MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-24-2002, 03:18 PM   #41
Mach 1
Registered Member

Good points. I knew China was a bad place to live and that there was a lot of manufacturing there for the reasons you mentioned, but I am just suprised that it seems that everything is made in China. You used to see a mix of countires, but it seems chinas got the monoply on the "cheap" products anyway.

Is there anything you dont know Jim? Do you read the newspapers and watch the news a lot? You seem so well informed on so many different things.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 03:55 PM   #42
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Informed opinion

Is there anything you don't know Jim? Do you read the newspapers and watch the news a lot? You seem so well informed on so many different things.

Theres a lot I don't know but thanks for the compliment.

Yes, I'm an avid reader and 'news junkie' and I spend a lot of time on political websites. I've also studied politics and history for quite some time. I avoid most TV news as it's biased (liberal) but the news analysis shows are informative (Alan Keyes, Bill O'Reilly, Chris Matthews).

I like to be informed about the world I live in and once you've educated yourself, you form opinions based on what you know. I am opinionated but I also try to see the other side of any given issue.

The trick is to disagree without being disagreeable, something I don't always accomplish but then, some folks view any disagreement as an attack on their character, or something, and that makes reasoned debate difficult. I try.
Old 04-24-2002, 05:12 PM   #43
Mach 1
Registered Member

That makes sense, as you really seem to have a handle on politics and history, 2 of my weaker areas.

And most Americans are weak in History and Politics, so those are good areas to improve your knowledge.

take care
RHC member #142
Old 04-24-2002, 05:49 PM   #44
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

With regard to the Chinese having nuclear capabilities, what are your thoughts on Clinton/Gore allegedly selling nuclear secrets to those boys over in China...

I apologize for my ignorance BTW

And, yes I am a xenophobe (you hit the proverbial nail right on the head Mr 5.0). My buddies give me hell from time to time for my negativity relating to world issues and foreign countries/people. I'm a sort of radical in some regards, and as you all have figured out by now, most of my ranting is unsubstantiated.

I have fun with it sometimes, seeing how different people react to my thoughts... no harm intended.

Oh... "open mouth, insert foot" I hope some of you feel better.
It is within my capacity to listen and learn. I am for the most part uninformed on what REALLY is going on in our global community, as are most people inhabiting this planet.

I still dislike foreign labeled vehicles, due mostly to my "patriotic" upbringing. Don't think or assume that I am pleased with every action that the U.S. is/was involved in. I personally am a sort of isolationist, which would in-turn go right back to Dr. 5.0's diagnosing my xenophobia. I get a kick out of your comments, I like them actually.

BTW, yes I am a sinner; and, I have cast many stones in my 24 yrs. and have learned from the many mistakes I've made (and will continue to do so). I refer to myself as a complete idiot for the simple fact that just when you think you have something figured out, you begin to realize the complexities involved in just about everything; whether it be a political issue or a drag racing issue.

I am working on getting my car ready to make some passes at the track (that is afterall where this thread originated before I opened my big mouth) and realized that my strictly bolt-on days are over. I had to get a starter for my alum. McLeod 164 tooth flywheel with a 3/8'' offset on the ring gear (early 289-302-351 w 3 spd manual flywheel style starter, not the run of the mill 302 starter) got it, and realized that the powermaster unit would not work with my headers (the batt. post is located on the side of the starter, not the front, and the no. 3 tube lays right on it... I can either shim the starter I have (hitachi, can you believe it?) or try to find a different mini-starter other than a powermaster. I'll get 'er fingered out soon.

I just sent back a bellhousing to swap for the correct one. The unit I received was for a standard Jerico/toploader which has a shorter input shaft. My Jerico has the longer input shaft for a direct replacement as far as the bellhousing goes. There was a 3/4" difference in depth between the one I received from McLeod and the stocker (the stocker is deeper). I am also waiting on some modified hyd roller lifters that are built for high rpm use without pumping up and floating the valves... It's coming together believe it or not. Hard telling what I will come across next...

If I get mad, I'll just throw my Sony 36" Wega out the window... Oh, wait... It takes three men and a boy to pick that damn thing up! No, I don't own a playstation or nintendo (I'm not into video games)

I'll post some pics of the install (McLeod Soft Lok and Jerico DR4) at my MustangWorks homepage if it ever comes together

Thanks for making me think twice everyone, appreciated! More boisterous opinionated illogical comments later...

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 06:30 PM   #45
Mr 5 0

Smile World affairs and Mustangs

Ultraflo:

You wrote:

I apologize for my ignorance

You're not ignorant; just misinformed, uninformed or hold opinions not not fully formed in some instances but I do appreciate your honesty and sense of humor.

Your take on the reality of the complexities involved in many political issues is astute. and yes, we all learn as we go.

You also wrote:

With regard to the Chinese having nuclear capabilities, what are your thoughts on Clinton/Gore allegedly selling nuclear secrets to those boys over in China...

Let me respond by stating that I believe the Clinton/Gore administration was one of the most corrupt presidential administrations in our nation's history and that they did much harm on many levels to this country. The sex scandals were only a minor part despite all the focus on that aspect of the Clinton years.

Specifically, the possible selling of classified nuclear weapon secrets to China in exchange for campaign contributions by the Clinton White house has many dimensions.

First, it's the almost inevitable result of electing a very corrupt man as President. Corrupted men like Clinton are capable of corrupt acts, so I wasn't surprised when these allegations surfaced.

I fully believe that the Chinese certainly did obtain classified nuclear-weapons intelligence and specific technical information that helps them improve their nuclear capability. Obviously, this has serious ramifications for the United States.

Unfortunately, what's done is done and we cannot turn back the clock, but should war ever break out between the U.S. and China (unlikely, in my opinion) we could be at some disadvantage. Hopefully, not.

I believe that if it were ever proven that Clinton, Gore or anyone in the Clinton administration sold classified nuclear information to the Chinese government, they should be immediately prosecuted, no matter how much time has passed.

Unfortunately, I don't believe the Bush administration has any intention or interest in pursuing this kind of investigation so the odds of Clinton or Gore ever being charged with treason is probably nil.

I appreciate your isolationism but frankly it's pretty much a dead political issue in this day of instant communications, supersonic jets and nuclear missiles that can transverse the planet in minutes. I'm afraid the big pond doesn't protect us any more.

I would caution you to avoid not only xenophobia, but flat-out racism when possible. I'm not fond of some of the people that inhabit this earth but I try to condemn them for what they do, not who they are or what they look like.

Specifically, Arabs. A contentious people who seem to be intent on destroying the tiny nation of Israel, just because it's populated by Jews. Frustrating situation there that's essentially tribal but - that's another thread.

I wish you well with your 'Stang. It's always a hassle when you begin to do serious mods and have to start improvising to make things fit - or work, but the originality and ultimate success of the project is it's own reward, along with good timeslips.

I'm glad you've enjoyed my comments as I've enjoyed our dialogue. We'll do it again some time soon, I'm sure.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 08:54 PM   #46
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

You are a gentleman and a scholar Mr. 5.0 (and a very sharp individual as well).

It's a wonderful feeling to know that I am not the only one who has a certain "distaste," if you will, for the Clinton administration. Sexual affairs are the least of my concern... I get sick to my stomach when I hear how great the dynamic duo were, and how they've done so much for our country.

That is all I will say regarding this matter, it's been real.

Thank you

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
Old 04-25-2002, 06:17 PM   #47
polara7777
Registered Member

heh Hey I'm ignorant and ignarance really is bliss! (Well for the most part.)
-67 Dodge Polara (383 punched 30, Heavy head work, Mopar Performance single plane intake, Holley 750, electric fuel pump, Holley regulator, .484 duration cam, FRIED bottom end!) DOH!!! Fried the #1 rod bearing. Stroker kit coming!
-01 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Clear lenses, shaved fender, rear signals in the rear housing, baffles removed, Deals Gap dragon on the tail.)
polara7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 09:50 PM   #48
elliotness
Registered Member

Default Nice car just not my style

Look,

Let's not get defensive.

The Subaru is a nice ride and is very impressive for a 4 banger. However, I wouldn't buy one.

I think we all like Mustangs for other reasons than they are fast. Hell we all know that the Camero and Firebirds are faster than Mustangs.

I like the style and look of the mustang. Not to mention the way it sounds at idle. Mustangs are the heat, but give the Isuzu some props.
elliotness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 02:47 AM   #49
induction
The Brit!

Unhappy

So , uh.. anyone seen any nice cars today? lol
April Mare of the Month RiceHatersClub Member #27
induction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 11:23 PM   #50
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

My gift to the boys on the mustangworks message forum:

Dear friend of MoveOn,
>
> In honor of Earth Week, we've come up with a great
> way to fight
> the short-sightedness of American car companies. We
> need your help.
> Hey, there's even a chance to win a free, new Honda
> Civic Hybrid.
> Read on...
>
> In the energy bill about to pass in the Senate,
> General Motors has
> again scuttled sound energy policy. GM spent
> millions lobbying
> against fuel efficiency standards. Meanwhile,
> American car
> companies are getting trapped in a market niche that
> will eventually
> disappear -- focusing on products like the 8,600
> pound Humvee.
> We've got to save GM from its own short-sightedness,
> before it's
> too late.
>
> General Motors needs to hear from us in the most
> powerful way possible.
> We urge you to take this pledge:
>
> "I will seriously consider buying a General Motors
> vehicle ONLY if:
> - GM offers a fuel-efficient line of vehicles;
> - GM supports meaningful increases in fuel
> efficiency standards;
> - GM supports efforts to reduce carbon pollution
> and
> global warming."
>
> Just go to:
>
> http://www.moveon.org/saveGM/
>
> When you pledge, we'll automatically enroll you in a
> drawing for a new
> Honda Civic Hybrid, conducted by our friends at the
> Patriot's Energy
> Pledge campaign. The hybrids from Japan prove that
> great cars can be
> efficient too. Why is Japan out in front on this?
> Didn't we learn
> anything from the 70s, when American car companies
> lost huge market
> share to foreign imports?
>
> Sign the pledge now. The free Honda Civic Hybrid
> will be awarded July
> 4th in Washington, DC. Let's save the American car
> industry from
> itself. Let's save hundreds of thousands of
> American jobs. Let's save
> our country from its crippling dependence on oil.
> Let's lead the
> world to a sustainable future.
>
> Go to:
>
> http://www.moveon.org/saveGM/
>
> Thank you,
>
> -Wes Boyd
> MoveOn.org
> April 25th, 2002
> __________
> This is a message from MoveOn.org

What do you guys think???

L8R

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
Old 04-27-2002, 08:56 AM   #51
Mach 1
Registered Member

Interesting, And they make a good point, however, GM and the rest of the american car companies are already working on hybrid vehicles, as far as I know, and its not suprising they are behind the japs once again in technology.

And finally, I have no interest in saving GM. They could go out of business tomorrow, and I wouldnt care. Im a Ford guy, as most people on this web site are.

GM deserves to go under for the garbage they have been making for the last 25 years.
RHC member #142
Old 04-27-2002, 10:01 AM   #52
Mr 5 0

Thumbs down Eco-nuts

Ultraflow:

Read the screed. Bunch of BS, in my opinion.

This is just of bunch of eco-whackos and global warming true believers that hate cars, pimping for something that they want us to believe is the salvation of the U.S. It isn't. These people hate corporations and this is just another stupid attack on U.S. business by highly educated idiots who think we should all eat twigs and leaves and bicycle to work. Not my crowd.

Conservation won't do the job, we need to shove the tree-huggers out of the way, stop wringing our hands over the spotted owl or whatever and start drilling for available oil right here in the U.S.

Incidentally, Japan is big on gas-saving vehicles because they not only have a poor economy now but they import 100% of their gasoline, making it hideously expensive there. We don't need to do that; there are oil reserves in the U.S. and under the ocean we can tap if the eco-nuts get out of the way and stop blocking oil exploration while touting for tiny, electric/gas cars that no one wants but that fit their vision of a pristine America.

Screw them.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 11:42 AM   #53
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Ahhhh....yes I was about to go off on a rant but, Mr.5.0 took care of it for me.

Thank you ,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 12:00 PM   #54
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

I thought you two would get a kick out of this! A guy that I get my benchmade knives from sent me this... he lives in California with all of those other tree huggers (before anyone reminds me that my line of thinking is disgusting, not all Californians are tree huggers, just those in govt. that represent them)

Mr. 5.0 (ROTFLMAO) I truly appreciate your line of thinking... I couldn't agree with you more. I'm no tree hugger, and I believe that we (Americans) should tell OPEC to stick it up their bung-holes and, indeed, start drilling for our own oil. Educated idiots, ah yes.... IMO, when someone tells me how great a japanese, chinese, or saudi (waiting for bin Laden or Saddam to make a car so everyone will go out and buy it, and say how great it is) my stomach turns. A fact is a fact, and I have trouble digesting that one!

On a side note:
I guess we should have sent thousands of men over to Japan and have them slaughtered rather than drop two bombs on them and call it a day. How many Marines died at Iwo Jima? And I'm supposed to feel bad for our obliviating Japan and the treatment of Japanese Americans, LOL. What a joke! No remorse here... I suppose we'll be hearing more about how bad the towelbandits are being treated at Guantanamo Bay... the world is a scary place! Kill or be killed...

Anyhow, enough ranting:
I have been told that GM has the technology to produce such a car... I would much rather see them come back with a decent Camaro to compete with the Mustang. I wouldn't wish that GM go out of business, I like Chevy trucks. I don't care for the fact that they sell foreign crap at their dealerships either, but so does Ford. They want a piece of the market share... greedy Americans! LOL

In honor of Earth Week, give me a break! Already got a GM, a 2000 Z71 ext. cab 1500 Silverado, and love it! Nothing will ever come close to my love for the fox-body Mustang though, never! (well, maybe some hot blonde )

Thank you for your thoughts, appreciated!

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
Old 04-27-2002, 12:03 PM   #55
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

So nobody wants a Honda Civic Hybrid? It gets 48 mpg, and puts out an astonishing 87 hp! I'm seriously considering one

Real solid vehicle with technologically advanced engineering! Everyone should have one!

Try to save GM and win a Honda? WOW

Maybe this guy can help us out... MENSA voted this guy the best president of all time (astonishing) - speaking of educated idiots!

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph

Last edited by ultraflo; 04-27-2002 at 12:47 PM..
Old 04-27-2002, 12:40 PM   #56
andy669
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crazy horse gt
i cant root for the red wing's, or ny yankee's?
No you cant!

You must root for the White Sox!......... Wait, theyre a northern team too....... doh....

andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 01:14 PM   #57
Mach 1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ultraflo

I don't care for the fact that they sell foreign crap at their dealerships either, but so does Ford.

What foreign car is Ford selling at their dealerships? Wont find no "Geos" over at the Ford dealer.
RHC member #142
Old 04-27-2002, 01:31 PM   #58
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

The Ford Ranger and Ford Probe are glorified Mazdas... what about the Jaguar, and whatever anyone has traded in on a new Ford, be it a Geo (yuck) or anything else you could come up with.

Don't forget about the Daewoo, a local GM dealer sells those POS's also...

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
Old 04-27-2002, 02:25 PM   #59
Mach 1
Registered Member

I think you misunderstand what Im talking about. The Ford Ranger is built by Ford and sold with a Mazda name on it. It has a Ford engine, and is a Ford. Anyway, im getting sidetracked. All the manufactures have "cross breeds" if you will, but GM is taking an entirely Jap car and selling it under the GEO name. The Geo prism is a toyota. The geo tracker is a suzuki. The geo metro is a Suzuki. And I mean 100% suzuki and toyota. Theres no mix and match of parts. Its a foreign car with the name GEO on it. Do you see the difference? Ford doesnt do this as far as I can tell.

Doesnt the Probe have a Ford engine?

Selling a Daewoo at a "combined" Chevy/Daewoo dealer is not the same as selling a Jap car under the name GEO from a Chevy dealer. There is no GEO. Its just a name on a different cars. GEO never made a car in thier life. GE0 doesnt even exist. A GEO is a name on another car. This is not the case with the brands you mentioned.
RHC member #142
Old 04-27-2002, 02:34 PM   #60
Unit 5302
Registered Member

The Ford Probe was discontinued in 1996, the Mazda B series is a glorified Ranger.

Ford/Mercury/Lincoln's Current Lineup.

-Focus
-Mustang
-Taurus
-Ranger
-F Series
-Escape
-Explorer
-Expedition
-Excursion
-Cougar
-Sable
-Mountaineer
-Continental
-Town Car
-LS
-Navigator
-Blackwood

I'm not seeing a whole lot of imports there. I may have left some out. Sure there are parts on the cars that came from overseas, but the cars themselves are based here, primarily. Global Marketplace. Get used to it.

On the China subject, I feel it keeps inching closer to a civil war there. I don't like the idea they have nuclear weapons, or that their military seems to have a great deal of power over the supposed leadership. I certainly don't believe that it's a stable country, or that it's govenment is to be trusted even one bit. I think all the trade that we've been doing with them has served the US interest within that country. I believe China has become quite dependant on money from the United States, and the government knows it. Unfortunately, I also believe the military doesn't care, and it will attempt to perform a coup de dat if it sees an opportunity.

On the Japan subject, I don't like the fact we still support them with our military. It's high time that Japan was given the obligation to create it's own military. Their economy has been very poor in the last few years, probably due largely to the NAFTA agreement, technology manufacturing in Singapore, China, and Korea. Japan has very little in regards to natural resources, or land area. It is a country very much dependant on the global economy to prosper. Now that it is seeing increased competition from it's Asian neighbors, and a growing relationship with Mexican and Canadian workers from US industries, I think it is much more obvious how dependant the Japanese are on the American market. Japanses businesses have protected themselves by diversification, betting that demand for a great deal of different products will not collapse all at once. Honda and Yamaha are great examples of this. Obviously, if a business can diversify a great deal, it can save a tremendous amount of money by cooperation between different divisions. The added communication probably better serves technology and implementation of new ideas across a variety of sectors as well. That being said, I truely believe the US does not lag behind anybody in the world as far as technology is concerned. I don't believe Ford, anyway, lags behind the Japanese in automotive technology, either. I do believe Ford has chosen to focus it's attention partially on overseas markets, and that they've chosen to implement only technology which is marketable within their products.

What could be our greatest ally, could be our once greatest foe. I think Russia has tremendous potential as an American ally. It's unfortunate, but understandable given historical information how Russia is a bit xenophobic, and reluctant to trust outside countries. Their current leader Putin, is nothing more than a soldier. Neither do I believe he is capable of helping his people, nor is he likely to allow the US to bail Russia out in an attempt to gain on the long term investment. Maybe I'm just biased in favor of Russian women accents? LOL
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote