MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 04:22 PM   #41
PKRWUD

Dark_5.0-

If it makes you feel any better, it is Friday!

Dan-

Is there not some way that you could allow a pic in the sig as long as it conforms to specific dimensions (like your example), kinda like with the avatars or when you want to attach an image?

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 08-02-2002, 04:32 PM   #42
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation Guests and criticism

Dark_ 5.0:

Let me try to explain something to you and anyone else who may be interested.

Does anyone here pay one penny for using this website or do anything to sustain it? The answer is: no, of course not.

You - and every other member - use it, obviously enjoy it and contribute your opinions and advice to it when you feel like it, as all our members do, but Dan McClain does most of the heavy lifting here, including paying money out of his own pocket every month to keep the site running. He gets some help from moderators, like me, who do what we do for free. We depend on our members to maintain a grown-up, civil and reasonable attitude in order to keep MW a friendly, useful site. When we make some simple requests and are met with attitude and snide remarks, it's not appreciated.

Can you not understand this?

Dan (and myself) have spent many hours and much effort to take MW from a simple, home-grown hobby site to what it is today, with over 20,000 registered members and a good reputation within the Mustang and internet community. We value all of the MW members but the fact remains that you are still a guest on another persons website and as such, the owner, Dan McClain, has a perfect right to do whatever he wishes and make whatever rules he see fit. You might complain but as a guest it behooves you to accept the minor restrictions without pouting about it.

As his agent, I do what's necessary to maintain the standards set by Dan for Mustang Works. Sometimes, that means criticizing a practice some members engage in, as in photos within signatures. Dan and I attempt to make this criticism as civil and reasonable as possible, and for our trouble, we are often met with hostility and 'attitude', as if we had no right to make a negative comment. Sorry, that's unrealistic.

Dan will finalize the signature issue and your small photo will probably stay. What's the problem? Someone criticized you? C'mon. I take more criticism from MW members than I ever get in daily life and yet, somehow, I manage to survive it. You can too.

Sorry about the job stress. It explains a lot. Let's try to move on from here. I'm willing.

Mustangbelle306:

You seem to be under the impression that a mild criticism equates to 'jumping down people's throats'. That's unrealistic. You need to learn to differentiate a simple suggestion (or even mild criticism) from a personal attack. Big difference.

I have opinions and I express them. Being the messageboard administrator does not prevent me from telling someone they made a mistake or could do things better. Why should it? I don't give up my right to an opinion and free expression when I log onto the MW website, and neither does anyone else, including you.

I try to make my criticisms civil and look for the positive but your view appears to be that I'm having some sort of low-grade mental problem if I post a negative word to someone. Does that apply to you, too? Are you having 'a day' if you criticise someone or make a suggestion? I doubt it, so why do you project that attitude onto me?

Case in point: I quite often see posts asking questions that could be answered with a 20-second Google search, like the infamous Nokia ring tones. I'm not sure if it's ignorance or laziness that causes this. Anyway, on that thread, I did the search, supplied the links and casually mentioned that anyone can find this information by utilizing a search engine.

You seem to have noted and retained that casual exchange and obviously thought there was something negative about my post. I disagree and think your perception of what's really negative and what's just advice or a casual observation is somewhat skewed. Look, no one, including me, likes criticism but we're going to get it, like it or not. Fact of life that we all need to understand and try to deal with realistically.

When the day comes that all I do is post smily-faces and never make a negative comment without being criticized in turn, I'm outta here. Since that won't happen (I've outlasted many, many posters who thought they knew exactly how I should be doing my job) you'll just have to bear my occasional criticisms on various topics from time to time and try not to attribute them to anything more than what they are. Observations, suggestions, advice and yes, criticism. Just like you occasionally offer.

Belle, based on your record here on MW I know you're up to it so I think we'll be fine here.
Old 08-02-2002, 04:35 PM   #43
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

All suggestions taken and noted, although I maintain everything I said I know from experience that sometimes its possible to not be aware of how you "rub" others, so I'm not going to press the matter anymore than I already have.
Old 08-02-2002, 05:05 PM   #44
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

GOTCHA!!!! ..........Thank you for yet again straightening me out.

Lets just let it die and move on "K"
Old 08-02-2002, 05:15 PM   #45
rustang girl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_5.0 Lets just let it die and move on "K"
I agree, this doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
http://ricehatersclub.com/
http://MechaPS.com/
Old 08-02-2002, 05:15 PM   #46
StangFlyer
Founder

Ohhh, we're definitely one big family here aren't we...
Media Center Gallery - View my member photos
Old 08-02-2002, 05:18 PM   #47
Rev
Registered Member

Default Costs/paynments?

Jim, you do seem to have forgotten that we as members do look at ads that do generate revenues for the site. I don't think anyone can argue with that. I also think we all realize the effort that you put in without any outright compensation.

You do seem to want to exercise quite a little bit of control over what members say on this board. Sometimes it doesn't go over that well. You might want to re-think how you relate to members. They are the lifeblood of the site.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Old 08-02-2002, 05:27 PM   #48
jj_jonathon
Trisket

Default Re: Costs/paynments?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rev
Jim, you do seem to have forgotten that we as members do look at ads that do generate revenues for the site. I don't think anyone can argue with that. I also think we all realize the effort that you put in without any outright compensation.

You do seem to want to exercise quite a little bit of control over what members say on this board. Sometimes it doesn't go over that well. You might want to re-think how you relate to members. They are the lifeblood of the site.

Rev
you are exactly right that the members are why this site continues...but honestly have you looked at the size of the ads? lol....we dont come in here and receive 12 pop-ups and have to give 7 referrals to another site to get in....course that would drive away almost everyone...you need a happy medium, those ads keep this site up, as well as Dan's hard work which attracts us to this site...so he has the right to limit abuse when he's maintaining...plus im not seeing any unreasonable limitations anyways...

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
Old 08-02-2002, 05:28 PM   #49
lx mike
Undescribable

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan McClain
Ohhh, we're definitely one big family here aren't we...
Hey Dad Dan: Can i Take YOUR MUSTANG out tonight??
Rice Haters Club Member #101
Old 08-02-2002, 05:30 PM   #50
jj_jonathon
Trisket

Quote:
Originally posted by lx mike

Hey Dad Dan: Can i Take YOUR MUSTANG out tonight??
"no!! you had it last night!!...MOM!!"...err who would be mom? lol

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Old 08-02-2002, 05:32 PM   #51
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jj_jonathon

I am not going there
Old 08-02-2002, 05:32 PM   #52
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Quote:
Originally posted by jj_jonathon

I'll be MOM..."NO you LITTLE BRAT get in the corner until your FATHER gets home!"

I'll help put the FUN back into dysFUNctional
Old 08-02-2002, 05:34 PM   #53
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Quote:
You do seem to want to exercise quite a little bit of control over what members say on this board.
NO, NO, NO.... That's MY job... Jim can't have it!!

Now where the heck is my riding crop?

J/K
Old 08-02-2002, 05:35 PM   #54
jj_jonathon
Trisket

Quote:
Originally posted by Mustangbelle306
I'll help put the FUN back into dysFUNctional
rofl! that reminds me of my senior class motto:

We put the RAD in GRAD.

it was thought up by our only student coucil rep to be thrown out of office...lol...but i cant complain...i voted for it....tried to get the venus flytrap to be our flower too...hehe...it was very very close...ended up with a white rose tho...dah well..hehe

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics

Old 08-02-2002, 05:38 PM   #55
Rev
Registered Member

Default Pop ups?

I agree wholeheartedly! The popups are practically non-exhistant now. Thanks Dan. Just hoping that everything can be on a more "friendly" basis without the "hatchetman'' role being a necessity.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Old 08-02-2002, 08:51 PM   #56
srv1
Get down.....

Exclamation attn: Jim

Jim, just because your an administrator, doesnt mean you know everything. also because you have the authority to close threads and delete them, doesnt make you walk on water. you have been just as much of jerk to other people as people have been to you, so dont think that you are merely applying your positive and civil criticism as if they dont offend anyone. you too are a guest here along with the 20,102 members. you help Dan, thats nice. most people here dont care. Dan appreciates it, but some here dont. administrator is supposed to keep the boards in line and also they are supposed to be one of us: memebers. you dont act like a member, rather like an authority figure. we dont need that. do your job and be a member, not an authority figure. we already have them, they are called parents and teachers. we dont need another one. you dont have to be that way in order to have people gain respect for you.
not everyone on this board dislikes you. i know this. but if you want everyone to respect what you do around here, take my advice above.
Old 08-02-2002, 08:51 PM   #57
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation Re: Costs/paynments?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rev

Rev
My job is maintain decorum on the messageboards. I do that as Dan and I think best and that will occasionally generate a certain amount of negative reactions from folks who don't think they should follow any rules or be told what they can and can't do. Too bad.

99% of our members never have - or make - a problem. I don't have the time to hand-hold and ever-so-gently explain everything I do here to people that are supposed to be adults. The idea that I should never say a harsh word to some member complaining about something or other is absurd.

Visit sites with little or ineffective moderation. They are almost useless and very frustrating - but no one 'controls' anything, do they? It's a mess and people hate it when there is no control as the jerks take over, quickly. MW has never been like that and never will, as long as I have anything to do with it.

Control is what I do, Rev. I try to be invisible about it as much as possible but sometimes I have to close a thread, chastize someone or whatever. If this is offensive to you or anyone else, so be it. I'm not in a popularity contest here and we now have over 20,000 registrations so we must be doing something right.

I'm aware of the members being the 'lifeblood' of the site, Rev. Dan doesn't run MW for his personal amusement and the help I've given to members over the past five years is well known by longtime members of this site. I need apologize to no one. I do my part and always have. That you or anyone else finds fault with my approach or my methods is predictable and beyond my control. Everyone thinks they can do a better job than the guy doing it.

Thanks for reading the ads. Really. It's appreciated but doesn't change the fact that we have a few rules and when the occasional problem arises, we deal with it.

Dan and I used to be afraid of hurting anyone's feelings until we got royally flamed and wasted a ton of time attempting to make happy-face with this and that unhappy member. We now realize that we have a great Mustang site and if a few folks get P.O.'ed and leave or want to be jerks about some little rule or something, let 'em go - we don't beg them to stay. Life is too short , MW is too good a site and neither Dan or I or any other moderator has the time or patience to play baby-sitter to folks who are adults.

Thanks for wading through this long post, but I wanted to take the opportuntity to state some basic truths about MW and my philosophy as messageboard administrator. Nothing personal intended, just some honest response to your comments that might benefit other members.
Old 08-02-2002, 09:05 PM   #58
Rev
Registered Member

Default Forceful

Jim, you , and Dan as owner, certainly have the right to exercise editorial power to whatever extent you deem necessary. Is that heavy exertion in the best interests of the site? I personally don't think so, but it is Dan's site and so is certainly his decision.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Old 08-02-2002, 09:23 PM   #59
srv1
Get down.....

Default Re: Re: Costs/paynments?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr 5 0

Dan and I used to be afraid of hurting anyone's feelings until we got royally flamed and wasted a ton of time attempting to make happy-face with this and that unhappy member. We now realize that we have a great Mustang site and if a few folks get P.O.'ed and leave or want to be jerks about some little rule or something, let 'em go - we don't beg them to stay. Life is too short , MW is too good a site and neither Dan or I or any other moderator has the time or patience to play baby-sitter to folks who are adults.

Thanks for wading through this long post, but I wanted to take the opportuntity to state some basic truths about MW and my philosophy as messageboard administrator. Nothing personal intended, just some honest response to your comments that might benefit other members.
i see you dont have the time, but you can reply with a detailed 8 paragraph post! uh huh, yep, ok buddy....

if your not worried about hurting anyones feelings, then be prepared to get it thrown back at you. it goes with the territory...

DAN, i like your site. very good site actually. i am here to post about anything, not just Mustangs or cars. i personally dont care what you do for options on this site. you can make the sigs small, big, with pics, without pics, avatars, no avatars, whatever. i really dont care. all i care about is posting a thread and replying. you meet alot of cool people from this place. as long as i can keep in touch with the members on this board by posting, you do what you got to do. just remember, you cant get rid of a cockroach by just stepping on him

another thing Dan, i keep hearing about personal expense to keep this site on the net. if you wanted it to be a free site, then dont expect handouts. BUT! if you want to help your finances to keep this site, without digging into your personal funds, you either got to advertise more OR (this is a good one that many agree upon) make more varities of Mustang Works t-shirts, sell them at a small profit and you can keep your site running. i know it takes time, but you are a web designer, so you can make up the logos and pictures yourself. all you need to do is go get them made. another thing is do a poll count. ask who would want a t-shirt for so and so price and give them the options of the style t-shirt(logos, sayings, pictures, etc...) they want and then you wont have to worry about making too many or not enough. just and idea. later for now, James....
Old 08-02-2002, 10:37 PM   #60
StangFlyer
Founder

Lightbulb

Ok, I think everyone could just go on and on and on, in essence bickering about the topic... In the end though, SRV1 said it best. "We'll do what we feel is needed" for the betterment of the site as a whole. Not because we want to upset anyone, but because overall we feel we need to in order to keep the quality of the site high. I don't know if that means killing signature images or not yet, but we'll see as things move along...

Until then, please just keep images under control and the amount of space used (text) in your signatures reasonable (a few lines)...

If anyone doesn't know how to create a link to their User's Rides listing, it's not hard, just view the vB Code page. For the URL to your listing, just go view it in the rides section and copy and paste the URL on your browser to use in the vB Code.
Media Center Gallery - View my member photos
Closed Thread