MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-26-2002, 07:32 PM   #1
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Unhappy Bad news from the doc.

My 5yr old niece Adriauna was rushed to the hospital last night. She had been running a high temperature, was throwing up, had headaches, and she said her back hurt.

My sister called my mom at about 2:30 to tell her that Adriauna was very sick and acting like she was out in space, and my mom told Karla (my sister) that she'd meet her at Mercy hospital. Upon arrival Adriauna was unresponsive to stimulus and was obviously very sick. They gave her morphine and a spinal tap. The nurse reported that the fluid was "cloudy." Shortly thereafter Adriauna was diagnosed with a severe case of spinal mengitis, or monoccocial (sp?) mengitis stemming from the bacterial infection, not the viral type. They rushed her to childrens hospital and started IV's immediately. 10-20% of patients with the bacterial form of mengitis die even with treatment, and the disease can be fatal as quickly as 2 hrs after the onset of severe symptoms. It's quite dangerous and the dept of health and human safety must be notified of any confirmed cases.

Auna woke up after IV's were administered and asked if she was a good girl if they could rent 2 movies when they went home. It was a relief that she was back and fighting. The doctors said she is doing well at this point, but she will spend at least the next 7-10 days in the hospital on IV's and the next 24hrs she will continue to be mildly contagious. Until that time, she will also remain in intensive care.

I bought her a new picture book (60's Muscle Cars, she's a car nut ) and I'll be visiting her tomorrow after they give the clear that the contagious period is over.

I have been exposed to the disease as have others in my family. I just hope Auna comes through okay and nobody else comes down with it. The numbers are not good as you can see above.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 07:35 PM   #2
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Damn, that sucks. It's always a shame when little kids have to deal with BS like that. I'll remember your family in my prayers.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 07:40 PM   #3
lysacat
Registered Member

Your neice and family will be in my prayers. Hope all goes well. Kids are very resillient. Hopefully she'll bounce right back. Good luck.
Old 05-26-2002, 08:08 PM   #4
Five0
Registered Member

Hey unit, I had that when I was an infant and I recovered from it but I had seizures when I was 5 years old that the doctors said it was because of the meningitis I had as a baby. I did get better but I almost died several times. It’s a nasty illness.
I hope everything goes well.

We’ll all be praying for you and your family.
RHC Member #44
nochevy@hotmail.com

1991 Mustang LX
Dart iron eagle block, 4340 28oz 347 crank, 4340 h-beam rods, probe ultra light pistons canfield heads “race ported by Brent Frazier”, solid roller cam and lifters “custom grind”, kooks 1 7/8" race headers, and much more.

Engine built by Brent Frazier.
Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 08:27 PM   #5
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Sorry to hear that Unit. I know your not really a strong believer (DOnt take offense) but I'll say a prayer for her tonight. Hope everythings uphill from here for her.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 08:56 PM   #6
Unit 5302
Registered Member

No offense taken.

Kinda stinks, I don't know how to get ahold of anybody down there. I'd really like an update.

Here's Adriauna.

Old 05-26-2002, 09:04 PM   #7
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

That really sucks, Unit. I really hope she recovers fully and doesn't have any more serious problems. I'm sure everything will turn out just fine. Good luck, and keep us posted.
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 09:36 PM   #8
Five0
Registered Member

She's cute, I hope every thing works out for the best.
I hate hearing about things like that, especially when it is about kids. I kind of have a soft spot for kids.
RHC Member #44
nochevy@hotmail.com

1991 Mustang LX
Dart iron eagle block, 4340 28oz 347 crank, 4340 h-beam rods, probe ultra light pistons canfield heads “race ported by Brent Frazier”, solid roller cam and lifters “custom grind”, kooks 1 7/8" race headers, and much more.

Engine built by Brent Frazier.
Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 10:17 PM   #9
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

dude, this totaly sucks. My prayers are with you

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 12:47 AM   #10
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

I'm sorry to hear this, it hurts the most when children have to go through such things!
Old 05-27-2002, 01:10 AM   #11
Ponygirl67
Registered Member

Unit...sorry to hear about your neice...kids are tough and sounds like she is doing better, she is SO cute!!! Will say a prayer for her and hope all goes well, keep us posted.

Mare of the Month-April 2002
Ponygirl67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 01:20 AM   #12
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I got the real scoop from my dad when they got back from the hospital. My mom made it seem a lot better than it is.

Adriauna will be having a re-evaluation tomorrow when they decide if she can be moved from intensive care, and they get a better idea of how the treatment is going. She is conscious, has the ability to move her feet and legs, but she has very little grip or strength. She cannot focus her eyes (they drift apart), and has a very hard time concentrating. My dad said she wouldn't be able to look at the pictures in the book I got for her unless she gets a lot better. He put it bluntly, which I appreciate, rather than my mom's flowery picture painting. Adriauna is a very sick little girl right now. Obviously, I'm more concerned than I was at this point, but it's better for me to know the real deal.

Thanks for all the kind words. I'm pretty tired so I'm gonna hit the sack. I'll check in tomorrow and let you all know how it's going.
Old 05-27-2002, 01:52 AM   #13
2000stanggirl
Registered Member

Unit, I am so sorry to hear about Adriauna. I can tell you after spending 4 years in and out of pediatric intensive care with my son, these kiddos are very tough. Their little bodies and minds can endure far more than we adults can. It is important for the adults around her to keep their chins up, and keep their worry to a minimum around her. Lots and lots of love, constant encouragement and familar things (dolls, teddy bears, etc.) will help her the most. She has a long road of recovery ahead of her.

My 4 1/2 year old son has been resusitated over 80 times, endured 24 surgeries, and been so near death too many times to count. He has taught my that kids can bear tremendous loads, and not be any worse for the wear.

Adriauna is most certainly in my prayers. Please keep us updated.

2000 Performance Red Mustang GT

Current Mods:
Flowmaster Catback
MAC Cold Air Induction w/ K&N
March U/D Pulleys
Hypertech Power Programmer III
17X9 Cobra R Rims
White Face Gauges
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter

Future Mods:
3.73's or 4.10's?
O/R X-pipe,
Lowering springs
maybe even a NOSzel kit?!?!?

The Stang
2000stanggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 02:26 AM   #14
srv1
Get down.....

Unhappy :(

Unit. very sorry to hear about her. its going to be very rough, but hope things work out for the best. the best things you can do for here is be by her side and educate yourself on this disease. you may find answers to your questions and learn what and what not to do in case of a emergency arrives. educate and be by her side.

hope she gets better so she can read that book. i am not religous at all, but i believe she can and will get better! i hope it all works out.
Old 05-27-2002, 09:24 AM   #15
PKRWUD

Unhappy

I heard about this last night, Kell, and I feel terrible about it. I understand how close you both are, and I know this has to be as hard as life gets. She is a beautiful girl, and you both will be in my thoughts. I sincerely wish you nothing but the very best, Kell, and I hope things turn around!

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 09:37 AM   #16
1fastchick
Registered Member

My prayers are with her you and your family. JUst hang in there and don't show your real concern around here when you get to see her. If the book has a nice picture on the front might still be worth it to put it in the room.
Take care of yourself.

www.cycleforums.com

1968 Fastback "Gidget"
1fastchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 10:33 AM   #17
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Smile Get Well, Adriauna!

Kell:

This was the first thread I saw when I logged into MW this holiday morning and it was a bit of a shock. I'm so sorry this misfortune has hit your family and especially that bright, beautiful little child.

Yes, it's bad news alright but little Adriauna seems to be fighting back and I trust she has excellent medical care. Theological differences aside, she's the beneficiary of many, many prayers, which is no small thing.

Your dad was right to be honest and realistic with you but I'm sure your mom was just reflecting her hopes for Adriauna. Understandable.

Hang in there Kell, do what you can to comfort the child and stay positive as much as reality allows.

We all wish Adrianua the very best in her fight. Although we don't know her personally you know we're all rooting for this brave little girl and again, our prayers are with her.

May she be well again, soon.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 11:11 AM   #18
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Unhappy Keepin' the Faith....

Kell,
I'm sorry I didn''t respond till now...although Im VERY glad I got to talk to ya last night. I hope and pray that ya'll notice some sort of improvement in Aunna today! Shes such a doll, and I cant imagine what it would be like to watch my own go thru something like that!
Be confidant that you have EVERYONES thoughts and Prayers here on MW....and we will all be pullin for her...
BTW: I love the pic of you and her that you have in front of the pc...do ya know which one I'm talking about???? You oughtta post it. If you dont know which one i'm talking about, lemme know, i'll send it to ya!!!!

Best of luck to you and your family and Please keep us updated as to how things progress!!!!!
Take care.
Love ya, Christine

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 01:30 PM   #19
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

I am very sorry to hear about that Kell. I wish your neice goodluck and hopefully she will pull out just fine

Later,
Nick
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 04:32 PM   #20
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Default Update

Well, I just got back from the hospital. I drove her boyfriend, Ben down there. Karla's obviously exhausted, and so is Adriauna's father, Leo.

Karla, Ben, and I went out to grab some subway and wound up getting a little turned around, but it was good for Karla to be outside for a while on the nicest day we've had all year. It's about 77-78 with blue skies, sunshine, and a very light breeze out. Just beautiful.

Adriauna was sleeping when we got there, but she woke up for a while. She's very groggy, and they have her on a a couple pain relievers, liquids, and antibiotics. She can focus her eyes and she's feeling better because she's a lot more ticked off today, LOL.

Her arm has an IV going into it that winds all the way up into her chest, and of course, her arm is very bruised around the area the IV goes in. It's bothering her quite a bit, but she's doing a lot better. The doctors expect her to make a full recovery, her hearing, eyesight, and sense of touch are all okay. She never had any seizures, and the doctors are pleased because of that. They said she will have to remain in the hospital for at least 10 days as her infection was quite severe and her antibiotics are delivered through the IV. When I went to see her, they had transferred her out of intensive care and into a normal room. She got her first real meal today for lunch. Grilled cheese. That little girl does love cheese. Hehe.

I'm pretty exhausted too. Being in a hospital and seeing her like that was very draining. Thanks for the posts everybody!