MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-15-2002, 03:36 PM   #1
Makaveli
Registered Member

Exclamation Lets talk about import vs. domestic

I'm the owner of an import. I came across this site by chance and I found many of you talking trash about imports. I understand that this is a Mustang board so I wasn't too shocked.

I'm not going to lie, I don't like Mustangs. I believe they are ugly and they are not as fast as you Mustang owners make them out to be. I never really liked Ford because I have had bad expericances driving them and they are not trustworthy.

You guys use terms like "ricers" and "rice rockets" to describe imports, which is not only stupid, but also racist.

So Mustangs are pretty fast stock, right? Well not fast, lets say quick. So what?? It takes no skill what-so-ever to buy a car and drive it stock. Some people would much rather take an ordinary car, fast or not, and modify it to be fast and look good. Maybe you guys think your better than import drivers because you spend a few grand buying a fast car, but anyone can do that. It takes skill and money to swap an engine, or install a tubro kit. It takes our own time and sweat to mold and fit body kits and put performance parts on. My grandma can go out and buy a Mustang, I don't think she could modify an import though. I KNOW that my import will beat an stock GT in a race.

Now I'm not trying to diss your personal preference - everyone can do whatever they want to their ride. If somone adds a big muffler that you claim sounds like a "fart" or "dying bumblebee" maybe they like it and they do it just for performance. If someone wants a huge metal wing, let them have it in peace!

I know you think the import scene is just a phase and will die down soon, but the truth is, after many years the "American Muscle" phase is finally over and its time to move on. Muscle cars were big a few years ago, but that time is over and modified cars are now taking over. It's not "Fast and the Furious" that started this, modified imports have been big for a while, and its getting bigger.

Thats my 2 cents for you guys, I just wanted to get it off my chest.
Old 05-15-2002, 03:45 PM   #2
PKRWUD

It's a free country, and we all get to make our own choices. I hear where you're coming from, and I'm not going to start an arguement. Quite honestly, I've got better things to do. I will let you know that Mustangs get just as modified as imports do, and Mustang owners pour just as much blood, sweat and tears into their cars as any import owner does. You guys aren't unique in your devotion to your ride. You also aren't taking over. At least not when it comes to winning.

I wish you the best in your automotive adventures.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 05-15-2002, 03:55 PM   #3
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

Angry Ignorance at it's finest....

Do mustangs not get modified? Do they not respond to modifications? I guess we have no skill either, huh?
I guess a Tubro (your spelling, not mine) kit would be useless on a mustang? And noone in the mustang world has ever done an engine swap!
It's people like you trying to pass ignorance for intelligent that give some sectors of the import crowd a bad name.
Old 05-15-2002, 04:02 PM   #4
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

You're right, it's a free country. You like imports, we like Mustangs. So what?

Why stir the pot, especially on a Mustang site? What does it accomplish? Nothing. I could go over to some import site and do the same thing. For what? "To get it off my chest"??? Please.

E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
Old 05-15-2002, 04:10 PM   #5
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

Quote:
It takes skill and money to swap an engine
What's your point?

Quote:
It takes our own time and sweat to mold
and fit body kits and put performance parts on.
Again, what's your point?

Quote:
"American Muscle" phase is finally over and its time to move on.
You're kidding, right?

Note that your welcome to contribute to these forums, but here's some advice: Have a point. Make logical comments. Support your arguements.

It's all pretty simple.

E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
Old 05-15-2002, 04:13 PM   #6
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Default Re: Lets talk about import vs. domestic for a second........

OK, I bet this guy never comes to this board again so posting a response is next to useless, but I'm bored and looking for fun so what the hay!

Quote:
Originally posted by Makaveli
I am the owner of an import. I came across this site by chance and I found many of you talking trash about imports. I understand that this is a Mustang board so I wasn't too shocked.
First off, I'm happy to see you started off intelligently. To me, this means you may drive an import, but are not a "ricer"

Quote:

I'm not going to lie, I don't like Mustangs. I believe they are ugly.
Of course I thing may imports are ugly. But this is all personal preference, and too each his own.

Quote:
and they are not as fast as you Mustang owners make them out to be.
This is where you start to lose credibility. Stop watches don't lie and physical laws (to my knowledge) can't be altered. So you'll have to excuse me in thinking your a moron when a stock mustang travels down the 1/4 mile in 14 seconds and you blister down in 16+

Quote:

You guys use terms like "ricers" and "rice rockets" to describe imports, which is not only stupid, but also racist.
Yes you are right. Ricers are so stupid they should be considered there own race. On this board owning an import does not make you a ricer, acting stupid, pretending to know about cars, making unrealistic claims of power, putting flashing lights on your car in an attempt to look cool and adding 21" rims where the inside of the tire sits 2" from the side of the car: all makes you a ricer!

Quote:

So Mustangs are pretty fast stock, right? Well not fast, lets say quick. So what?? It takes no skill what-so-ever to buy a car and drive it stock. Some people would much rather take an ordinary car, fast or not, and modify it to be fast and look good. Maybe you guys think your better than import drivers because you spend a few grand buying a fast car, but anyone can do that. It takes skill and money to swap an engine, or install a tubro kit. It takes our own time and sweat to mold and fit body kits and put performance parts on. My grandma can go out and buy a Mustang, I don't think she could modify an import though.

This is where you become a ricer. I WISH SOME DAY THESE RETARDS WILL UNDERSTAND THIS...

you add a turbo----We add a turbo ---> Mustang's faster
you add exhaust---We add exhaust --->Mustang's faster
you swap engines---we swap engines ---> Mustang's faster

I don't understand why ricers can grasp these simple concepts! It's like reason and common sense leave there brain when there car leaves the lot!

Quote:
I KNOW that my import will beat an stock GT in a race.
REALLY!!!! A STOCK ONE!!! WOW YOU DON'T SAY!!! How much did you spend to achieve that?? What happend to your warranty?? How ofter does your car break down now???

WOW maybe I should by an import!

Quote:

Now I'm not trying to diss your personal preferance, everyone can do whatever they want to their ride. If somone adds a big muffler that you claim sounds like a "fart" or "dying bumblebee" maybe they like it and they do it just for performance. If someone wants a huge metal wing, let them have it in peace!
I don't really care what you do to your car. If I think its stupid and funny I'm going to laugh (or wait maybe I'm racist ).

What bugs most "muscle" car people is the poor attitude and complete lack of knowledge, willingness to learn and intelligence of most ricers.

I've argued with people who claim there "stock" civic can beat my mustang with a 300 shot of NOS (), YEP, that's right 300 shot, and the engine is still running! (I'm really going to believe THAT one)

Quote:

I know you think the import scene is just a phase and will die down soon, but the truth is, after many years the "American Muscle" phase is finally over and its time to move on. Muscle cars were big a few years ago, but that time is over and modifyed cars are now taking over. It's not "Fast and the Furious" that started this, modifyed imports have been big for a while, and its getting bigger.
Well I think you finally made sense here. You're right ricers are not going away. There will ALWAYS be stupid people, and as long as there is there will ALWAYS be ricers, they just might drive difference cars.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
Old 05-15-2002, 04:26 PM   #7
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Smile Imports vs Domestics

Makiveli:

We've seen this argument about a thousand times on this board so your comments are not new or unique but thanks for an honest, if not agreeable, post.

Mustangs are very quick. The numbers don't lie. New 4.6 GT's can see 13's out of the showroom, without turbos or superchargers or nitrous oxide. I doubt your grandmother will buy a Mustang but I'll bet she loves the latest Honda. Notice the difference here?

Look, you can take a little foreign car designed to be basic transportation and pour time and money into it and make it quick. That's rewarding, I get that. Thousands of Mustang owners do the same thing, despite your assumption that every Mustang is stock. You wish, my friend. Actually, the opposite is usually true.

Difference is that the Mustang is designed to be a fast, sporty car and pouring hard work and cash into it only enhances it and can deliver an 11-second car that can handle the power in every way as well as blow off most of the 'Fast-and Furious' wannabe's on the road.

We can yammer at each other all day about what's fastest but the fact is that despite the huge amount of Japanese econocars on the road pretending to be fast (stickers and plastic crap all over your car doesn't equal fast, just delusional) very few 'modified' Japanese econocars see better than 14's on the street and guess what? They all want to race Mustangs (and Camaros). They usually lose.

The fact that a few modified or nitroused Civics beat some stock Mustangs here and there is meaningless, as side by side, a modified Civic with less than about $3,000. invested in it will probably lose to any V-8 Mustang with around $1,000. invested as there is a 3-second et gap to begin with that is very, very hard for the Japanese econocar to close and easy for the Mustang V-8 to extend.

Two more things in response to your assertions.

The term 'rice' as applied to Japanese-origin vehicles is not inherently racist, no more than 'Kraut' (for German) or 'Limey' (for British) is. We don't play that bogus PC game here. We're Americans and we celebrate American muscle cars, specifically Mustangs. If you prefer Japanese manufactured cars you're welcomed to them but don't attempt to make personal choice a racial bias issue or make a generic nickname some sort of PC crime. You can do better than that.

Many of us own a Japanese-manufactured car as a family hauler or basic transportation and we don't apologize for it. I'm one of those people. I just don't expect my little 2-litre Mazda to be a performance car and I don't intend to force it into one, even though it's possible, given enough time and money.

Finally, you're either very young or very naive if you believe that 'modified' imports are the big wave of the future. They may take their place in the American automotive line but V-8 muscle cars will always be the car of choice for those who want more than a whine and a fart from their car and get tired of needing nitrous and turbos to keep up to the Mustang V-8's that keep passing them.

Time will tell, but I'll choose good old American V-8 muscle over Japanese econocars-on-steroids any day.

See you in my rear-view mirror.
Old 05-15-2002, 04:33 PM   #8
The Deuce
Registered Member

Question Racist?

I didn't realize it was possible to be racist against a brand of automobile. Dang we better look out, before we get hit with a suit by the ACLU. I formally take no stance on any performance issues in the interest of equal protection under the speed limit.

Oh to heck with it. I HATE RICE! I've had performance imports, but there is nothing like a v-8. Maybe I'm a redneck at heart, but I can deal with it.

What is your point? I could take a Ford Tempo and make it faster than whatever you drive. And I could do it without a turbo. But that would be a waste of my time, as most people here believe if you want to be fast, start fast and get faster. If you actually build your motor yourself, I applaud you. Most guys I know with imports get the work done for them.

I also like the fact that you don't tell us what you drive. You can tell what I do, and yes the only fast thing is my Honda. Which will beat your "Import". I didn't realize that was a brand.

As far as the "American Muscle Scene is over", pull your head out. How many Japanese imports come with 400bhp? Um zero. 2003 Cobra, z06 and Viper all dyno over 400.

If you want to prove your fast, put up or shut up. You fit the mold perfectly making ambigous claims about a mystery car. It is exactly that that gets made fun of. Put up a list of car, mods, and location, and we will get somebody there to spank you.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
Old 05-15-2002, 04:49 PM   #9
AZ87NA
Registered Member

Default HAHA

Poor kid, so delusional. I too own an import, I dont consider myself rice, and I do make fun of rice myself. I hate FWD Civics with 100 lbs. of Vinyl Stickers and $3,000 worth of "intimidating" plastic and "NOS...the big ones, and two of 'em". I hate any car thats sounds "farty" and I do believe American Muscle is no contest for the import world. I love my '87 Supra (201,546 miles and counting), but I'd give anything for the rumble of my seat from a stout V8 with headers, and a 3 inch exhaust and the neck snapping torque that comes with it. Oh, and since when did American Muscle die out? Why didnt they let me know?!?! I just wanted to get that off my chest

I wonder what this kid drives. Any guesses?
Old 05-15-2002, 04:54 PM   #10
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Default Re: HAHA

Quote:
Originally posted by AZ87NA
Poor kid, so delusional. I too own an import, I dont consider myself rice, and I do make fun of rice myself. I hate FWD Civics with 100 lbs. of Vinyl Stickers and $3,000 worth of "intimidating" plastic and "NOS...the big ones, and two of 'em". I hate any car thats sounds "farty" and I do believe American Muscle is no contest for the import world. I love my '87 Supra (201,546 miles and counting), but I'd give anything for the rumble of my seat from a stout V8 with headers, and a 3 inch exhaust and the neck snapping torque that comes with it. Oh, and since when did American Muscle die out? Why didnt they let me know?!?! I just wanted to get that off my chest

I wonder what this kid drives. Any guesses?
Here is the perfect example of a guy who drives an import and is not rice. See, import does not = rice. Dumb people = rice.

There are "riced-out" mustangs and Camaro's!

I bet ricer buddy doesn't even own his own car, probably drives his parents car.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
Old 05-15-2002, 05:18 PM   #11
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

All I have to say is this:

You think mustang guys overrate how fast their ride is???

That is the damn definition of rice!!! Dont you see?? We drive around in our stock 13-14 sec rides and have to be constantly challenged by Joe Blow in his 17 sec Civic who OVERRATES THE SPEED OF HIS IMPORT !!!! If you've dumped a turbo, engine swap, whatever, and you're quick, we respect that. We just hate when people buy a civic, slap on an annoying exhaust, a metal spoiler, and some stickers, and go cruising around looking for races and wasting our gas.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
Old 05-15-2002, 05:20 PM   #12
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

omg...you can't really have this MUCH TIME to post on a board in which you don't even have ANY interest in? Sounds like someone has a slow, boring car Get a life and get off our boards...I think all the members should adopt the "annoying kid" policy...ignore him and he will eventually leave.
Old 05-15-2002, 06:29 PM   #13
srv1
Get down.....

Exclamation IMPORTS ARE COOL, BUT REALITY MAY BE DIFFERENT, CONSULT A DOCTOR!

First off your spelling of your name. Its Machiavelli! you must be a TUPAC lover.
Second. you may know somethings about cars, but evidentally your 11th grade auto class just teaches "tire changing 101". seriously, there is ownly about a handful of imports that can beat our muscle cars.
Now i have no problem with imports at all. i like them alot! i have 3 Toyota trucks. i have no problem modding them at all or when people do, but your reality is mostly a dream world. if it wasnt for us(Americans), I truly believe the performance automotive industry wouldnt be as big or as strong today. yeah you have your Porsche and Ferrari's, but the average joe/jane wouldnt be able to afford them anyways.
so just remember this: remember who "brang" the term "muscle" to the car industry. remember who brang, shaving your heads for compression, cam lobe speration, lift and duration. remember who brang "port and polish" and "blending the bowls". remember who brang "posi-traction". remember who brang "headers" and performance mufflers. remember who brang "slicks". not saying all these ideas were all American, but WE popularized it and researched it the most. one other thing, remember who brang HORSEPOWER AND TORQUE to the scene! i give you a second to think............................................. ..............no it wasnt Honda!........................no it wasnt Toyota!.......................forget it, you still don't know. let me give you hint:

oh and another thing: "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" - Nicolo Machiavelli

thats funny, i don't see any import top fuel dragsters?

you need to get some "hands on" experience first before you can talk ANY numbers! if you have any, then you must have dumped alot of money to make your Briggs and Straton go fast! huh, it probably is fast! but, at least we dont have to take a second mortgage to go fast. you may want to think about that issue at hand. good luck, cause your gunna need it for these guys, cause they will chew you up......
Old 05-15-2002, 06:48 PM   #14
andy669
Registered Member

95mustanggt I hope you dont mind it I redo your math.... hehheehehe....

you add a turbo----We do nothing ---> Mustang's faster
you add exhaust---We do nothing --->Mustang's faster
you swap engines---We do nothing ---> Mustang's faster

andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
Old 05-15-2002, 07:01 PM   #15
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Personally I like his quote that it takes no skill to drive a domestic. LOL. Yeah, MaD sKiLLz are needed to drive a turbo import.

I've beaten a turbo prelude with a very near stock 87GT. Wonder what import you have that is sooo fast with a turbo? A turbo kit on a Mustang will net 11's in the quarter, if you can get both wide rear tires to keep from burning through 60mph.

The fast imports have largely been discontinued for sale in the US. Mainly because they couldn't compete. A 35k price tag for a car that isn't much or any faster than a 15k Mustang was the reason. I picked up my 02GT for $21k, and good drivers are getting mid/high 13's out of them off the showroom floor. I guess I would consider that pretty damn quick. Fast actually. For a street car, 13's is moving pretty damn good. There is the import scene, for those who don't know how engines work, and there is the domestic scene for those who do. Then again, the Pro 5.0 class of Mustang's are running 6's at 200mph+ in the 1/4. Faster than any imports, period.
Old 05-15-2002, 07:22 PM   #16
Back Seat Driver
Registered Member

Default BWHAHA

Well you see here civics that are respectably done up and all that crap are fine with me. But you say your car would beat a STOCK mustang, What KIND of STOCK mustang V-6?
Here is a CUSTOM RICE ROCKET. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1827974300
It says it in the TITLE from the CIVIC OWNER! So Racism? I think NOT.

Oh and he is probably Bragging to his RICER friends about how he got the mustang guys Soooooo madd. lol

MY 3 cents

NIK
Old 05-15-2002, 11:29 PM   #17
Makaveli
Registered Member

My grandma drives a GT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tint.jpg (81.0 KB, 36 views)
Old 05-16-2002, 12:40 AM   #18
7up
Registered Member

Why don't you tell us about your car and how much money you've spent on it? You just got asked a lot of questions by a lot of people and "my grandma drives a GT" is your only response? Pretty cool guy
Ricer Hater's Club-member #16
Old 05-16-2002, 12:53 AM   #19
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Thumbs down

Troll...
Move along... this IS a Mustang board. People LIKE Mustangs here! Go figure! Always people who own different things give other people **** for what they own! Get over it... I'm so used to hearing Rustang or Found On Road Dead, etc.. but I'm not gonna go over to your RICE board and start $hit. Why bother, you like what you have, I like what I have... I'm impressed by many imports, and respect them.
Good luck!
Old 05-16-2002, 12:54 AM   #20
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

BTW go to the corral (won't let me type in the address figure it out, ends in .net) and try this argument there... you'll get a WAY different approach...