MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-15-2001, 04:54 PM   #1
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

Question Anyone ever had shoulder surgery?

After years of abuse from football I'm going to have to have surgery to shorten the tendons at the back of my right shoulder. Over the years it would pop out occasionally until last season where I missed about half the season and practically glued myself back together to play the last two games from it popping out constantly. The surgery will be in May and it takes about 3 months of rehab which will be cutting it close because training camp starts August 17th.

I was just wondering if anyones been through this and what I can expect, I've talked to a couple of people who have had it done in the last few months but noone that has had it done a while ago and has had a chance to fully evaluate the results.

Another thing that sucks is the fact it's my right arm and its at the peak of driving season, tough to shift with your arm in a sling

------------------
GT-40 heads (ported, polished, + milled), B303 cam, 1.7rr's, JE pistons, Offy intake, Carter AFB 625cfm carb, Flowtech 1 5/8" shortys, Flowtech X-pipe, MAC Flowpath exhaust, MAC pulleys, 373's, subframes, Eibachs+Tokicos, B+M ripper, FMS Clutch, Zoom Quadrant+cable, 17" CSA Ultra rims, 235/45ZR17 Yokohama AVS S4's, MSD 6A ignition+coil, FMS 9mm wires, Carbed, Naturally Aspirated, and Nasty!
red82gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 01:53 AM   #2
inferno
The Instigator

I feel your pain. I have had the same problem with my shoulder and because of it, I am no longer in the Coast Guard. My Uncle and my Dad have both had surgery on there shoulder, and I will tell you, it is going to be a pain in the *** . Sorry to say, for the first month, you will not be able to drive your car. You will not be able to control your right arm at all without major discomfort and shifting will hurt like hell. I took the rehabilitation to strengthen my shoulder and build the muscle in that area, but the doctor told me that there is still a chance that I could dislocate it again. I plan on playing football again this year and hopefully, I won't have any problems. I wish you luck.

------------------
"I know you don't really wanna, unleash the dragon..." Sisqo
inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 02:47 PM   #3
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

Yeah, I tried the rehab and the muscles in the area aren't really gonna get much stronger and its usually the quick moves and trying to reach out and tackle or shed a block that causes it to pop out, the physics of playing a pass-rush outside backer aren't in my favor. I've talked to my coach about playing fullback-like I did in high school- just because you don't have to reach out and grab unless you miss a block. Looks like I'll be floating on pain killers all summer

------------------
GT-40 heads (ported, polished, + milled), B303 cam, 1.7rr's, JE pistons, Offy intake, Carter AFB 625cfm carb, Flowtech 1 5/8" shortys, Flowtech X-pipe, MAC Flowpath exhaust, MAC pulleys, 373's, subframes, Eibachs+Tokicos, B+M ripper, FMS Clutch, Zoom Quadrant+cable, 17" CSA Ultra rims, 235/45ZR17 Yokohama AVS S4's, MSD 6A ignition+coil, FMS 9mm wires, Carbed, Naturally Aspirated, and Nasty!
red82gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 09:50 PM   #4
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Ahh, football... Yup, my shoulder kept dislocating the whole time I played football. Until the last time, I damaged some nerves, so that was it for me and football (missed 2 damn State championships too, I'm still bitter.) Anyway, I got arthroscopic surgery and recovery time was minimal. I will say that my shoulder still isn't what it was before any of the disloctaions happened (but part of that was the nerve damage,) but it is a hell of a lot better. Just don't push yourself too fast after sugrey becaus eoyu need to let the muscle and tendons heal up. You need to slowly break down the scar tissue from surgery. My advice is to lift on your own at the rehab facility because as soon as you get back into a football weight room you are going to push-yourself faster then your shoulder can take it (its just the atmosphere.) As far as lifting, I still lift hard 4 days a week now, I just can't do heavy over the head lifting, such as military or jerk press. I never went back to footbal but I have a lot of friend who have and are playing at some of the top colleges with no problems. Good luck. Work hard, but work smart too!

------------------
1997 Thunderbird 4.6L: Dynomax exhaust, Mustang intake tube, SVT Lightning 80mm MAF, Accufab MAF adapter, 7" Auto-physics powerstack filter, ram air, B&M 24,000GVW trans cooler, Custom chip, FMS 9mm wires, many more to come...

No Longer own: 91 LX 5.0L 5 spd Red w/ black interior
2 chamber flowmasters, Bassani off-road X-pipe, MAC cold air induction, Kirban short throw, Heavy duty 3 core radiator, FMS 3:73's, Timing bump to 14 degrees, SRP billet racing pedals, Kenwood sound system
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 06:54 AM   #5
inferno
The Instigator

Quote:
Originally posted by red82gt:
Yeah, I tried the rehab and the muscles in the area aren't really gonna get much stronger and its usually the quick moves and trying to reach out and tackle or shed a block that causes it to pop out, the physics of playing a pass-rush outside backer aren't in my favor. I've talked to my coach about playing fullback-like I did in high school- just because you don't have to reach out and grab unless you miss a block. Looks like I'll be floating on pain killers all summer

Those are the same two positions I play. I want to play outside linebacker this season, but I need to drop down to my playing weight.
inferno is offline   Reply With Quote