MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Poll: What should I do?
Poll Options
What should I do?

Old 10-28-2002, 08:10 PM   #1
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Question Major dilema or easy choice?

To make it short, I've saved enough money for my DSS engine and by the begining of 2003 should have the D-1SC blower on it. I should be looking at 10s in the 1/4.

A thought hit me though. I have enough money to buy clean '93 blue Mustang LX 5.0 (notchback) that is in brand new shape and supposedly $90,000 miles on it. And if not this particular one, then I'm sure another one will come along in no time. It will be a dependable car with a decent amount of hp and all the luxuries (A/C, good stereo, perfect interior, etc). Whereas, if I put all the money in the '79, it'd be streetable, but not something for long distance driving or economical. I plan to start graduate school next fall (of 2003) and I don't know if I trust my 4-cyl hatch to stand up for the task-- it's in decent shape, but, i dunno.

If I buy newer Mustang with this money, it'd be SWEET at first, but I'll probably regret it for the rest of my life that I never got to build the car I always wanted (I'd at least have to put it off for at least another 5-8 years and then I'll probably get married and not be able to afford building one). I hear all these horror stories from guys who tell me once I get married, all my Mustang life and fun will go down the drain .

I will probably say just screw it all and build the '79, you know, carry on with the plans I've been making and just work it out. Either way, I'd like to hear your opinions. Thanks.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 09:48 PM   #2
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Talking :)

You just gotta wiegh your options....
If you do buy a NICE beater, at least you will have something dependable, and you can continue to save and then work on the '79 a little at a time as finances allow....If you dump all that money into your project, if you get into a bind, and have no cash to bail yourself out.....(take it from someone who knows!!!!!)
Just depends on what is important to ya...Even if it would take a couple of years, you dont wanna rush it anyways...you wanna make sure its done JAM UP! I would also keep my eyes open for another driver that you can find in as good condition, maybe a little older, or a little cheaper and leave some of your cash aside to put into your '79..

I dont know what you drive daily, but its good peace of mind to know you do have something that can w/stand a roadtrip...
Im kicking myself in the As$ EVERY DAY for not buying a beater w/ part of my divorce settlement....THAT is one thing I would have DEFINETELY done different!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just MPOV......I hope it helps! good luck in whatever you decide to do!
TNT

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 01:41 AM   #3
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

i know how you feel, i bought my 69 grande, really wanted to make it something , after 3500 buck's or more, i had a b.a. running car, but needed major paint job, interior, etc, so i gave it to my son, went out & got my 2k, just starting to get somewhere on it, i miss my 69, but i love my 2k gt, i can drive it every day & do mod's when i can afford it, which aint often. , it's a tough choice. i know.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 04:59 AM   #4
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Thanks for the honest advice guys. Maybe I should also make it clear that I did buy a beater car last year. It's a 90 Mustang LX hatchback 4-cyl. It rides nice but I've been having some small tranmission problems and some other MINOR problems. So, I'm thinking, maybe, build the '79 and slowly fix up the 90 LX, kinda what TNT said, but in the opposite way. I also need to add a new compressor for A/C, which shouldn't be a big problem. I've been to Atlanta a few times with it and it hasn't let me down yet. If I can turn the 90 into a really dependable car, then this may work out after all.

See, and what makes this tough also, is that I have been working and slowly fixing up the '79 for the last FIVE years (more like 6) and I just put in roll cage not too long ago and almost completely redid interior, so I'm pretty much at the last stage completely fixing up the car. All now it needs is the motor and a little body work and paint.

Anyway, hope this new information gets you to vote the way I want you to (j/k, just be honest either way) <---- I have to say that. (just kidding ) <---- I have to say this, too.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 09:29 AM   #5
89LXFLEA
Registered Member

Default DILEMA

EASY CHOICE!!!!!!!!
FIX YOUR BEATER SO YOU HAVE
GOOD RIDE PUT THE REST OF
THE MONEY IN THE 79

FLEA
89LX 302 C4 4:10GEAR X CAM,GT40
IRON HEADS,PERFORMER RPM 650
HOLLEY NO STALL YET, GRIFFEN RADIATOR,MAC EQUAL LENGTH SHORTIES,H-PIPE,PRO DUMPS NOW
IT IS A LITTLE FASTER AT 12.94@106.38
RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER # 47
89LXFLEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 08:45 PM   #6
DAN-MAN
Confederate Cowboy

Put your money into the '79! You don't need to be wasting money on some newer, much more comfortable, and more streetable car anyways!

Daniel.

RHC MEMBER #25
DAN-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote