MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-03-2001, 09:01 PM   #1
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

Cool A/c

I have a leaky AC compressor. How do I know this? I had the freon die put into my AC systema few months ago because I knew that I have a leak somewhere. Well, I ran the black light over the engine tonight and low and behold, the darn compressor is bad. It is leaking right out of the top.

The question that I have is "How do you replace it?" I have 2 compressors sitting in my garage so I don't have to buy one. I can replace the compressor physically, that is not the problem. It what other stuff do I need to do? Do I need to get new O-rings? What about the AC oil stuff? Is there any things that I need to konw about. AC's and rebuilding trany's are the only two areas of a car that I know nothing about!

Also, out of the two compressors one is brand new and the other is just slightly used. How do I know which one I should put on? Duh, the new one but which is which? There ain't any markings on it, no date or anything like that. One of the compressors's pully spins very freely and the other has a little bit of resistance to it if that helps.

I don't have any more freon in my AC system so I won't have to discharge the gas. I will need to get some more in when I am done though.

Thanks for yalls help....
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 09:48 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

If you replace the compressor yourself, you'll still have to take it to a shop to get it evacuated and recharged. The auto supply won't sell refrigerant to anyone except a licensed AC technician due to environmental laws. I used to do some of my own AC work, but can't legally get the refrigerant any more. Replace the dryer while you're at it and the take it somewhere for the charge. Tell them what you did so they'll put an oil charge in as well.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 11:44 PM   #3
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

just get rid of it, it robs HP.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 12:50 AM   #4
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

and it's HEAVY!!!
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 11:42 AM   #5
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

well...I would LOVE to get rid of it but..... I LIVE IN HOUSTON!!! That is just not an option. AC in Texas is like having an engine is your car.
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote