MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-07-2001, 07:56 PM   #1
1965GTO
Registered Member

Post Anyone using methanol to bypass emissions

Was wondering if I could just bolt on a methanol carb and fuel pump and go pass emissions test. I'm going down there friday and ask. Mileage is suppose to be half that of gasoline. What does methanol cost per gallon? Illinois doesn't inspect anything as long as you pass the test. They put the car on rollers and run it up to about 40mph with something in the tailpipe and test the gas cap. The car must be able to idle at 1300rpm or less.
1965GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 09:03 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Could just add some ISO-HEET to your gas tank dude.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 12:02 AM   #3
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Question

whats ISO-HEET? Does it really work, and how? I"m not up till May, but w/ the side exausts its a WHOLE lot more noticeable!!! *gasp,gasp*
Unless I can stay friends w/ the last guy that did it at Jiffy Lube? Although I know they are REALLY gonna crack down now in Texas...

------------------
1994 GT CONVERTIBLE
TOPLESS IN TEXAS Girls can too's July "Mare of the Month"

Perf. Red,MAC Cold Air Ind.,K&N,Motorsport Underdrive Pulleys,MAC OffRoad H-Pipe,SVO/BORLA Side exaust /Custom Paint Skirts, 3.55, Light bar,Cobra WhiteFace 5 color Ind.Gauges, Cobra Clear Headlights,'96-'97 Taillights,Custom Pony HeadRests.Alum. GT Pedals, Alum.GT Scuff Plates, 12 Disk C.D.,Lotta Chrome
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 01:00 AM   #4
Unit 5302
Registered Member

It's basically isopropyl alcohol. Fuel line antifreeze fer us guys up nort. Yaa, ya just poor a cuple bottles down in da tank dere when ya run it down on gas and no emissions, you betcha.

It's hard on your injection system, but it's cheap, and alcohol produces no negative emissions when burned. It's heavier than gas so adding a couple pints to the gas when you get real low on the tank will get your car to pass with flying colors. Just make sure you fuel up right away afterwards.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 01:06 AM   #5
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Question

Where do you get it, and whats the worst thing it could do to the injection system?

------------------
1994 GT CONVERTIBLE
TOPLESS IN TEXAS Girls can too's July "Mare of the Month"

Perf. Red,MAC Cold Air Ind.,K&N,Motorsport Underdrive Pulleys,MAC OffRoad H-Pipe,SVO/BORLA Side exaust /Custom Paint Skirts, 3.55, Light bar,Cobra WhiteFace 5 color Ind.Gauges, Cobra Clear Headlights,'96-'97 Taillights,Custom Pony HeadRests.Alum. GT Pedals, Alum.GT Scuff Plates, 12 Disk C.D.,Lotta Chrome
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 04:16 AM   #6
PKRWUD

****!! Hunt and peck for 20 minutes and it loses my reply. I need to learn how to type.

65 goat-
If methanol conversions are legal in your state, do it. Otherwise, your sister had better be married to the tech giving the test. We run methanol in our Sprint car, and the exhaust will burn your eyes out and peel the lining from your lungs. If you think for a minute that no one would notice, you're wrong. Everyone within 100 yards of your car will know.

Topless (that really is a great name)-
Alcohol can and will damage your regulator and destroy your injectors unless you are very, very careful. If you follow Units suggestion, which, by the way, is very clever, you will be walking a very, very fine line between success and failure. Success will be passing the emissions tests, and failure will be a damaged fuel system. Alcohol is very hard on plastics and rubber, and will eat up your injectors unless it is flushed right away. That is why you will always see seperate gasoline fuel system parts and alcohol fuel system parts. Well, that and the fact that it takes twice as much alcohol as it does gasoline to ignite the mixture. That's why alcohol parts are so damn big! FYI: a gasoline Holley 750 on a dirt track car typically runs 85 jets, whereas the same setup running alcohol requires 160 jets! Anyway, if you decide to attempt this, PLEASE make sure you stop at the very first gas station you come to, after the test, and fill it up with the LOWEST octane gas they have. This will help compensate for the octane increase the alcohol creates, and will allow the alcohol to burn out quicker.

Or, you could always call that relative in Florida and register your Mustang there. You'd be done with emissions testing for good! (doesn't everyone have a grandparent in Florida?)

Take care,
-Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: Peckerwoods Pit Stop

My teams site: Jim Porter Racing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN.
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 07:53 AM   #7
lx mike
Undescribable

Quote:
Or, you could always call that relative in Florida and register your Mustang there. You'd be done with emissions testing for good! (doesn't everyone have a grandparent in Florida?)
1-800-ASK-Mike

i'm not a grandparent, but how about a cousin?

------------------
Mike's LX
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote