MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-14-2001, 04:59 PM   #1
whiteangelfire
Registered Member

Question to buy, or not to buy . . . THAT is the question

The object in question is a '98 Mustang Coupe Std (v6, 3.8L). I know what have of you are thinking . . . v6? Euwwwwww!!!

But, I am a married early twenties college student (who, btw, is only 5'1" - I've heard tall people have many problems in them ), no kids, and will not have any for at least a few years. I want this attractive, relatively new car that won't threaten to break down on me. Are these cars good deals for someone of my standing? Be gentle!! I've heard some bad things about these cars, and about fords in general -transmission goes out, a/c goes out, little stuff like that.

thanks for your input in advance,
angel
whiteangelfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001, 05:08 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

Angel, how much money and how many miles? My thought is if you don't have much experience with cars, take it to a good mechanic for a thorough professional check out and pay him well.

Be sure to look at the title closely before buying under any conditions. Sometimes a title will identify a car that:

1.) is flood damaged
2.) is rebuilt from a totaled wreck (salvage title)
3.) is a returned car under the "lemon law"

You certainly don't want any of those. Just a few thoughts.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001, 05:26 PM   #3
whiteangelfire
Registered Member

Arrow

Angel, how much money and how many miles? My thought is if you don't have much experience with cars, take it to a good mechanic for a thorough professional check out and pay him well.

The price we're looking at right now is 10K, 39K mi. However, the bank had given the car to a guy in town (who buys cars, fixes them up, and sells them for profit) to sell for them. I'm thinking he jacked the price so he could make *something* in this deal. I'm pretty sure I can find a mechanic to look at it.

Be sure to look at the title closely before buying under any conditions. Sometimes a title will identify a car that:

1.) is flood damaged
2.) is rebuilt from a totaled wreck (salvage title)
3.) is a returned car under the "lemon law"

My husband looked up the title history on carfax.com and it was clean. The only thing about it that looked a little off were the tires, which looked like the previous owner "rode it hard and put it up wet."

angel
whiteangelfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 11:51 PM   #4
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Ford updated the head gaskets on the 3.8L model, but I cannot remember what year they did it. Prior to the update the head gaskets are problem areas on the V-6. To be honest, the V-8 is a much better engine, for quality, not just performance.

As far as the transmissions going out, the AOD (automatic) is generally a good transmission if it's not being raced. The 5spd is the T-5, which you shouldn't have any problems with.

The A/C going out? Not that I know of, sounds more like a Chrysler problem to me.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 11:12 AM   #5
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

My brother bought a 1996 GT with 42,000 miles for 11,000. The 94-98 3.8's are good dailey drivers, but the 99's and up are a lot quicker.

------------------
THE SLO PONY
1992 Ford Mustand LX. 2.3 liter four-banger, auto. Future mods: V-8 swap.
Fly it loud, Fly it proud!!!

If it ain't broke, you ain't tryin hard enough
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote