MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-26-2001, 11:04 AM   #1
Gautam
Registered Member

Post Craftsman Mechanics Toolkit : Which to buy?

Hi,
Ok, I want to start building a little mechanics tool chest, and I figure I start with one of the (afaik) most used tools, the ratchet+sockets.

I went to Sears.ca to look up some of the mechanics kits available, but there are too many too choose from.

Question is, what do I buy? My budget is like $100CDN ($65US), so here are my options:

Thanks!
Bye!

------------------
Gautam N. Lad
http://www.cubicdesign.com
http://www.cubicdesign.com/mustang/
Gautam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 12:38 PM   #2
Capri306

Definitely the 111-piece set on the left! Cheaper and more tools? No doubt!

This brings up some memories of my trip to Niagara Falls. I tell you it's a scary experience going to a Sears in Canada if you're from the US. I couldn't believe the foreign crap they were passing off as Craftsman tools there, and only LIFETIME warranties?!? WTF? God, that scared me for a while. Then when I returned to the 'States, I went to Sears immediately to see that all was well here with forever warranties still intact. WHEW! It may be worth it, if you're close enough to the border or you can buy from the US, to get your Craftsman tools from here instead. Just an FYI and my .02

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
"PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!"
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 02:04 PM   #3
jimberg
Registered Member

Actually, from the looks of the kits, I wouldn't go with either. Those ratchet wrenches don't look like real Craftsman. They should have a button release on the back and have very solid frames.

This is what a real Craftsman toolkit should look like.

Unfortunately, this is 119 USD.

Saving and investing in a kit like this would be optimal.

It'll run you 239 USD. The nice thing about this kit is that it has almost every tool you could use, including deep sockets.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible

[This message has been edited by jimberg (edited 09-26-2001).]
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 02:18 PM   #4
jetuomi
Registered Member

hey man, I GOT A Mastercraft set (177 piece) from Canadian Tire for $99.95

It was on sale a month ago, I dunno if it is anymore, but, wait for it to go on sale, its really worth it !!
jetuomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 03:46 PM   #5
Gautam
Registered Member

Hi,
Jimberg:
I'm a little confused. I went to Sears.ca and that's where I got those pictures from, so how can they not be authentic Craftsman? As for a $120USD, well that's about $190CDN (way over my budget). I need something affordable (seeing how I don't do anything hardcore just yet).

Jetuomi:
Hehe, dude, I was just at Crappy Tire like 1/2 hr ago, and I noticed the 177pc kit for sale for $100.

Thing is, how would you compare Craftsman to Mastercraft? I'm pretty sure Craftsman has grown to become a crowd favourite over the years, so it wouldn't surprise me if most of the $ I'm paying is for the brand name.

So, should I just save $$$ and go with the 177pc MasterCraft kit?

(For those in US, Canadian Tire is like PepBoys or AutoZone or whatever), and MasterCraft is their inhouse brand.

Bye!

------------------
Gautam N. Lad
Old 09-26-2001, 04:12 PM   #6
Stangrrr
Registered Member

As stated by Capri306 above, the Canadian & American Craftsman tools differ greatly. You were looking up Sears.ca (ca for a Canadian site).

As for the Canadian Craftsman vs the Mastercraft, I'd say that they're about equally decent in quality. Just make sure that they have the lifetime warranty (no "forever" warranties in Canada, as far as I know...) As far as I know, both are made "offshore".

For price, usually the Mastercraft sets go on sale more often....

------------------
91 coupe
3.73's,long tubes,3" exh,ported stock t-body,ProM-77mm
cobra intake,edelbrock heads,B303,1.72 rr's
36lb inj's,tremec, & a Paxton NOVI 2000!!!
10.784 @ 133.92 on BFG Drag Radials (275/60/15)

formerly known as SisuStang

Stangrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 04:15 PM   #7
jimberg
Registered Member

Gautam,

Look at the difference between the heads of the wrenches. The direction switch on the sets you showed look cheap, comparable to the sets you can buy at WalMart. You want your wrenches to look like the ones in the pictures I included. See how solid they are?

Here's a set that's in your price range.

This is 69 USD. It's a 76 piece set. Quantity of tools is great, but you also want quality. This set would be a great start for a good, solid set of tools.

------------------
Old 09-26-2001, 07:36 PM   #8
Mach 1
Registered Member

Theres nothing wrong with the wrenches in your pictures from sears of canada. They are simply a different style, not any worse qaulity than the ones in jimbergs pictures.

Dont get excited over how the switching mechanism looks, but you need to watch out for "sears" tools verses "sears craftsman" tools.

The "sears" tools are of poor quality and the "sears craftsman" are of better quality (dont ever buy cheap tools, you might as well throw your money away)

They are both sold at sears and are easy to tell apart, and only the "craftsman" has the lifetime warrenty.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 08:26 PM   #9
Rev
Registered Member

Isn't the button release kind of like an option at extra expense? I don't think you'll go wrong with any legitimate Craftsman tool. I got my 1st socket set over 40 yrs ago. I'm still using the ones that haven't been lost. The ones that are left lying around under the hood and are lost.....well the lifetime warranty doesn't cover them.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 09:35 PM   #10
PKRWUD

The button release option is very nice to have. Trust me.

I have bought several sets over the years, and what I would recommend these days is to buy specific sets, meaning a socket set, then a wrench set, then a screwdriver set, etc. The set's that combine them all usually leave out important pieces you are going to need, and will end up buying later. Watch for the Sunday Sears ad in your local paper. That's when you'll find the best deals.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 09:36 PM   #11
Capri306

Mach 1: I'm not trying to start anything, but dude, I've had a 'Canadian Craftsman' ratchet in my hands, among other various tools I was checking out. They're not NEARLY the quality of the American versions, if for nothing else their country(s) of origin, i.e. Taiwan, China, Sri Lanka, etc. I'm being serious, it scared the bejesus out of me to see a Craftsman tool made in China, of pot-grade 'steel', with only a lifetime warranty (instead of forever) and a cheesy release mechanism. Just my .02

...and AMEN about the 'Sears' tools! Ha!

/Rant Off.

------------------
Old 09-27-2001, 01:18 AM   #12
Mach 1
Registered Member

Capri306- can you tell me the difference between a lfetime warrenty and a forever warranty?

Im not disputing that maybe canadien craftsman tools suck, I really dont know. I was just saying that because the switching mechanism on top of the ratchet was different didnt automatically mean it was a poor quality tool.
Some of the best tools available (Mac, Snap On, etc...) use the round switching mechanism as opposed to the switch with the button. Most tool companies have made various styles of tools, and you cant judge a tools quality on the type of switching/release mechanism alone.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Old 09-27-2001, 07:18 AM   #13
jetuomi
Registered Member

hey, I've got lifetime warranty on my set, so, GO ahead and get it !

Also, some torture tests I've put my tools thru..

Working on a friends suspension, I put the 19mm socket head on the big driver, and then put my 4 foot 1 5/8 pipe over the driver, and pushed like mad to break the strut bolt loose from the strut assembly, the ratchet head still works perfectly, after all that torquing !

I'd GET IT if I had to buy it again !
jetuomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 08:56 AM   #14
Gautam
Registered Member

Hi,
Ok, so here's the dilly-o. Afaik, the sockets, wrenches and screwdrivers don't matter, cuz regardless of brand name, most are usually strong enough (how the hell are you supposed to break a socket anywho?)..

I guess THE MOST important tool in this set would be the ratchet, and I would be better off buying a Craftsman ratchet, and save my $ and get the Canadian Tire socket/screwdriver/wrench set, rather then the entire Craftsman socket/wrench/screwdriver/ratchet set.

I guess I will buy the Canadian Tire set first, afterall, this will be my first time with a toolkit (sad huh?), and if the ratchet breaks, I will know better next time.

Bye!

------------------
Gautam N. Lad
Old 09-27-2001, 09:23 AM   #15
PKRWUD

Posted by Guatam:
Quote:
the sockets, wrenches and screwdrivers don't matter, cuz regardless of brand name, most are usually strong enough (how the hell are you supposed to break a socket anywho?)

I winced when I read that. Sockets break. If your time and your knuckles mean anything to you, buy a quality set. ANY money spent on tools that are less than Craftsman quality is money wasted. You obviously can't afford Snap-on, but at the very least, buy Craftsman. If you don't, you WILL regret it. Really.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
Old 09-27-2001, 10:12 AM   #16
Capri306

Mach, I agree completely with you on the fact that the release and/or ratcheting mechanism does not automatically disqualify it as a quality tool. I have some of those style (the REALLY old craftsmans!), and they are outstanding in quality.

The difference between a lifetime warranty and forever is that the latter allows me to continue using my father's AND grandfather's tools without worrying too much if they break, though I admit I'm still pretty careful with them. That's the kind of tools I want to purchase: something I can pass down. Most people may not think this way, but for me it means a lot.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Capri306 (edited 09-27-2001).]
Old 09-27-2001, 11:42 AM   #17
PKRWUD

Capri-
Then you should save up and buy Snap-on. I have seen Craftsman quality deteriorate significantly in the past 10 - 20 years. I have to return at least $200 worth of Craftsman tools every year. That's why I recommended them as the minimum quality standard. Most of my hand tools are Craftsman because that's all I could afford, but I grab my Snap-on's when it's something important. They'll be around for another generation, but the Craftsmans that see much use will just get traded in. I only buy Snap-on now.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

Old 09-27-2001, 05:03 PM   #18
Mach 1
Registered Member

well said PKRWUD - Craftsman tools are not that good anymore. I break sockets all the time.
Whoever said they wont break a socket doesnt have much mechanical experience. The best thing about the craftsman is being able to take it to any sears store and get a new one when it does break without a reciept.

For the weekend garage mechanic, chasing down the snap-on tool truck can be a nightmare.

------------------
1993 GT/AOD
'93 Mustang GT
Old 09-27-2001, 08:09 PM   #19
Capri306

I totally agree with you guys on those points, but:
Quote:
The best thing about the craftsman is being able to take it to any sears store and get a new one when it does break without a receipt.
Sears is only 4 miles away from me. That has saved my arse so many times!

However, I concede that Snap-on is the genuine thing to have. Glad we agree on that!

------------------
Old 09-27-2001, 10:50 PM   #20
jimberg
Registered Member

Quote:
The best thing about the craftsman is being able to take it to any sears store and get a new one when it does break without a reciept.
Isn't this the statement that pretty much explains the deference between lifetime warranty and forever warranty? If you found a broken Craftsman ratchet on the side of the road you should be able to bring it in and exchange it for a new one.

Mach 1, do you have experience with Canadian Craftsman? Do you know for a fact that they are not of a lesser quality? To be honest, I can't say that they are for any certainty, either, but my gut tells me that they are cheap "made in China" or other parts unknown pieces of crap. My opinion wasn't based solely on the switching mechanism, though, that was one of the clues that led me to believe that they are crap. Here it is in a nutshell:

1. The Lifetime vs. Forever warranty.
2. The cost.
3. Capri306's experience with handling them.
4. I went through the U.S. Sears web site and couldn't find any sets that match the one's above. All of them, even the polished versions have the button release and swivel switch.

Maybe the differences has something to do with the patent infringement suit that Craftsman had regarding the push button release, but something just doesn't sit well with me.

A problem with buying them from the U.S., however, would be that you couldn't replace them at a Canadian Sears store since they have the different tools.

I know that Husky has a forever warranty, but I don't know how good the tools actually are (Anyone?). They do use them on some of those TNN shows. Home Depot seems to be everywhere.

------------------