MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-21-2002, 01:41 PM   #1
silverv6
Registered Member

Question Is this true?

Well yesterday a friend of mine told me I wasnt goin to pass my smog test because of what I did to my filter air box.

What I did was I put a K&N filter and I took the air silincer off then I cut the filter box out and I looks like a cold air intake well do you know what im talking about I mean the way I cut my filter box? Ok well they told me I woulnt pass the smog test just like guys that put cold air intakes dont pass them also that they have to put back the stock air boxes. Well is this true ?

18"spoked rims with lowprofile tires
K&N filter<<cut filter box out
true dual exaust two 2chamber flowmasters
GT fog lights
Euro tail lights
silverv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 02:20 PM   #2
87 GT MUSTANG
Registered Member

Default smog

i have a k&n filter in my 87 gt and i passed my testing fine but that is a totally different engine, but with the way new cars are i think you should have no problem if my old girl can pass
Old 03-21-2002, 06:32 PM   #3
PKRWUD

It's going to depend on the guy that tests it. In California, it's against the law to make any modifications that are not approved by the California Air Resource Board (CARB). If the guy who does the visual wants to, he can fail you. Your options are to either replace what you have removed and/or modified with a stock replacement, or purchase an aftermarket kit that has a CARB E.O. (Executive Order). Most cold air kits are available with a CARB E.O., but you must place the CARB E.O. sticker that comes with it in the engine compartment, where the test person can see it. It's your job to show him it's legal, not his job to try and find the E.O. number for you. If you decide to purchase a cold air kit, look for one that claims it is 50 state legal.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 07:38 PM   #4
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

It should not affect the sniffer results at all, so PKRWUD is right - depends on if they notice it in the visual and if they care.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote