MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-16-2000, 01:15 PM   #1
agm64
Registered Member

Question Coolant probs

I have a 64 1/2 with a D code 289. As soon as the car gets to normal temp, I've got coolant constantly dripping out of the blowoff tube from the radiator cap.

I've had the car only a couple of months. This all started a month ago when I was doing my complete once-over of the motor, when I first opened the radiator cap to inspect the coolant. I had been driving it (probably 100 miles) before this with no issues.

My guess is either bad cap or too much pressure in the system. Do I go quick and easy and try the cap or try to do a full blown flush? The engine was rebuilt six years ago (16K miles since) and I have a hard time believing I have a clogged system.

Thoughts?

------------------
Allan Munsie
64 1/2 Convertible
D Code 289
PB, PS, PT, AC
agm64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2000, 01:17 PM   #2
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Easiest thing to do is to try a cap. Flushing never hurt, even if it doesn't need it. Are you sure it isn't running hot??
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2000, 01:32 PM   #3
agm64
Registered Member

Could be. But here's the thing - I drive it around the block to get up to operating temp and "drip, drip, drip...."

When I tuned it up, I found that the timing had been set at TDC. I reset it up to 8 BTDC per spec. Of course, she's running a lot better but that could cause the heat. Maybe cooler plugs?

Of course, there's the thermostat, but I think that's operating properly. I pretty sure it's not stuck, as coolant seems to be flowing.

Since it's about to go into hibernation, I'm not wanting to get into too much heavy work. I'm thinking about replacing the two core raditor with a three core next spring, new hoses, thermostat, and checking out the pump.
agm64 is offline   Reply With Quote