MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 08-24-2002, 03:16 PM   #21
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Wait wait wait, I thought it needed the newest version of the MAC OS to make photoshop fast? Now your saying that photoshop is slow in OS 10 because they had to rebuild photoshop? C'mon which is it? Since Macs are made for photoshop, we better start telling everyone to go back to OS9.

Yes gameing has to do w/ the graphics card, but you can use he same cards in both PC's and MACs. So then it really comes down to the processor doesnt it? And a PC will whip the MAC hands down everytime.

Dollar for Dollar he PC is 2x less money. A Dual CPU 1GHZ G4 w/ a superdrive, 80gb hdd, 1GB Ram with a hefty school discount will cost $3111.

I could build a P4 for half that, and a athlon for even less.

The benchmarks are there. Maybe OS10 is slightly more stable? I havnt used it enough to know one way or the other. But you cant debate the $ or speed of a PC.

I love this :-D

Skyler

RIP
----
1993 Notch w/ 98 4V 4.6 Fasttt...

-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
12.32@109

-1999 Black Cobra Coupe-
JBA Shorties, Bassani Cat-X, Magnaflow 3", Pulleys, 85mm Pro-M, Ported Intake, Soild Rear w/ 4.30s, Tubular Front End, X2C arms, 13lb batt, few others.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 03:22 PM   #22
shadowblue89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skyman
Wait wait wait, I thought it needed the newest version of the MAC OS to make photoshop fast? Now your saying that photoshop is slow in OS 10 because they had to rebuild photoshop? C'mon which is it?

Skyler
No No No. Photoshop is realy fast. It's just not takeing full advantage of what the CPU is capable of doing.

89 GT 5spd
shadowblue89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 03:22 PM   #23
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Maybe you don't understand how ridiculously you're outclassed here Shadow?

Skyler owns his own PC store, and builds them for a living. He's also had first hand experience with Macintosh computers. We've posted the benchmarks, the analysis, and facts to back up our positions. I've been keeping up with computer performance for quite a while, built a lot on my own PCs, and I was a tech support person for a network of over 200 Mac's.

XP is a far superior O/S as I stated above, with a technical anaylsis on why. Just because you love your Mac doesn't make it any faster or better. The ricer comment was completely in line. Why are people called ricers? Because they talk about their cars as being ultra fast, and how great they are, and trash against the real cars, and they can't back it up. Just like what's going on right now with claims about the Mac being superior.

You've just admitted that Mac launched an O/S incompatable with programs that were designed to run on the Mac. There goes your super Mac's ability to just install and forget it. Furthermore, there are other tests that show how much faster the P4 is than the G4. Such as Premiere. To make matters even more transparent, the PC was forced to run on Macintosh codec. It's like making a guy come to your track to race them, and you get to pick the lane.

Also, the video cards are exactly the same in the test. So you can throw that bit of misinformation about the video cards causing issues right into the trash.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 03:28 PM   #24
Skyman

Quote:
Originally posted by shadowblue89

No No No. Photoshop is realy fast. It's just not takeing full advantage of what the CPU is capable of doing.
So what good is a CPU that you can't take advantage of?

How about a 1500hp engine that will only fit into a 10,000lb semi truck chassis?

Skyler

RIP
----

12.32@109

-1999 Black Cobra Coupe-
JBA Shorties, Bassani Cat-X, Magnaflow 3", Pulleys, 85mm Pro-M, Ported Intake, Soild Rear w/ 4.30s, Tubular Front End, X2C arms, 13lb batt, few others.
Old 08-24-2002, 03:30 PM   #25
RBatson
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Unit 5302
Also, the video cards are exactly the same in the test. So you can throw that bit of misinformation about the video cards causing issues right into the trash.
I've had a canopus card, which worked great and a Monster Fusion that worked after a patch or two. Both ran GLQuake great and I loved it. I upgraded to a P3 with a nvidia card and never could get glquake to work, my quake days were over. I got this new P4 with the GeForce nvidia card and still can't get glquake to work. I think its the card not the processor, this has nothing to do with the debate.. just venting my frustration.

Good debate, carry on
RBatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 03:34 PM   #26
RBatson
Registered Member

Sky, my Vaio is under warranty and a year tech help so I guess I need to take the time to us it. Otherwise I would box this thing up and send it to you.

I know they cut corners where they can but I don't think sony cut too many corners with this unit... It has a Pioneer DVD player and a Pioneer DVD burner, I just think I got ripped on the software.
RBatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 03:40 PM   #27
Skyman

Rick have u downloaded the lastest Detonator4 drivers from nvidia.com?

I have several Nvidia cards and all work great with open GL. You need to load the additional drivers.

What card is it? A Geforce2 series? Lemme know Ill help you get it working.

Skyler

RIP
----

12.32@109

-1999 Black Cobra Coupe-
Old 08-24-2002, 03:40 PM   #28
shadowblue89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Unit 5302
Maybe you don't understand how ridiculously you're outclassed here Shadow?
Nah never. I just love haveing fun talking trash on a PC vs Mac topic.

Quote:
Skyler owns his own PC store, and builds them for a living. He's also had first hand experience with Macintosh computers.
Yes I know Skyler has a PC shop. And if I ever needed anything that i couldn't already get I would contact him.

Quote:
I've been keeping up with computer performance for quite a while, built a lot on my own PCs, and I was a tech support person for a network of over 200 Mac's.
Me too. I work with around 300 MAC's( running OS9 and OSX 10) and around 300 PC's running anything from Windws 95,98,XP,2000 server, NT server, NT workstation.( damn I just realized thats a lot of OS's) I have done this for the past 7 yrs as an Application Support Analyst and tech(sometimes).
Quote:
XP is a far superior O/S as I stated above, with a technical anaylsis on why.
Whatever. Keep telling yourself that.

Quote:
The ricer comment was completely in line. Why are people called ricers? Because they talk about their cars as being ultra fast, and how great they are, and trash against the real cars, and they can't back it up. Just like what's going on right now with claims about the Mac being superior.
That ricer comment is not in line.
Mac's being superior? yeah they are. But Not Always

Quote:
You've just admitted that Mac launched an O/S incompatable with programs that were designed to run on the Mac.
And like your wonderfull windows has not done the same?

Quote:
We were talking about games with the video card issue. Calm down man.

Skyler yes the have the same cards for both but as you know the rom on the cards are different and so are the drivers.

89 GT 5spd
Old 08-24-2002, 03:44 PM   #29
shadowblue89
Registered Member

Quote:

So what good is a CPU that you can't take advantage of?
Thats Adobe's fault

89 GT 5spd
Old 08-24-2002, 04:32 PM   #30
PKRWUD

God, Kell, you are so full of yourself. I've been trying to be civil about this, but you insist of being the low-blow guy. That rice comment was way out of line, but whatever. Did you bother to read the other thread that started this one? The benchmarks you keep referring to are with the LAST GENERATION G4. It has been replaced with an even better design ( Go read about it ). You want me to quote new G4 benchmarks against old PC marks? Give me a break.

The system has been redesigned, with a new system controller ( Read about the new architecture ).

Here's info about the processors.

Here's some info about the SuperDrive, and it includes a benchmark, just for you.

Go here to learn about the graphics.

I had a hard time keeping a straight face when you made that rediculous statement about Macs not being expandable! I've never seen a PC that was this expandable.

Here you will see the software that comes with it. Pay close attention to all the digital software. Windblows has nothing on these.

And here's the simple tech specs, including a benchmark in which the cheapest, $1699 G4 was 45% faster than the $2850 Dell w/ the 2.53 P4.

How about dozens of testimonials from Windblows users that switched to a Mac?

There is even Apple's Top Ten Resons To Switch.

Want the press? here you go.

Then, the real reason the Mac will always be superior: The OS! Jaguar

No software for Macs??? Guess again, Gomer. In fact, Microsoft claims that their version of Office for Macs is leaps and bounds better than the version for Winblows.

There are tons of other pages out there, Kell, but I'm not here to hold your hand while you try and find them. You asked for it, you got it. You want more, go find it yourself. I know you will never accept the fact that Windblows is nothing more than a cheap copy of the Mac OS, so why should I waste any more time on it with you? Charlie is entertained by all this. Quite frankly, you guys are boring me.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 04:44 PM   #31
shadowblue89
Registered Member

YEAH.......... What he said.

And yes I am very entertained by this

89 GT 5spd
Old 08-24-2002, 05:06 PM   #32
Skyman

I am quite entertained myself as well .. I'll work a reply for you tonight Chris, Don't worry you havnt won yet .

Skyler

RIP
----

12.32@109

-1999 Black Cobra Coupe-
Old 08-24-2002, 05:10 PM   #33
shadowblue89
Registered Member

Quote:
I am quite entertained myself as well .. I'll work a reply for you tonight Chris, Don't worry you havnt won yet .

Skyler
You hear that Chris? He said you have not won yet. He is already admitting to loosing.

89 GT 5spd
Old 08-24-2002, 05:13 PM   #34
srv1
Get down.....

Exclamation Mac better?

please read:

http://www.jc-news.com/parse.cgi?pc/.../G4_plus/start
http://arstechnica.com/cpu/01q2/p4an...4andg4e-1.html
http://www.barefeats.com/pentium4.html

well the G4 seems to be fast. In real world testing, it seems the PC is far superior over the Apple. some of the tests beat the P4, but not by much. So it is faster, a little in some aspects. So how much are you going to pay for your G4 compared to the P4 which in your words is SLOW, when they are close in some degree?

the only 2 things i see APPLE's are good for are eating and Photoshop! Woo Hoo!

hey look mom, i just spent $1800 so i can use Photoshop flawlessly!
Old 08-24-2002, 05:18 PM   #35
srv1
Get down.....

2 things:

I personally dont like Windows that much, but of all the Windows OS systems, 98SE works the best. Iam running Xp PRO right now and its interface is "interferring" so to say. so far i dont like XP.

last: can you build a Mac like a PC?
Old 08-24-2002, 05:45 PM   #36
shadowblue89
Registered Member

It's about time someone else got in on this debate.

srv1 make sure you go to all of the links Chris posted. For most all around purposes a MAC will be the better machine. Depending on your needs for a machine this could different.

Hey Skyler here is a little bit of info for you.
winbloze and MAC networking You have to read the whole article.

And here is another good one.
Apple server

89 GT 5spd
Old 08-24-2002, 05:54 PM   #37
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Alright, I've been toying with you for a while. Time to bury you computer rice boy.

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD
God, Kell, you are so full of yourself. I've been trying to be civil about this, but you insist of being the low-blow guy. That rice comment was way out of line, but whatever. Did you bother to read the other thread that started this one? The benchmarks you keep referring to are with the LAST GENERATION G4. It has been replaced with an even better design ( Go read about it ). You want me to quote new G4 benchmarks against old PC marks? Give me a break.

Quit crying like a baby and admit you're dead wrong. I'm sorry I know more than you do about computer performance. Your G4 gets smoked in real world uses. I mean just flamed.

Quote:
The system has been redesigned, with a new system controller ( Read about the new architecture ).
That's great, they're comparing an old PIII memory platform to the latest and greatest Apple has to offer. SDRAM isn't the hottest thing on the market, and P4 absolulely BLITZ's the Apple in memory performance. Furthermore, the advanced ability to hold memory in the Mac is useless because the memory interface is too slow to make a difference. The Sweetness "L3" cache they are talking about isn't even 1/2 as fast as the new 1066 memory on the P4. To make that even sicker, the openly admit their old memory system ran 4x slower than their new one, which is still 2x as slow as the new P4 technology. The new architechture also features a new "faster" 167MHz FSB, hahahahaa. Compared to P4's 1066MHz. Pretty sweet. Furthermore, the enhanced sweet L3 cache tries to fix a problem the P4 doesn't have. The P4's technology actually allows the processor to anticipate commands in advance so it's one step ahead of the game. The dual drive technology is pretty nifty. Too bad the Ultra ATA/100 HDD's are second tier to the 133's the PC's can now get, and at 10,000rpm instead of the 7200 the Mac is limited to. I see Mac is using 5 year old technology DMA 66 drives on the second tier of master/slave configuration. Up to 480GB? Sweet. PC's figured out how to get beyond the 120MB barrier of HDD performance. They're up to 200MB in size each now.

Quote:
Here's info about the processors.[/b]
Nice. Too bad in the real world the processor actually has to work with the rest of the system. Note they didn't do a comparison to any PC chips, let alone dual PC chips.

Quote:
Here's some info about the SuperDrive, and it includes a benchmark, just for you.
LOL, nice benchmark. Too bad you can set the PC up with the same basic technology. Note the asterisk at the end of the benchmark. Apple made the tests in completely different software packages, ahahah. In Adobe for them (which the P4 kills the G4 in, even though the G4 was built specifically for it), and Lycos and Sonic for the PC. PKRWUD whiffs again.

Quote:
Go here to learn about the graphics.
Super duper. The exact same graphics "cards" the PC's use. Wow, that Mac is really ahead of the PC there, lol.

Quote:
I had a hard time keeping a straight face when you made that rediculous statement about Macs not being expandable! I've never seen a PC that was this expandable.
That level of expandability has been on PC's for years now my friend. I have a PIII motherboard that has 5 PCI expansion slots the multiple HDD controllers (which are usually unnecessary on a PC to boot, unless you're using it as a server). My PC currently has a floppy, CDRW, CD, room for a DVD, 2 HDD, holds up to 1 gig of ram, 6 USB ports, 2 DSL modems, 2 open PCI slots, and it's technology is 3 years old, and it was cheap to begin with. LOL

Quote:
Here you will see the software that comes with it. Pay close attention to all the digital software. Windblows has nothing on these.
Wrong. Take a look, grasshopper.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/tec...es/default.asp

Enhanced Windows Media Player, Decoder, Movie Maker, DVD Ram support, and more. The software you list on the Mac is basically a bunch of freeware, such as MICROSOFT Internet Explorer, Adobe 5.0 Reader, and some cheapy multimedia files like Window's Paintbrush. Yawn. If you like MS Office for Mac, go for it. It was designed for Mac users. Mac users are going to like it better. I like the PC version much better. To each their own.

Quote:
And here's the simple tech specs, including a benchmark in which the cheapest, $1699 G4 was 45% faster than the $2850 Dell w/ the 2.53 P4.
A horribly flawed test based on running processor calculations only on a "part" of a Macintosh program (codec) that was tailored to the Mac's processor specifically. That's not a benchmark. It's showing the 60ft time in a 1/4 mile race. Doesn't give you much info. Again, what good is a 500hp race car engine in a tractor trailer with a 3 speed manual from 1965 and 2.73 rear gears?

Quote:
How about dozens of testimonials from Windblows users that switched to a Mac?
Doesn't mean squat. I could show you dozens of Camaro drivers that once had Mustang's. Are you saying the Camaro is the better car because of it?

Quote:
There is even Apple's Top Ten Resons To Switch.
Gasp, shock..... Apple wants you to by Macintoshes instead of PC's??????? Unreal, they are marketing their product. Maybe you should be a Mistubishi because they have a 0, 0, 0 event and Ford doesn't? Hurry up. Get yours today!!

Quote:
Want the press? here you go.
You're so informative, Chris. I betcha Chevy's website has all kinds of good press about their cars!

Quote:
Then, the real reason the Mac will always be superior: The OS! Jaguar
Isn't that the same reason you used why the Mac will never be as fast as the PC in real life? Yeah, sweet O/S. It can't even multitask as well as Windows 95.

Quote:
No software for Macs??? Guess again, Gomer. In fact, Microsoft claims that their version of Office for Macs is leaps and bounds better than the version for Winblows.

There are tons of other pages out there, Kell, but I'm not here to hold your hand while you try and find them. You asked for it, you got it. You want more, go find it yourself. I know you will never accept the fact that Windblows is nothing more than a cheap copy of the Mac OS, so why should I waste any more time on it with you? Charlie is entertained by all this. Quite frankly, you guys are boring me.

Take care,
~Chris [/B]
Sure, there is software out there for Mac's. Take a scroll through your local Best Buy and tell me which software section is bigger. Mac or PC?

You know, I'm not that full of myself, it's just when people are blatently wrong, egotistical little misinformation machines, I have a tendancy to make them look dumb. Call me weird. I call it easy. By the way, while you spent 4hrs researching your post on Apple's own Macintosh website, there wasn't a single piece of data on any of the arguments Skyler or I made. Just percentages, smoke, and mirrors. Exactly what I'd expect to find on the site of an inferior product.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 05:56 PM   #38
srv1
Get down.....

Shadow. i dont think they will be.

this gives you a clue on whats "TOP DOG"

Super Computers
Old 08-24-2002, 06:35 PM   #39
TXinPA
Registered Member

no! my toys are better!
TXinPA is offline   Reply With Quote