MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-18-2002, 09:38 AM   #1
2000stanggirl
Registered Member

Default My angel turns 5!!!

My son's birthday is tomorrow. He technically turns five 16 minutes after midnite tonite. This is my tribute to him.

On this day, five years ago, I began a journey that was never planned. Brayden entered this world 3 months too soon, with little more than an angel on his shoulder. The doctors didn’t give much hope for this tiny fallen bird. Thanks to an army of angels, his first birthday rolled around. He was still a very sick little boy, but always happy, and had finally learned to smile. Three years ago we celebrated a second birthday with bittersweet emotions. Again, the doctors were not holding much hope that he would survive much longer. He was getting increasingly more ill as days went by. By this time, most of his tiny organs were failing. The army of Angels stepped in once again, and pulled him to a third birthday! This was celebrated with far more hope and joy than the previous birthdays. Although still ill, he was getting stronger, and there was light at the end of the tunnel. Last year there was nothing but joy and pride as we celebrated this little miracle’s fourth birthday. He had come farther than anyone had even dared to expect. He was beginning to walk, just begun to talk, and was even eating orally! He was no longer on oxygen, he no longer had tubes and wires connected to him all of the time. It was as if he had arisen one bright morning, and decided, today is the day I get better. This birthday, his fifth, is met with nothing but awe, pride, and extreme happiness. He attends school with his able-bodied peers, he walks with assistance, he is learning independence, even getting upset when mom steps in to help with out being requested! He is getting stronger physically, and growing bigger every day.

When I stop and remember those bleak moments, it’s hard to accept that he is what he is today. Some credit me with his incredible survival; however, I must credit only two people. Brayden and the Good Lord. Brayden would not have survived any of his battles had it not been for his amazing will to live. At times when everyone else had given up, and expected the worst to happen, he always pulled through with a smile on his face. He has taught me the real meaning of life. If only we, as adults, could be as strong as this fragile little child, this world would be a much different place.

As I look at Brayden now, I see so many things. He’s no longer an infant. He is a little man, a warrior of sorts and has the battle scars to prove it. He goes about his daily life without a worry in the world. He doesn’t dwell on what he’s been through, and he looks forward to his daily therapies with enthusiasm. He loves school, making friends, and even spending time with his big brother. I always have to chuckle to myself when I find myself scolding the boys for fighting…who would have thought that the day would come that I would have to scold Brayden for something so typical and normal?? He is certainly growing into quite a mischievous little man, and for that I am so very thankful.

For the first time in his short little life, I am not afraid to have hope and dreams for him. I can actually look into the future and see him there. Not only is he there, but he is there as an independent, fully functional adult with a family of his own. I cannot put into words how that warms my heart. He’s come a long way, and he proudly marches onward, head held high, to the next battle he must fight. Happy fifth birthday, my little hero. Mommy loves you.
2000stanggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 10:19 AM   #2
PKRWUD

That really is wonderful news! He will always be the toughest little guy I've ever heard of! Tell him "Peckerwood" in California wishes him the best.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 11:54 AM   #3
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Hopefully he only gets better from here. He sounds like one hell of a human being.

He has led an inspiring life,

Later,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 11:58 AM   #4
induction
The Brit!

Wow, that touched my heart and brought back so many memories. Give the big guy a giant hug from his angel sister Kelsie ( my lil girl ) Kelsie just turned Nine on the 15 of September, She too arrived here at one pound sixteen oz. , three months early. All I can say is take all the pictures you can every day of him no matter what he's doing . It will amaze you how fast he grows both inside and out , It will also keep mommie strong.
Thanks for sharing your story with us all please keep us posted . on his adventures.
April Mare of the Month RiceHatersClub Member #27
induction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 02:12 PM   #5
2000stanggirl
Registered Member

Thank you for the birthday wishes for Brayden. I am printing them out to put in his scrapbook. Someday he will be amazed to find out he is known world wide. LOL

Induction...wow. Happy belated birthday to Kelsie!! She was even tinier than Brayden at birth. It seems these little ones are the fiestiest.

Tiny Feet, Big Steps
Old 09-18-2002, 02:53 PM   #6
induction
The Brit!

Yes they are very tough in some cases. I bet he is going to get great grades in school with you as a teammate!!! I noticed that Brayden had almost the same glasses as Kelsie How cool . Did he have any surgerys as an infant?( Kelsie had three in her first four days at Loma Linda University Med Center.) And a eye surg. at the age of four.

She loves music too I think it helped her alot when times got a little tough for her .
Old 09-18-2002, 03:42 PM   #7
lysacat
Registered Member

Go Brayden!! Happy Birthday.
Raymond just had his 11th birthday in July.
I've attached a picture of him now.
These kids have been down a long, hard road.
C-ya, Melisa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg raymond helping dad aug 2002 01.jpg (100.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 09-18-2002, 03:50 PM   #8
2000stanggirl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by induction
Yes they are very tough in some cases. I bet he is going to get great grades in school with you as a teammate!!! I noticed that Brayden had almost the same glasses as Kelsie How cool . Did he have any surgerys as an infant?( Kelsie had three in her first four days at Loma Linda University Med Center.) And a eye surg. at the age of four.

She loves music too I think it helped her alot when times got a little tough for her .
Brayden has had 23 surgeries, and will be going in for 24, 25, and 26 fairly soon. We are actually awaiting eye surgery also!

I have found that Brayden is more of the quiet, artistic type...not that he draws all that well, but he really enjoys music and coloring/painting/drawing. He loves to "read" books, even tho he can barely see them. LOL
Below is a picture of him "reading" his favorite magazine in his favorite place! Now if I could just get him to actually USE the toliet, and not diapers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg travis and brayden 006.jpg (395.9 KB, 25 views)
Old 09-18-2002, 03:52 PM   #9
2000stanggirl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lysacat
Go Brayden!! Happy Birthday.
Raymond just had his 11th birthday in July.
I've attached a picture of him now.
These kids have been down a long, hard road.
C-ya, Melisa
Raymond is a real cutie!! Happy belated Birthday to him also!!
Old 09-18-2002, 03:53 PM   #10
induction
The Brit!

Heres a pic ture of Kelsie and her keyboard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kelsie2.jpg (222.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 09-18-2002, 04:35 PM   #11
srv1
Get down.....

Talking

i guess you can call Brayden a "little stinker" from that pic! that is funny!
Old 09-19-2002, 12:53 AM   #12
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

he is one of god's little angel's, i still pray for him, alway's will, people need to look at him as an example of a miracle, may jesus alway's have his hand on that young man's shoulder.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote