MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-26-2001, 10:58 AM   #1
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Unhappy In a world of bolt-ons.....

I know it's good to see the aftermarket taking to our beloved steeds, but whatever happened to created your own car? Anything you can think of and do, so can someone else. What has happened to porting your own heads, making your own headers, etc, etc?
I know this is a fruitless rant, and as I said, I am greatful for the aftermarket now. I just wish there were more things the average Joe could do to his car in his/her garage.
I just feel we've lost touch with our inner Shelby, or Shinoda. Know what I mean?
bigwhitecobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 11:35 AM   #2
Vector
Registered Member

In a world of bolt ons... the Blower is king!
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 11:52 AM   #3
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

If I had an extra set of 99 4.6 Heads laying around, I'd have my grinder out and I'd be porting those bad boys myself. WOuldnt be afraid to put them on my car either.

Guess the newer "High Tech" engines scared alot of the do it yourselfers away.

------------------
64 1/2 "D" code Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 valves, 11:1 comp, 1.7:1 rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, modified 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. GT Apperance pkg. And to many others to list

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. BBK Underdrive pulleys, Flotech off-road H pipe. Hurst T-Handle, 40 series Flowmasters, Steeda Tri-Ax
64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe. Future resto.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 05:04 PM   #4
PGkelly
Registered Member

well, things got complicated with computer controlled electronic fuel injection, confusing emissions controls, all sorts of sensors, MAF. the do-it-yourselfers are the ones who pave the way for the bolt on aftermarket. to be a do-it-yourselfer with most of the technology today you would need a big garage and an even bigger wallet.

------------------
If it ain't broke, make it go faster

AOL: MCVillain45
PGkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 02:36 AM   #5
mustang marty gt

Unhappy

you're right cobra , i used to go junkyard hunting, for thing's i could use or mod , i'm just getting into all this new tech stuff . i still miss my 69 coupe , hell i been looking for the distributer on my 00 toset my point's, joke! i still have a lot to learn on these newer engine's, but i am trying they are great but damm , what it cost's just for 10 extra horse's i think i'm going to have to get a second job just to ,hop it up.well that's the way it is now , i guess .

------------------
Old 09-27-2001, 01:51 PM   #6
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I agree. I did my own port work, and even shaved the heads .03 myself. It's great to have this car running so good and be able to say that I did the work myself. I was just thinking the other day about different things to make for my car. I've already made a few things at work like my shifter cover, shifter knob, and cigarette lighter knob. I'm getting ready to make a stereo bezel and A/C control bezel too.

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 04:16 PM   #7
84LX89GT
Mustangs

I think that with vehicles that they produce today that are more complicated in assembly and function than earlier vehicles "do it yourselfers" have a hard time screwing with stuff that requires much more precision and sequence. Take a 4.6L engine for example. You have to be able to line up the chains (DOHC engines are a nightmare, i've never done one and don't really plan on it either), and it won't seal if you don't torque it in sequence, with new torque to yield bolts, and make sure that you reconnect every sensor and move the 100 other things that are in the way something may be done wrong that will require re-dissambly. Hell, if you don't follow sequence you can warp a head by taking the bolts out. Aluminum may be lighter, but it sure sucks when it comes time to have to re-seal an engine because of the many precautions you have to take. Another thing to consider is that newer vehicles also have alot of power and better matched parts out of the factory and tried and true methods of increasing power aren't really applicable anymore. You can't adjust timing, you have to remove the engine basically to put on headers and using the wrong sealants can affect bolt torque and sealing as well as destroy, for example, oxygen sensors (silicone, etc.).
Basically cars ARE harder to work on and as a result are also harder to tinker with. This, at least, is my opinion.
-I think this is also why kids make those "rice grinders" so stupid is because all they can really do is bolt on intake, exhaust and stickers.

------------------
Mustang Parts Specialties ripped me off, it could happen to you as well.
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
my LX
'89 Mustang GT
my GT

84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote