MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-15-2002, 09:00 AM   #1
7000rpmisheaven
Registered Member

Default What do you think will happen to cars in the future

With the introduction of these hybrid cars I began to think of what will happen to cars in the future. I am willing to bet that in the future gasoling powered cars will give way to something cheaper and more environment friendly. Do you think that sometime in the near future some sort of electric car will replace our beloved gas powered V8's. What does everyone else think? Do you think this happen in the next 40 or 50 years? What do you think the future of transportation will be.
milodon water pump, FMS 9mm wires, aluminum driveshaft, king cobra clutch
7000rpmisheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 09:07 AM   #2
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

I also sometimes think about the same thing. It scares me to think that our beloved mustangs could give way to some car that runs on batts and sun.

Can u imagine the mods on that.

"I just bought new gold plated brushes for my motor today. I think it added like 25 HP."

"Oh ya, u should see my new solar panels for mine. And I got new wires 4 guage wires for it too."

Then a ricer walks up, "Well, got u all beat. I just added stickers to mine, got at least another 50hp. Now I can do a 22.03 Quarter mile."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 09:22 AM   #3
PKRWUD

42 volt cars are going to be in production within 7 years, and soon thereafter, all will be 42 volt. Current and new technologies to benefit from the 42 volt systems will be electric power steering, electric power brakes, power windows, seats, and lift gates, heated cats, HVAC blower motors & engine cooling fans, water pumps, fuel pumps, oil pumps, valvetrain, and more. In addition, systems like a stop/start generator feature (already used in todays hybrid vehicles) may be incorporated into future engine management strategy. basically, at an idle, the engine shuts off, and restarts as acceleration begins. This action would be transparent to the driver and all other electrical and vehicle systems would be operational in either state.

It's already happening. Be prepared.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 12:32 PM   #4
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Actually if you think about it...WIth solar powered cars, with solar panels, the ricers will be in trouble. They'll probably cover the solar panels with stickers.

"I dont know why my car lost power! I put stickers on and everything."

I think Electric cars suck.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 02:19 PM   #5
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Futuremobiles

I usually ignore these 'future car' threads only because I have no expertise in this area, nor do I have a crystal ball so predictions are fun but basically useless to me.

Like others, I read the car magazines and know that all kinds of interesting stuff is planned by the manufacturers for future vehicles but I also know that cars (and trucks) are the lifeblood of this nation. We need them, we love them and we can't function without them.

If you doubt it, look at how L.A. and other cities have mega-expensive public transportation systems that no one uses. Even in my beloved Manhattan (I grew up in the N.Y. suburbs) as soon as you can afford it, you abandon the subway and the bus for a cab. I did.

That said, my only caveat for future cars is that they are practical (battery-power isn't, really) and affordable (not yet).

No one will go backwards. No one will give up his/her gasoline-powered car for something that can't go more than 50 mph for an hour or has other, impractical restrictions.

Politicians won't buck massive voter rebellion either if we simply refuse to buy battery/solar-powered vehicles. Laws that they impose or threaten to impose to force us to buy them can also be repealed. America is still a representative democracy, believe it or not.

Car companies are not going to commit corporate suicide, either. Ford is hurting right now and they are not going to attempt to foist anything impractical or based on shaky political considerations on the buying public if they believe it won't sell due to practical reasons or just the high cost associated with new technology. Ford and the rest of the major car manufacturers are in business to make a profit, not sink under red ink from some ill-fated 'car of the future' venture, no matter what some government agency says. That's just common sense.

So, as Chris stated, many changes will come and cars won't be the same in 10 years but although I can't predict what they will be, I doubt they'll be glorified electric golf carts.

Hey, I could be wrong. We'll see.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 02:59 PM   #6
PKRWUD

Actually, I heard something on the radio this morning about a new goal that Ford has to reduce the vehicle cost by $700 each by 2005. Things slated to be eliminated to help reach this goal include backseat ashtrays, cup holders, and other non-essential, or seldom used "do-dads".

I didn't realize my truck had $700 worth of seldom used do-dads! Wonder where they are?

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 03:43 PM   #7
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Do-dads

Cars have been optioned out to the max over the past ten years to help justify the rising prices as well as making factory assembly easier.

Now, unless it's a bottom-of-the-line stripper model, it's hard to buy a car without A/C, power everything and a host of comfort and convenience items that once were 'optional at extra cost'.

Some other choices have been cut way down. You either get a charcoal or a beige interior on most cars - no other choices. This stinks.

If that story about Ford making it a goal to cut $700. in 'do-dads' (old-fashioned name for unnecessary but attractive parts) then I bet we'll be seeing things like tinted glass become an 'extra-cost option' again and A/C and other comfort items will be part of an expensive, overpriced 'package' that Ford will use to make that extra $700. profit if it has to add extras to the car.

I can easily see dead pedals, a cup holder or two, ashtrays and grab handles as well as storage pockets on seatbacks all being eliminated or listed as 'available at extra cost' as most of these things once were.

The new CEO, William Clay Ford, is a bit of an unknown right now but with 2 billion in losses from the Firestone tire debacle and Ford stock in the mid-teens, I can see cost-cutting on the horizon for Ford. Makes sense.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 09:14 PM   #8
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Hopefully we can go to the junk yard and find Stroker Motors laying around.
mustangII460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 07:55 AM   #9
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

If u look at most of the new Kia's, u can found out how stripped a modal can have. Why do u think they start out so cheap?
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote