MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Poll: What Headlight is best?
Poll Options
What Headlight is best?

Old 02-12-2003, 10:50 PM   #1
bigbandjohn
Registered Member

Default Headlights!!!!!

Hey everyone.

I was shopping for headlights for my 66 Mustang, and I ran into a dillemma. I made a decision, but I want to see if I did the right thing.

My concern is functionality and safety. So I had pre-decided that I would install Halogen headlights. I had a choice of 3.... Regular($8), Extra Bright ($14, longer range, longer life, don't ask me how), and Blue ($17 the most expensive).

What is the best for regular driving at night? Are the extra-bright that much better? Other than for showoffs of color, do you gain anything with Blue?

Then again, maybe I'm totally nuts and should buy the same type that was original in it (standard incadescent - $3).

Opinions?
bigbandjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 11:00 PM   #2
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

A friend of mine had some blue lights in his Ranger. It was like driving by moonlight, it sucked.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 01:06 AM   #3
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

A friend of mine has the blue headlights in his Z34. They are a lot brighter then the stock ones and are easier on the eyes at night with less straining. I'm not sure how the cops will like them though, cause anything other then white or yellow in the forward facing direction is illegal. I run the extra bright ones in my car are a much better headlight then the original and still retain legality.

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 01:38 AM   #4
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

I like the regular old halogens

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 07:22 AM   #5
bigbandjohn
Registered Member

I'll ammend my initial statement. All these headlights are street legal, according to the manufacturer.
bigbandjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 08:04 AM   #6
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

How about the Xenon bulbs that are in the Lexus and BMW's? Those things are like having your own personal sun for headlights. I know for sure they make them for the foxes and up, I'm not sure about your year...
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 11:02 AM   #7
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigbandjohn
I'll ammend my initial statement. All these headlights are street legal, according to the manufacturer.
The manufacture can state anything, to help boast sales. Any type of blue lights on a civilian vehicle is illegal. Anything BUT white or yellow and sometimes green in the forward facing position is illegal. Just depends on how strict the law is in your parts.

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 12:39 AM   #8
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

I got the "cool blue" halogen ones. They don't look blue (and I don't want blue), but they are really white and bright at night (hey that rhymes) Okay, check this out:

Hear my plight,
See those lights,
Those that are really white and bright at night,
So that all may have sight,
And in turn, might
to race and win the fight at night.
You know I'm right.

Okay, back to the topic, I hardly even use my high beams at night cause the cool blue halogens I'm using are so bright. Really nice, white looking without the blue (played out by rice boys) color. And they sure beat the old-fashioned ice scream colored regular incandescent lights (yickie). And cyberstang, they don't sell those xenon lights for the 79-86 Mustangs. Maybe the '87-present and still though, they aren't as potent as the original BMW or S2000 headlights.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 05:46 PM   #9
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Xenon lights like the Bmw style lights are a whole different ballgame .. they aren't just xenon (they put xenon gas in flashlight bulbs) they are high intensity discharge lights (like the mercury vapor and metal halide street lights) They require a high voltage transformer and they are way expensive.
While i'm at it i think they should be illegal ! Have you ever had them shine in your face at night ? Some joker lets them get a bit out of alignment and hes going down the road blinding everyone he comes across ! They are great for the guy behind the wheel but they are dangerous and annoying to oncoming traffic. IMHO
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 02:03 AM   #10
BadAss01
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HotRoddin
Xenon lights like the Bmw style lights are a whole different ballgame .. they aren't just xenon (they put xenon gas in flashlight bulbs) they are high intensity discharge lights (like the mercury vapor and metal halide street lights) They require a high voltage transformer and they are way expensive.
While i'm at it i think they should be illegal ! Have you ever had them shine in your face at night ? Some joker lets them get a bit out of alignment and hes going down the road blinding everyone he comes across ! They are great for the guy behind the wheel but they are dangerous and annoying to oncoming traffic. IMHO
I agree, also sucks when they are in shining in your rearview... especially a BMW SUV, those lights are killer and at the perfect level to blind you from all angles.
My fiance has an M3, if I work late, he'll follow me home, but if he drives over even the smallest bump, his lights reflect into my rearview and blind me. This is a rant of mine... I think the headlights on newer cars are unnecessary, they make driving at night unpleasant.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:24 PM   #11
84LX89GT
Mustangs

If i were you i'd get the extra bright halogens, they probably don't have a longer life span, but being able to see at night without being pulled over is a big plus. I hate my yellow lights (regular Sylvania bulbs) and i'm probably going to get some white bulbs also.....but then again the housing lenses are probably causing the yellow so it may be a waste of my money

....so uh yeah, i'd go with the extra brights

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 01:07 PM   #12
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Quote:
Originally posted by cyberstang5.0
How about the Xenon bulbs that are in the Lexus and BMW's? Those things are like having your own personal sun for headlights. I know for sure they make them for the foxes and up, I'm not sure about your year...
Actually the newer cars, ei-Lexus and BMW, have what is called HID (High Inetnsity Discharge). It is a completely different lighting system. It is a glareless extreme light. They look blue, but put off the brightest white light you can get for a vehicle. The only setback is if your car doesn't come with it, the kit is about $900.

I have the Xenon Super White's 80w/100w. They are not legal, but they are bright as all get out. I have never been messed with by the police yet. Most headlights are 45w dims and 65w brights. These are 80w dims and 100w brights. Almost double the output of standard lights. People flash their brights at me all the time. I try sometimes to let it go, but when they repetedly flash them, I have to blind them.

Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 01:09 PM   #13
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

I guess I could have read the whole post and I would have seen that Hotroddin already answered that. Oh well.

Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote