MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-13-2001, 02:30 PM   #1
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool Car audio gurus, need some subwoofer help

I picked up a Kicker 10 inch competition subwoofer and need some help. I hooked it up to a friend of mines system that's already running a 200 watt amp to his kick azz 10in sub (no name brand cause it's in the first stage of possible production by AAMP). We hooked up the Kicker, it's not new, and turned on the tunes. Well, not much happened. The speaker really didn't put much bass at all.

Now does it have to be in a sealed box to work? His sub is in a box and kicks hard! We were just holding the Kicker and weren't getting much of anything from it at all. It supposedly works, according to the guy my friend got it from. We were thinking that maybe it has to be in a box to work correctly. Is this so? I don't know much about speakers and stuff. What size box should be built for it? Dimensions? What size of an amp should I run this Kicker off of? My head unit is a Pioneer DEH-1000 45x4. My friends unit was an Alpine 40x4 with a 200Wx2<--I think, amp. His system is great but it wouldn't do much with the Kicker when we just hooked up his sub wires to it. We were wondering if the Kicker even worked. He got it from another guy that said it worked.

Any suggestions as to what to do with this thing? Amp and box? Will it freakin work?

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2001, 02:42 PM   #2
slowride90
Registered Member

Unless its a free air sub, it needs to be in a box.

------------------
3:55s w/posi,Cold Air Induction,Mac headers,Hedderman Off-road H-pipe, MSD Ing.&wires, 65mm T.B. Hurst Short Throw Shifter,front sway bar removed,2 chamber flows. Not to fast Not to Slow, Working on the fast part.
slowride90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2001, 03:08 PM   #3
dinomite
The Dude

Yes, it has to be in a box. For a quick physics/harmonics lesson, a sealed box will give you stronger bass (with the correct speaker), but will not give you correct frequency reproduction unless it is big (about 3 cubic feet for a 10inch). Whereas a ported box you loose some of the oomph, but it will sound better in a smaller box. I'm an audiophile and have a ported sub in my room.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2001, 03:16 PM   #4
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

So how do I figure out the dimensions of a box to build for this thing? Should I just use the same dimensions as what was used for my other friends 10 inch sub?

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS
Old 02-13-2001, 04:53 PM   #5
mustanggtracer
Registered Member

Exclamation

Do not run the sub outside of a box, unless it is specifically made to be a free air sub you will blow it. If you want to build a box for your subs you sould find a spec sheet and see what size box they recommend.

------------------
mustanggtracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2001, 05:02 PM   #6
dinomite
The Dude

You could just build a box like your friends, make sure to port it if his is. Also, look for spec sheets for the driver and see what it says. You can also buy boxes from places like Crutchfield or Best buy (i think). If your stuck, you could search on www.google.com and you will definently find some info
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2001, 06:09 PM   #7
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Thanks for the help. I went to Kicker's website and got the info I need. Now I just got to build a box for it and get about a 125W amp. The speaker is used and a little old. I took it to a shop and they said not to go more than about 125-130W on it.

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS
Old 02-13-2001, 11:52 PM   #8
98yellow stang
Registered Member

Buddy if you just hooked the speaker up for a little trial run, not in a box, and it didn't even move. The dang thing is shot. I would check your wires. I mean did you feel the cone to see if the speaker was even moving? I wouldn't even go any further if the stupid thing isn't moving. I would say you got ripped off.

------------------
My 98 yellow stang

Mods:
Magnaflow cat-back
98yellow stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 09:35 AM   #9
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

It works. It moved and put out sound when we had it hooked up. It just wasn't very loud because it wasn't in a box. I also took it and had it checked out as I had previously posted above at a local car audio place.

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS