10 AM   #19
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Lightbulb

I never like to talk crap about stangs but stangs can be pos too. My sister has a 95' v6 vert when my dad bought it it had 50,000 miles on it and was in mint condition. My sister rear ended a car at a very slow speed and nearly totaled the damn thing like 3,000 of damage broken windshield and fenders were touching doors. The car she hit had zero damage. Just last week the car blew both head gaskets and the dealer tells us that the v6 mustangs had a recall for the heads that was never fixed. So much for ford engineering

------------------
88 mustang gt convertible BBk equal length headers mac cold air intake cowl hood nitto drag radials ford racing clutch flow masters h-pipe.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2001, 11:36 AM   #20
Steve2000SS
Registered Member

It proves that most ricers arent stupid enough to think they are faster than a Camaro??

------------------
2000 M6 SS Camaro.. mostly stock go mods.. lots of show stuff..
320rwhp & 333rwtq corrected SAE
Steve2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote