MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-15-2001, 07:09 PM   #1
Taqus
Registered Member

Lightbulb Salaeen, Shelby, Cobra please define these for me.

can you guys please define all the names for mustangs please so when i go out looking for one i know exactly what it is that i want.

just tell me how they are different. and what them mean.

thanks.
Taqus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2001, 07:37 PM   #2
kvpony
Registered Member

Be glad to help, lets start at the begining.
Carrol Shelby made a vehicle called the "AC Cobra" back in the mid sixties. The first one comprised of a Ford 289 v8 in a small light weight bodied car. This car was successfull on the street and race circuit. He then put a big block in the same body and dominated everything. Ford approached Shelby to make some mustangs for them with the performance in mind, hence the Shelby Cobra mustang. At the same time somewhere in the late sixties Ford made a "Cobra' package available on almost every v8 powered car. Now we move to the eighties. What Shelby did for the mustang in the sixties, Steve Saleen did for the mustang in the eighties and currently. The difference is Shelby worked closely with Ford to produce the Cobras for Ford. While, Saleen deals in modified mustangs for the public. This is the history as I know. There are other Stangers out there with more info and history than me. On a final note, Ford owns the rights to the "Cobra" name and still uses it to this day. It has nothing to do with Cobras of yore.

------------------
1988 lx 5.0. goood pony, good good pony. Whoa girl whoa
kvpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 09:32 PM   #3
84_GT350
Registered Member

I'll pick up where kvpony left off. Shelbys aren't too important unless you want an older (like a GT350, interestingly enough the first Mustangs equipped with centrifugal Paxton blowers...from the factory!) Stang BUT there were a few Fox bodied ('79-'93) Mustangs modified by Shelby of America for SCCA class racing that ran about 290hp and were white with blue racing stripes (they look sweet as hell). No more than 100 though, if even that many. You can find them in Hemmings sometimes but they cost a pretty penny. Shelby made the original AC Cobras, GT350s, and GT500s until about '70 or '71. Ford used the GT350 logo in 1984 to build a 20th anniversary car (like mine) and got sued by Shelby. Anyhow, moving on...Saleens are quite possibly some of the most hard @ss Fox bodied Mustangs built. Saleens are fast, but their real talent is handling, especially the SSCs (they even have shocks thatare adjustable from the driver's seat via a little knob). The only Cobra I'd ever consider is a '93 and up (my apologies to those who have a late 70's model like a '79....I just can't stand 'em). They look better and generally run a little harder than your run of the mill Stang thanks to better heads, intakes, and cams. There are also Cobra Rs made in seriously limited numbers in '93, '95, and '00. Don't expect to see one under $40,000 though. Other names to remember are Steeda (they're right up there with Saleen...they just never caught on so much), Predators which were made in VERY limited numbers in the middle of nowhere Kansas in the late '80s, and SVOs...just Turbo 4s with WAY better suspensions made between '84 and '86. Did I leave anything out?

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2001, 02:39 AM   #4
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Yeah, basically Shelby sues anyone who even thinks about using a name related to something he worked on. Regardless of whether or not he was just designing something for somebody else, like a Shelby tuned Mustang designed for Ford, or a Cobra, or anything else. Most of the projects were funded by Ford, but Shelby IMHO got a big head about it.

Anyway, the Cobra is a early to late 60's race car. Two seat in Daytona, or S/C roadster design. The Shelby modified Mustang's were the GT-350, and the GT-500. They were built as autocross cars, and are very rare and valuable today.

The Mustang Cobra II was the first Mustang to actually be named Cobra I believe, however, the Cobra Jet, and Super Cobra Jets, were engine's that were placed in some Mustang's in the late 60's and early 70's, which is earlier than the Cobra II's debut in 1976. Quickly following the Cobra II came the King Cobra of 1978. Neither the Cobra II nor the King Cobra's consisted of any performance modifications, they were just appearance packages.

Then, as mentioned before, the GT-350 appeared again in 1983 with a 5.0 HO replacing the sick 4.2 V-8 of earlier years.

With the debut of 1987 the Mustang Cobra name was once again present, but only in Canada, as USA bound 'Stangs were named GT, and Canadian models were called Cobra.

Saleen came onto the scene a little later, his first tuner Mustangs were in '88 or '89 I believe. More or less he took over the Mclaren tuned Mustang's spots. The motors remained stock, but with some performance suspension going onto the vehicles, and appearance packages being used.

Then in 1993 the real Mustang Cobra returned to the USA as well, in the form of a high performance 5.0 with GT-40 performance parts bolted on. Also the Mustang Cobra R debuted, a race version of the Mustang Cobra. It was even more aggressive in the suspension than a standard Cobra. The Mustang Cobra ran continuously as the most high performance Ford Mustang availible from 1993-1999. The Cobra R was availible in 1993, 1995, and now currently, but they are very limited production race only versions. The Cobra's and Cobra R's all had different motors than the GT's and offered more performance.

Later on, after the Fox body, Saleen began making serious performance modifications and with the the new SN95 series Mustangs being released did such extensive modification to the car that Saleen ceased to be considered a tuner, and an actual manufacturer, his cars were availible through Ford SVT dealers at a significantly elevated price over the Ford models. They did in many cases offer extreme performance enhancements over the Ford versions wuch as supercharged 351's.

Also worth noting is just a few years ago, ol Carrol Shelby happend upon a few old S/C Cobra roadsters VIN numbers and began producing authentic 1960's S/C Cobras to compliment his line of of "new" S/C Cobras. He also designed the new Series 1 exotic car.

The early Shelby Mustang's are very expensive today. They were designed to autocross so they featured suspesion enhancements, but for the most part the engines remained stock, or mildly warmed over.

The Mustang Cobra II and the King Cobra were basically just Mustang II's with an appearance package, their top engine choice was the 139hp 302. The King Cobra was the first Mustang to be badged 5.0.

The GT 350 in 1983 could be mated with the T-5 manual, when it was it was rated at 175hp and featured a Holly 4bbl carb. Nothing special really, that motor carried over in the Mustang GT in 1984, and was improved in 1985 significantly.

The 1987-1992 Canadian Cobra's were just Mustang GT's rebaged as Mustang Cobra's by Ford. No performance difference is noted. They were all rated at 225hp, and 300lb/ft torque.

In 1993 the Mustang Cobra truely returned. With it's GT-40 heads, 24lb injectors, Cobra intake, cobra cam, and roller rockers, it was rated at 235hp and 280lb/ft of torque. That stands over the 205hp, 285lb/ft rating on the 5.0 HO's which were re-rated for the first time since 1987, dispite many performance changes. It was crippled with the worst computer on earth. Today these cars are quite coveted, expect to pay over 10k for them. They are also very easy to "wake up" and get some really great performance out of them. They also had better brakes,better suspension, special wheels, and some appearance items. A very nice car really. The Cobra R of that year is a race version, stripped down, and ready to rock. They command huge prices, not worth it unless you're collecting IMHO.

The 1994-1995 Cobra's were heavier than the GT's, but they were rated at 245hp, above the manual GT's 225hp, and the auto's 215hp. Again they had other performance enhancements, and some minor styling cues.

In 1996 the Mustang recieved the first 4.6 mod motors. The Cobra got a much hotter version than the GT, a 32v DOHC version that thumped out 305hp to the meager 215hp on all GT's that year. 1997 remained the same, and in 1998 the GT was hopped up 10hp to 225. Again the Cobra's also featured other performance enhancements as well.

In 1999 the Mustang Cobra recieved a slightly hopped up verision, or at least people were told that, it produced 320hp, but Ford dropped the ball, and really due to mismatching, it still only produced 305. Ford offered a fix that helped the problem for free. The big news was the GT got a new 2nd gen 4.6 SOHC motor that finally made some big performance, 260hp. Without the fix, the Cobra could scarcely fend off a new GT at the track, which was why the recall was made most likely. Ford killed the Cobra in an attempt to save face at the end of that year, and cancelled the '00 model.

Now in '01 the Cobra is re-appearing, I haven't seen any tests, but it's rated at the 320hp. The GT's carried over the 260hp rating.

To get the ultra specifics, you'd have to ask about a single model I guess. This takes too long.

Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote