MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-14-2001, 07:04 PM   #1
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Thumbs up Attn: My Mustang brothers and sisters. Getting gears.

Well, the day has finally come: I am to get the long awaited 3.55s installed (I was about to say stuffed in my rear end, but I didn't think that would sound right) tomorrow. Gonna drop the car off at 8:30 AM, go to weight lifting class, and then pick up my car (after about 1.5 hrs of more waiting) after its transformation. If everything works out (which never happens-- yes I am pessimistic, this way, I can't be let down as much if something goes wrong, which usually happens), I will take the car to the track Sunday and let you know what happens.

My current fastest time on the track out of four runs has been:

RT------- +.665 (needs improvement)
60ft----- 2.202 (lots of spinning)
1/8 ET--- 9.127 @ 78.19 mph
1/4 ET--- 14.161 @ 97.14 mph

*Note: 7.5" rear w/ 3.27s

Not so great 60 ft times due to thin tires in back (165/70/15s---before I had the money to buy the tires I have now). Spinning just about all the way through first gear (tried to get the best medium of traction and building rpms).

What sucks is by the time I got the fat wheels and tires, the rear end died and I had to put in an 8.8 with 2.73s.
Fastest time I could get w/ the 2.73s after adding mufflers, tailpipes, and with BAD traction (sounds like an excuse, but it's not) was ....I can't even remember (pissed me off so much). It was 14.5 or 14.4.

Therefore, I have close to no idea how these gears will improve the times. I will feel terrible if I don't break into the 13s. I ain't gonna kill myself, but it would just really suck doodoo.

"because, no one’s really gonna be free until nerd persecution ends." ---Revenge of
the Nerds

-------------------------------
'79 Mustang Coup
4" Cowl
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8)
Stock 5.8L
C4 w/ shift kit
1.5" MAC full length headers
Holley 750 CFM
Edelbrock intake
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
8.8" Rear end w/ 2.73:1 gears (sucks!) (awaiting installation of 3.55s)
Front: 225/60/15 Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
14 x 4" K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup soon)
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 07:19 PM   #2
GTGrl00
Stang Chic Extraordinaire

Cool

Hey Fox,

So why the 3.55s as opposed to the 3.73s? Personally I prefer the 3.73s. Anyway just wondering, don't worry I'm sure things well turn out better then you think if your going to reputable shop. Good luck...

------------------
Yours in SPEED=======D
Mandy aka GTGRL00
GTGrl00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 08:46 AM   #3
Jaydee
Registered Member

Going from 2.73's to 3.55's in my 5 speed notch was was worth about 3 tenths on its own. My times were very simular to yours, going from 14.40's with the 2.73's to around 14.1 with the gear change (and still spinning) Adding a set of drag radials got me into the 13's. I don't see why you shouldn't get into the 13's with your combo and the 55's, which are not a bad choice with the C4, especially if you do much highway driveing with the car - Good Luck!!!

------------------
1965 K code coupe - numbers matching - restoration ongoing. 1987 LX notch, stock heads and intake, 3.55's and typical bolt on's 13.89@100.25
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 02:49 PM   #4
NoSlow5.0
YOU HAVE NO MARBLES!!!!!!

Hey Fox Body! Where do you run at? I live in Atlanta and don't like having to go up to Commerce the the drag way, too dam far. Light Em Up!!
NoSlow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 06:13 PM   #5
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

As I write, I am a bit sad (let down) not by the performance of the gears, but by complications that arose (see what I said).

The rear end was in a little more bad shape than I suspected. To make a kinda long story short, I need another right axle. The bearings on it was bad and it wore into the axle a bit (but it's not that bad, really, just a little bit). So I need to get one. Gonna ask around, shouldn't be toooo hard to find. Gotta get it within the next week or so. Still gonna take it to the track Sunday (if I don't go bankrupt before then) and let you know if money was well spent.

Also, in need of speedo gear.

On a positive note:
1)LOVE the posi-traction. Man I missed it.
2)Car feels tighter. Meaner. Stronger. (My imagination??)
3)Rear is supposed to whine a little (b/c of axel/bearings problem), but car is so loud, unless you really know what you're listening for, you won't hear it (I can't hear it).

GTGrl00, I do much hwy driving (DAILY, can't stress that enough) and until I get another car within the next month or so, the Mustang's all I got. Thus, 3.55s were as steep as I dare to go with a C4.

Jaydee, thanks for the encouragement. Yes, I do more hwy driving more than I would like to. I'm jsut worried about how pissed I will be if I don't hit the 13s.....

NoSlow5.0, it'd be much farther for you to come down here. I go to Carolina Dragway in Jackson, SC. About a 30 minute drive for me. not bad at all. But hey, you're welcome to come anytime.

"because, no one’s really gonna be free until nerd persecution ends." ---Revenge of the Nerds
'79 Mustang Coup
4" Cowl
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8)
Stock 5.8L
C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 CFM
Edelbrock intake
8.8" Rear end w/ 3.55:1 gears (now that's more like it!!)

Old 02-15-2001, 06:17 PM   #6
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Oh forgot to mention, part of the sadness comes from having to pay more than I was prepared to pay. It was a little extra with b/c of a few things I didn't mention in the previous post.
Okay, I'll shut up now.

"because, no one’s really gonna be free until nerd persecution ends." ---Revenge of
the Nerds

'79 Mustang Coup
4" Cowl
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8)
Stock 5.8L
C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 CFM
Edelbrock intake
8.8" Rear end w/ 3.55:1 gears (Now that's more like it!!)
Old 02-15-2001, 06:25 PM   #7
cleangreenmachine

Hey Fox Body-

Was the shop's estimate of time pretty accurate? If I can get a shop to do them in only a few hours, like you, I would be much more motivated to get my gears sooner. It's just I'm out of options for getting to work if they need to keep my car overnight or longer.

Thanks,

------------------
Greg
91 LX Convertible
Old 02-16-2001, 01:02 AM   #8
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Arrow

Well, let us know what you run when you go to the track! I'm interested to see! I have a set of 3.55's that have been in the box for well over a year.. I'm such a bad slacker when it comes to other people working on my car.. I suppose I should just go get it done...and I guess I'm a little nervous too, since the rear end has never been opened on this car after 167,000 miles!!! But I am going to get some new traction lok clutches before i go get it done too!!

------------------
Joe!
1988 GT, 167,000 miles!!! 13.71@105mph Check out my listing! Click here! Or my website:
www.joe4speed.com
1999 Ninja ZX-6R 10.32@135mph!

[This message has been edited by JL1314 (edited 02-16-2001).]
joe4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 10:00 AM   #9
Jaydee
Registered Member

Fox Body - Get it to hook up and you will be in the 13's. If I can do it with my mods, I know you can too.

------------------
1965 K code coupe - numbers matching - restoration ongoing. 1987 LX notch, stock heads and intake, 3.55's and typical bolt on's 13.89@100.25
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 12:36 PM   #10
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

cleangreenmachine,
the estimate was about $170 dollars low (but he cut me a big deal for the labor, so it actually came out to ~$70 low). The required lot of time they ask for is 6 hrs (usu. get done in about 4, the extra two is for unexpected problems). My brother helped me drop it off and I dropped him at school and drove his Grand Am to work and picked up the Mustang after work. Hey, try to get them to do it in the morning, get someone to drop you at work, then have a fellow employee drop you back there after work (if they tell you they'll get it done by then--they should, that's a whole ******* day).

JL1314,
I know how you feel. I have never been in a rear end before so my knowledge about it is very limited. I really would have LOVED to watch but it was against insurance policy . Yeah, they did find more wrong with the rear than I thought they would. Oh well.

Jaydee,
You're right: if I get them to hook. It's been at least 6 months since I've had positraction in the back so I will DEFININATELY have to practice my launch. I just tried a pretty hefty launch a few minutes ago and there was a whole lot of spinning. GOTTA PRACTICE.

"because, no one’s really gonna be free until nerd persecution ends." ---Revenge of the Nerds

'79 Mustang Coup
4" Cowl
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8)
Stock 5.8L
C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 CFM
Edelbrock intake
8.8" Rear end w/ 3.55:1 gears (Now that's more like it!!)