MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Blue Oval Lounge (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Any PC wizards out there? netscape probs (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=38396)

KiltedBanshees93GT 08-06-2003 09:38 AM

Any PC wizards out there? netscape probs

Can anyone tell me what the hecks going on here? We generally use netscape for surfing and within the last 12 hours something has gone horribly wrong, please read on and help if you can!! :oops: :twisted:
Right now, we have lost all of our favorites (due to g/f reinstalling netscape maybe?) but that is not the real problem is that when the browser is opened it gives an error message: "An error occured reading the startup config file; pers.js, syntax error illegal character. Followed by a string of characters.

Any ideas? I cant find the pers.js file, I checked all the javascript files in netscape,and did a general search on c:. nothing there, tried clearing them anyway, the program wouldnt load at all.
If you continue after the error message, netscape loads, and tries taking you to the registration, which we have already done. You can cancel the registration, and load the browser, but all the favs are gone, and it wont remember any of the settings (i.e. changing the homepage, it loads the default at next loading. )

BTW, we also tried downloading Mozilla, and got the same problem, if it helps.

Any ideas? please help!

Thanks, J

p.s. Any hope of finding the favorites?

joe4speed 08-06-2003 12:53 PM

Re: Any PC wizards out there? netscape probs

Quote:

Originally posted by KiltedBanshees93GT

p.s. Any hope of finding the favorites?

same thing happened to me, I sent a e-mail to tech support and that was about two weeks ago, and no response!! who knows!!!

good luck!!!!

Axman 08-06-2003 03:05 PM

Go here...http://www.mozilla.org

Download Mozilla browser, looks and works exactly like Netscape. I had problems with both Netscape and IE and I downloaded Mozilla. I have not had a problem since. I also removed Nescape from my PC and use Mozilla exclusively. Don't remove Netscape until you install Mozilla that way it'll copy your bookmarks to the new browser.

mustangII460 08-06-2003 03:29 PM

What operating system are you using?

ac97gt 08-06-2003 04:19 PM

uninstall netscape, delete the folder, and if you know how, delete any entries it made in the registry. reinstall netscape. btw just use IE... its faster and works for everything (get the newest version).

KiltedBanshees93GT 08-06-2003 06:41 PM

Thanks all,

Joe: I know how you feel, we were looking at netscape tech support, and they wanted $10 an email:rolleyes:
Axeman:We already tried mozilla, and get the same error message,
MustangII: Were on win98.
Ac97gt: I'll try that, we didnt delete it before, we just installed it over.

J

mustangII460 08-06-2003 08:17 PM

Id just re-install Windows if you havn't ever, or havn't in a while. You won't lose any info by installing windows over windows. Just don't do a clean install or you will lose your info. Make a boot disc first.

I do this atleast once or twice a year because of crap Ive deleted by mistake etc. Also make sure you DL win98 updates.

KiltedBanshees93GT 08-07-2003 09:30 AM

Thanks for everyones help, turns out the problem was the mozilla folder in the windows user profiles was honked up, deleted that and netscape, couple of restarts and everything was back to normal, at least as normal as they ever are round here :D

J

StangFlyer 08-07-2003 11:10 AM

KiltedBanshees93GT - I read this the other day and I had meant to respond. I was going to suggest that NS wasn't able to find your user files for some reason. Good that was the case, which is an fairly easy fix. Don't listen to them... NS 7.1 ROCKS, and I use it as my primary browser. I've always been a NS fan, as it has the most extensive and best email system going. It's also not affected by all those email viruses that take advantage of Outlooks never ending problems and security issues. It's also now more standards compliant than IE, supports all the same "extra" features, and so on. I think it's a shame that AOL hasn't changed their software to use NS instead of IE thus far, because that would drastically change things for NS overnight... (i.e. browser share).

ac97gt 08-07-2003 04:24 PM

i also use netscape for email, because ive used it since netscape first started. i used to use ne as my main browser, but once IE became bearable i havent gone back. you can beat the speed and simplicity of IE. ive never had a page that it cant load, and to me it seems to go faster. it loads faster at least which is a big plus for me. ne is still a good browser i guess, i just dont like how its not integrated into the OS, and through the many many years i have used it, i always have had little annoying problems with it just like KiltedBanshees93GT was describing. to each his own i guess.

srv1 08-07-2003 07:34 PM

Dan I have used both NS and Mozilla. Mozilla never gave any problems what so ever. NS did many times. I like Mozilla since it is open source.

James:cool: