MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-24-2002, 01:43 AM   #1
The Deuce
Registered Member

Default CHP Volvo?

I was playing hookie from work today and coming back from Anahiem I swear I saw an s40 or so Volvo with a light bar on it. I know for sure it was CHP, but I'm not 100% sure it was a Volvo. Definatly a foriegn sedan, very scary.

Maybe someone with a little free time can look this one up. Wish it was on my side, I'd have gotten a picture.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 12:30 PM   #2
jj_jonathon
Trisket

ive never heard of it and the CHP site doesnt list vehicles used...so i sent them an email for information and asked if they use volvos...should hear back from them within a day or two

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
jj_jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 12:56 PM   #3
93calcobra
Registered Member

i entered my stang in a car show on sunday that is hosted by chp at there acadamy in west sacramento had about thousand entries good turnout. it's true they do exist, chp had a patrol car line up from past to present and i saw two volvo's that were service vehicles 90's models, i also saw which i did not know they used in the 70's was a late 70's camaro obviously not in service but still had the full police package.
2003 lincoln ls
93calcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 07:39 PM   #4
moc
Registered Member

Question You no

Ford own's VOLVO ,,right
05/04/09
(Hangar Queen)
SMOKEM UP
moc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 12:54 AM   #5
PKRWUD

I got the details straight from a CHP Sergeant at Hawaii Racing when he was in getting parts for his ski boat, and I was picking up my cat-back.

3 years ago, the CHP took delivery of twenty something Volvo's to use as a test platform to see if they would be a viable vehicle to switch to. The L.A. County Sheriff's Dept., and some law enforcement organization in Michigan, are the only two law enforcement agencies in the entire country that test new vehicles for their performance characteristics, and the rest of the country relies on what their opinions were. Well, they've never entertained the idea of using a Volvo, so Volvo agreed to gift the CHP twenty something cars a few years ago, so they could decide for themselves. 13 of them were totalled in the first month because the officers had such a hard time adapting to high speed pursuits in a FWD vehicle. No one really liked them, either, so they thanked Volvo, but said "no thanks". I thought they were all wrecked by now, but if you saw one, then there is at least one left in service.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2002, 06:43 AM   #6
jj_jonathon
Trisket

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD
I got the details straight from a CHP Sergeant at Hawaii Racing when he was in getting parts for his ski boat, and I was picking up my cat-back.

3 years ago, the CHP took delivery of twenty something Volvo's to use as a test platform to see if they would be a viable vehicle to switch to. The L.A. County Sheriff's Dept., and some law enforcement organization in Michigan, are the only two law enforcement agencies in the entire country that test new vehicles for their performance characteristics, and the rest of the country relies on what their opinions were. Well, they've never entertained the idea of using a Volvo, so Volvo agreed to gift the CHP twenty something cars a few years ago, so they could decide for themselves. 13 of them were totalled in the first month because the officers had such a hard time adapting to high speed pursuits in a FWD vehicle. No one really liked them, either, so they thanked Volvo, but said "no thanks". I thought they were all wrecked by now, but if you saw one, then there is at least one left in service.

Take care,
~Chris

just goes to show you how safe a volvo is....even the police can crash em in high speed pursuits and probably walk away from it with nothing too major....

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Old 10-30-2002, 01:52 AM   #7
jj_jonathon
Trisket

I know this is a few days old now, but it just goes to show you how fast the CHP Public Affairs Dept. works...lol

This exactly what was emailed to me today:

Quote:
About six years ago, the CHP bought ten Volvo's on a trial basis to use as enforcement vehicles. We currently have three or four left in the state.

Office of Public Affairs
Those are the numbers. This is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Notice how they failed to let me know about a site which contains all of the currently used CHP vehicles....keep your eyes open

-Jonathon

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics