MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Poll: Do you like old abandoned buildings?
Poll Options
Do you like old abandoned buildings?

Old 07-16-2002, 04:39 PM   #1
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Thumbs up Cool site

I am a fan of abandoned buildings... Weird as it may sound, they just fascinate me. I once lived for two years in an abandoned resort in Upstate NY called Grossingers. I had the run of the entire place, it was about 2,000 acres of buildings, tunnels, ski lodges, skating rinks, auditoriums, swimming pools, sub basements, you name it. And we were the only ones living there. I would explore it nightly alone with a flashlight. I hear it's still there, and I'm gonna take a trip up to see it. (i still have all the keys!! ) Anyways, I found this site the other night, and a few other sites and thought I would share if you were into that kind of stuff too.
http://www.mountainsanatorium.net/

http://www.darkpassage.com/

if you go to the links section, you can find many more such sites. Enjoy! I did!
Old 07-16-2002, 04:54 PM   #2
PKRWUD

I'll check out the sites later when I have a little more time, but I understand your fascination. When I was a kid, we used to go to Fisher's Island, off the coast of Conn., every Memorial day weekend. It was an off shore battery during WWII, and has tons of underground military "stuff" that has been long since abandoned. Very cool.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 05:38 PM   #3
7up
Registered Member

Those buildings on the dark passage site were cool. I have always been fascinated with old buildings. I went to Europe in October and it was absolutley amazing. SO many old, cool an abandoned buildings.
Ricer Hater's Club-member #16
7up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 06:41 PM   #4
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Question Abandoned buildings

Have you ever seen 'The Shining' with Jack Nicholson?

Based on a book by Stephen King.

You could probably relate.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 06:59 PM   #5
gt lee

I just love old buildings that have a meaning behind them. The links were really cool. Will have to check out more.
Mr 5 0 The Shining...great movie
Need to watch The Others...really cool
Odie
Old 07-16-2002, 08:28 PM   #6
joe4speed

Default Re: Abandoned buildings

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr 5 0
Have you ever seen 'The Shining' with Jack Nicholson?

Based on a book by Stephen King.

You could probably relate.
oh yeahhh it was just like that, only way bigger... it was spread over MILES and MILES!!! I wish I could find an arial photograph.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:03 PM   #7
95mustanggt
Registered Member

I always thought stuff like that was cool. In my hometown there was an old abondoned School. At night me and a bunch of guys (I was in grade 7 or 8) explored many times. It was way erie and totally cool. I almost felt like an Indiana Jones. Of course this was a little mining town in Canada so I have to laugh at my self now, but back then it was cool.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 09:47 PM   #8
1BAD302
Registered Member

interesting Fetish

Rice Haters club member #29

Stereo - 2/1000watt 12" MTX subs; Kenwood 1000watt amp; Pioneer 4/ 50watt deck
1BAD302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 10:25 PM   #9
mean81GT
Registered Member

joe,
as far as i know, the buildings are still there (grossingers). i think they reopened. i play golf there probably 3 or 4 times a year and the resort is open. i don['tr know if they are the same buildings as you lived in, but we are definitely talking about the same place. (monticello, right?)Exit 105 off of 17.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:58 PM   #10
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

joe, you are wierd bud, heheh, j/k, cya. marty

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 11:11 PM   #11
joe4speed

Quote:
Originally posted by mean81GT
joe,
as far as i know, the buildings are still there (grossingers). i think they reopened. i play golf there probably 3 or 4 times a year and the resort is open. i don['tr know if they are the same buildings as you lived in, but we are definitely talking about the same place. (monticello, right?)Exit 105 off of 17.

Hmmmm I can't remember what exit it is, but it's in Liberty not Monticello. Maybe that's the Concord. The golf course always has stayed open there, they used to play the NY state open there. http://www.grossingergolf.net/
BUUUTTTTT... you have to drive past alot of the buildings on your way to the golf course... Next time you go golfing, go to Grossingers and snap some pics for me!!!! I'll reimburse you for film and all that! It's an awesome course, you'll really like playing it.

Cool... wish I lived closer for a road trip!!!
Old 07-16-2002, 11:40 PM   #12
rbatson

Reminded me of The Shining, as well. Sounded cool until I checked out that link you gave.. man, that is just creepy heeh

We had some tall thin building on Topsail Island that were supposidely lookout towers left from the civil war. They were right on the ocean dunes, they were 3 floors high and had tall ceilings. A bunch of us hung out in those a time or two, when growing up. They were kinda dangerous, we had to stand on shoulders to get up to the different floors. I don't think they are there anymore.
Old 07-17-2002, 12:05 AM   #13
joe4speed

here's another...

www.easternstate.org

cool 360 degree views, go to "online tour"
Old 07-17-2002, 09:22 PM   #14
lysacat
Registered Member

Too cool. I love stuff like that. One of my hobbies is to travel around the state (out in the country) and take pictures of old abandoned barns and gas stations and such, so this is right up my alley. Thanks. C-ya, Melisa
Old 07-17-2002, 10:07 PM   #15
mean81GT
Registered Member

joe, you might be right. I'm not sure what buildings exactly you're talking about.I have been there twice this year so far, i love all the courses up there. the Monster especially, i can show off the long ball. Yeah it's exit 105, lake kiamesha, and then route 53 (?) i think. it takes you up towards liberty which is only like 4 miles past monticello, coming from middletown where i originate.

if i get back up there this year i snap off a roll on the digital, and send em too ya.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:08 PM   #16
mean81GT
Registered Member

oh, and the billboards for Grossingers go all the way up 17 from like Bloomingburg, toting "Gourmet Golf, Championship Food"
Old 07-17-2002, 11:15 PM   #17
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Cool VERY COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Joe!
HOW COOL! One time when I was 'younger'(a long, long time ago!) I was on a hunting trip w/ some friends in Mississippi...(I actually shot at something...not sure what it was!) But anyways.. we decided to go scouring through the woods, and came across an OLD deserted wooden house. We went rummaging thru it, and found all kinds of cool stuff. Old newspaper clippings from the 40's, Perscription bottles and just creepy old stuff....it was REALLY COOL!
Funny, I havent thought of that in YEARS till you posted this thread...I've always had a facination with things like that!
TOO COOL! TNT

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 04:41 AM   #18
joe4speed

Quote:
Originally posted by mean81GT
if i get back up there this year i snap off a roll on the digital, and send em too ya.
Oh man.. PLEASE do!! I would love to see what's going on there! That would really be awesome!!!
Old 07-18-2002, 04:48 AM   #19
joe4speed

Oh and, damn, I just looked... the "Monster" golf course IS at The Concord... not Grossingers.
It would be worth the trip to play Grossingers though...I guess it's only 5 more exits down... Grossingers is exit 100, Concord is 105. I didn't think they were that close!
Old 07-18-2002, 02:12 PM   #20
mean81GT
Registered Member

yeah when i referred to playing those courses, i meant all of the ones in that area. they are all so close together they are often advertised together. grossinger's and the concord are two different resorts, but are within a few miles of each other.