MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-13-2003, 12:19 PM   #1
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Unhappy Somebody backed into my GT this morning.

Got up this morning and my mother tells me she's got some bad news.... . "Your father backed into your car."

So now I gotta make an insurance claim against his insurance b/c he for sure doesn't have the money to pay for it out of his pocket. Feel kinda bad doing it, but hey, that's what I got full coverage on the car for (I ain't paying all this insurance money for nothing!) If his insurance goes up for this, then.... well, what can I say.... His driving record is near perfect if not perfect so I don't know how much it will go up. I still feel kinda bad about doing what I have to do (hey, he's my dad and I still love him) but I'm pretty sure there is no other way. PISSES ME OFF! Why don't people pay attention to what they're doing (i'm in a bit of a ranting mode......)

Anyway, here are some pics. I'm kinda glad though it was the '92 and not the '79 b/c I only have liability on that car and that is my true favorite anyway. First one is a pic of the car with no dents. Last 3 show the new "mods" on the car.....

At first, I only noticed the paint scraped off the side of the bumper trim. But when I looked again, I saw that the fender well lip area had been dented and the paint chipped all the way off to the bare metal. The metal looks all shiny and brand new (looks like aluminum). You should be able to see it from the pics. That bare metal showing is about 2" by 3/4" dimensions.

...problems, problems, problems.....

Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 02:51 PM   #2
Sicy Stang
Sizzlin' Sicilian

Red face

Ouch!! How the heck did he manage that one??

I probly would do the same thing if I were in your shoes.. I mean, it wasnt your fault, it was clearly his fault and if he cant afford to pay for it out of his pocket he's got to pay for it somehow so I wouldnt feel to bad about filing a claim against him.
Sicy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 04:11 PM   #3
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

I think that's the first pic of your 92 that I've seen and it is gorgeous

Sorry to hear about the incident. Hopefully your dad can come up with the cash to fix it so that you don't have to file a claim.

Good luck getting everything worked out.

E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 06:29 AM   #4
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

ah yes.....wise man say, that really suck nuts.

-Josh, aka the tireburner

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 11:15 AM   #5
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

Quote:
Originally posted by tireburner163
ah yes.....wise man say, that really suck nuts.

-Josh, aka the tireburner

which wise man was that?!?
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 02:56 PM   #6
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Sicy Stang, I think the back window in his Ranger was frosted up and he didn't take the time to check where he was backing up ....

302 LX Eric, thanks for the compliment. That's Mother's Pure Carnauba Wax shine,

I got a couple of estimates today and to fix the damage to the quarter panel and bumper cover was $778 at one place and $843 at another. The shop that estimated $843 looks more professional (they got a huge on ground fish tank with a bunch of big fish in there-- one yellow one about 18" long! ), but the one that estimated $778 works directly with my insurance company so I may have to work with them ( I think i kinda rather do just that, b/c going through them would take less time to get done).
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Old 10-16-2003, 09:30 PM   #7
82 GT
Import Slayer

I'd feel bad filing a claim against my dad but look at it this way:
What would he do if you backed into his vehicle and didn't have the cash to fix it?(Ahhhh dad...that will buff right out)........LOL

I'm sure he feels bad about doing it but I'm sure he understands what you must do.

That is a nice car you have there though(both of them).
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 11:24 AM   #8
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Thanks for the compliments, Brian.

Yeah, he understands. His truck is old and beat up so if I had backed into him he wouldn't have cared (same as if he had backed into my 91 LX 4-cyl b/c the paint ain't all that good anyway and it's sort of my beater car).... the 92 is in just about perfect condition so it needs to be fixed cause it's the car that's gonna have to last me through grad school (for 4-5 years).

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video

Old 10-18-2003, 12:20 PM   #9
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

ARGH. I feel your pain. Sorry to hear about that. Not related, but kinda.

The one time my dad Helped me work on my car (Diane, 64 1/2 289). I asked for a 3/4 wrench. Instead of walking from the tool box and handing it to me, he decided to toss it to me.

Well, his aim was like WAY OFF. And in horror, I watched the wrench glide through the air like. Sunlight hit it, and caused a glistening sun burst off of it.

In Slow motion, I leaped to action. I did an manuever that would of made a Secret Service agent that protects the President proud. I leaped throught the air in the typical Action hero dive with arms outstretched.

Forgeting the Drivers side of the car existed, hip hit the drivers fender and caused me to smack the Air Cleaner with my face.

THEN WHAM !!!!! Right off my Passenger Fender. Dented fender (Which has been fixed since) Bent Glasses, and a big bruise on my Cheek for 2 weeks. Yep...that was awesome.

Yeah, People should pay alittle more attention. Like my mom. She still to this day tries to justify an event that took place like 13 years ago.

She went crashing through the garage door like she was some kind of stunt driver in a high speed Police Pursuit...And that was backing out of the Garage! Ripped the door and all down and totally splintering it. Amazing. Her car was only 9 months old.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 06:52 PM   #10
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Quote:
Originally posted by Fox Body
needs to be fixed cause it's the car that's gonna have to last me through grad school (for 4-5 years).
Being one of the older guys and a father here, allow me to play devils advocate for a moment
Who is paying for that grad school for 4 or 5 years thingy ??
Who provides the rent free space you keep your Mustang in ??
What's a young mans food bill per month in GA ??
Who spent the thousands of hours and jillions of dollars in gas shuffling you around to little league games and pop warner football and soccer and the doctors office and etc etc ad nausium??
Who under great duress and stress taught you how to drive that Mustang ... for FREE ??
Who paid for any windows etc you may have broken when you were learning how to throw a ball, even though you were told over and OVER not to throw the ball in the direction of old man JINKINS HOUSE!!!??
Who gave you a rent free place to live for the last decade and a half ??
Just something to think about before you lop off your Pop's head without a second thought !

PS: The big fish tanks and fancy lounges in body shops are a running joke among insurance appraisers ... trust me ...they don't mean squat !!
PSS: Make sure your estimate includes flex additive for the cladding and rear cover because from the looks of the picture, it doesn't look like who ever painted it last used it. Oh and its hard to tell by the pic but is that bondo i see where the dent is ?
PSSS: It is a beautiful car !!
Under Construction: 64 Falcon 372 cu in. stroker 1:72 rod ratio 6.250" rods (long rod), Comp Cams XE274 230/236 520/526 @ .050, Scorpion Rollers, Roush 200 irons, 10:1 Keith Blacks, Hedman long tubes, 750 Holley DP, Edelbrock Victor Jr., C4 3500 stall, gears and tires to be anounced.
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 01:11 AM   #11
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Smile

Thanks for the imagery Mercury, it was like I was actually there.

Quote:
Originally posted by HotRoddin
Being one of the older guys and a father here, allow me to play devils advocate for a moment
Who is paying for that grad school for 4 or 5 years thingy ??
Who provides the rent free space you keep your Mustang in ??
What's a young mans food bill per month in GA ??
Who spent the thousands of hours and jillions of dollars in gas shuffling you around to little league games and pop warner football and soccer and the doctors office and etc etc ad nausium??
Who under great duress and stress taught you how to drive that Mustang ... for FREE ??
Who paid for any windows etc you may have broken when you were learning how to throw a ball, even though you were told over and OVER not to throw the ball in the direction of old man JINKINS HOUSE!!!??
Who gave you a rent free place to live for the last decade and a half ??
Just something to think about before you lop off your Pop's head without a second thought !

PS: The big fish tanks and fancy lounges in body shops are a running joke among insurance appraisers ... trust me ...they don't mean squat !!
PSS: Make sure your estimate includes flex additive for the cladding and rear cover because from the looks of the picture, it doesn't look like who ever painted it last used it. Oh and its hard to tell by the pic but is that bondo i see where the dent is ?
PSSS: It is a beautiful car !!
Sheeeeeeesh, man, I didn't feel like replying to this post right now cause it's late and I'm tire, but man, you are too perceptive....... (I can see you are a dad....)

To be specific, though, ain't no money coming from my parents for grad school (forget about it ), I pay close to 1/2 the bills of the house (just living with them now cause I can save alot of money ), although I must say my mom does still do my laundry for me , never went to little league, I only broke one window with a rock. but they never found out about it (so ), .....old man JINKINS??? LOL! .... but trust me, I do get your point (punk! ). He knows I'm not retaliating against him or anything, just getting the car fixed. If you didn't have the money to fix the dent on your son's car, wouldn't you rather just go through the insurance?? I still do feel KINDA bad in a small way, just b/c it's my dad, but if your son took the same route with you and you knew it wasn't out of malice or anything, you wouldn't be hurt/offended would you? (I would kinda like to hear it from your perspective since you're a dad). I wouldn't....

Concerning the fishies, they are entertaining to watch, though...

Yes, the estimates do include flex additives (believe me, that is one thing I've paid attention to--- I've had enough dealings with trying to paint the front bumper of my '79 and keeping the paint on ---but thanks for the reminder)

..........and, uh yes, Mr. Perception, that is a thin layer of bondo beneath the paint (good eye).... It seems that the car had been dented at that spot b4. Hmmmmmm, wonder why the former owner never mentioned that . Oh well... But thanks for the compliments on the car. I appreciate it.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video

Old 10-19-2003, 10:12 PM   #12
82 GT
Import Slayer

HodRoddin , did you enhance those photos to be able to see that bondo you mentioned? You must have a good eye!!
How the heck to you see that???
Your not Steve Austin, the six million dollar man, are you...
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 10:21 PM   #13
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by 82 GT
HodRoddin , did you enhance those photos to be able to see that bondo you mentioned? You must have a good eye!!
Your not Steve Austin, the six million dollar man, are you...
Yeah, man, that's what I'm wondering. LOL

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video

Old 10-21-2003, 01:33 AM   #14
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Quote:
Originally posted by 82 GT
HodRoddin , did you enhance those photos to be able to see that bondo you mentioned?
LOL I'm an insurance appraiser, it's how i pay the mortgage.
Quote:
Originally posted by Fox Body
if your son took the same route with you and you knew it wasn't out of malice or anything, you wouldn't be hurt/offended would you? (I would kinda like to hear it from your perspective since you're a dad). I wouldn't....
My son and I would probably sit down and discuss the best way out of it ... it would only upset me if he just did it without discussing the options with me first, which he would never do ... not because of the all the respect he has for me, but because he knows i'd open a huge can of whoop *** on him.

PS: Don't feel bad about the bondo, almost any car that age has a little bondo on it somewhere.
Under Construction: 64 Falcon 372 cu in. stroker 1:72 rod ratio 6.250" rods (long rod), Comp Cams XE274 230/236 520/526 @ .050, Scorpion Rollers, Roush 200 irons, 10:1 Keith Blacks, Hedman long tubes, 750 Holley DP, Edelbrock Victor Jr., C4 3500 stall, gears and tires to be anounced.
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 11:01 PM   #15
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Unhappy :)

WOW...
I dont think i've seen that pic of your car either..SHE IS FINE!!!!!!
Im really sorry about your 'mishap'...Im sure your dad feels like a total loser right now. Im sure he knows how close you are to your Stang! Go easy on him... I had someone close to me tear a big hole in the vinyl on my light bar w/ the seat belt thing on the back of the seat when they put it back...and he felt like hell...u just gotta grin and bear it. It could always be alot worse....(did I just say that???? LOL)....
Good luck getting it fixed...Im sure everything will work out for ya'll just fine!
TNT

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 04:18 PM   #16
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by HotRoddin
...My son and I would probably sit down and discuss the best way out of it ... it would only upset me if he just did it without discussing the options with me first, which he would never do ... not because of the all the respect he has for me, but because he knows i'd open a huge can of whoop *** on him...
LOL LOL

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your reply, your compliments, and words of encouragement, Topless....

My dad and I have actually become closer b/c of this incident... (<--- the ellipsis has its significance ). And of course I am going TERRIBLY easy on him and don't mind one bit to do so---- he's my dad. The only 2 reasons I am going through the insurance: 1) I pay this money per year for what??? They BETTER do there portion of the contract.... This is why I got insurance, not to just throw my money away (oh yeah, and then there's the legal requirement of it all as well ) 2) He just doesn't have the money out of pocket right now to mess with it so, might as well use insurance for what it was intended.

...and yep, there is always a silver lining...

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video

Old 10-27-2003, 04:39 AM   #17
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Talking :)

TNT

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote