MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-02-2001, 09:44 AM   #1
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Red face Deliverance

I watched Deliverance for the first time last night... interesting. A friend of mine made me watch it. Kinda scary that, yes, there are people like that around.... poor banjo kid...
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 10:09 AM   #2
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Talking

what about poor ned beaty squeal like a pig disgusting.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 04:42 PM   #3
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

I've still never seen it!
Old 12-02-2001, 06:59 PM   #4
exgmguy
Registered Member

you got a purdy mouth!!!!

1989 Mustang notchback
Warmed up 306 with a Procharger.
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 09:21 PM   #5
Red514LX
Registered Member

I too saw that movie for the 1st time last night!! I had always heard about it but dang....I've never seen so many ugly people in my entire life.

I will NEVER go into the woods unarmed again.
Old 12-02-2001, 09:38 PM   #6
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Red514LX
I too saw that movie for the 1st time last night!! I had always heard about it but dang....I've never seen so many ugly people in my entire life.

I will NEVER go into the woods unarmed again.
LOL! You got that right (at least not in the appalachian mts).

It came on TBS (I think), but I watched a movie rental (uncut) instead. I know they had to cut out some scenes for the basic cable channel (uuummm, like the, um, "squeal like a pig" and "you gotta purdy mouth" parts). Sick........

Would any of you have told the truth to the authorities in such a situation???
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 09:57 PM   #7
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Thumbs up

I'm not a movie connoisseur but I know a classic when I see it and Deliverance is a classic for many reasons and in many ways.

The ominous, slow-building tension as the city boys find themselves feeling awkward, confused and resentful in the back-country culture. The famous 'dueling banjos' scene, the humiliation of 'Bobby Trippe' (Ned Beatty) the raw violence, the whitewater scenes, even the climax and the epilog (don't want to spoil it for those who may want to rent this gem) all combine to make a gripping film that's unforgettable because it's done in a realistic, minimalist style that taps into our most primal fears. Ordinary people caught up in a very threatening and dangerous situation and how they respond. Scary, but real.

Painstakingly detailed, too. Watch the scene at the gas station where Ned Beatty is ribbing the old guy about the way he wears his hat, and the fella takes off his hat, looks at it, then deadpans, "You don't know a damn thing". Classic.

Of course, it probably set Georgia tourism back quite a bit and even now, just saying 'Deliverance' when refering to an 'inbred'-type person is usually enough to make the point.
That's how big an influence this film has had on popular culture. How many films can say that after almost 30 years? Not many.

BTW: Everybody knows the banjo tune 'Deliverance' even now, 29 years after the film was released but it was never even nominated for an Oscar. The Theme from The Poseidon Adventure won the musical Oscar for 1973. So much for the value of an Oscar.

Trivia Note: James Dickey, the man who wrote the book 'Deliverance' was based on, appears in a noticeable role as the Sheriff, at the end of the movie. Cool.

Warning: Deliverance is really a 'guy' movie. Women might enjoy it but it's 100% male-oriented, just about no women appear in the film until the very end (and then only briefly) and it's aimed at the male psyche.

Four Stars, all the way!
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 02:56 AM   #8
PKRWUD

Completely agree! I have the DVD. It was the second DVD I bought after getting my player a year ago! That movie is even better in widescreen! Great flick. Almost like a rite of passage, in a way. I can't imagine it on broadcast TV.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 03:10 AM   #9
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

Damn...sounds pretty awesome....might have to make my girlfriend watch that with me sometime....hehe...she'd LOVE that....I'll just tell her that it's an action movie with a love story behind it.....only until the nasty shows up will she realize I was filling her full of bs.....hehe...I'm such a clever lad....
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 03:24 AM   #10
69fastback
IRAQ VET

Damn i better rent that movie when i get home. For some reason i don't ever even remember hearing about it
91 GT
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote