MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-17-2002, 08:49 AM   #1
Yuppie98a
Registered Member

Unhappy Added Header (Please Help)

I have a 95 GT. I have added MAC longtube headers, off road
H-pipe, MAC Cat-backs. My timing had been advanced by previous owner to 15 degrees. (If I'm reading correctly. The small circle that is over the dampner is where I'm reading the timing with the SPOUT unplugged) The proplem is that after I added the headers and stuff I would hesitate between gears at WOT. I am also pinging at WOT. I've backed the timing down but my Idling goes all to pieces. Is there something else that I need to do or am I doing something wrong? Please help.
Yuppie98a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 11:42 AM   #2
95mustanggt
Registered Member

I too have had some detonation from my 95GT. I have my exhaust done from my headers back (I'm waiting until I do my heads before my headers).

My car use to detonate big time at WOT. Especially in the Texas heat. I replaced my TPS as the voltage was a little high. No change in ping.

I then changed the Coolant sensor which was also reading out of spec. As soon as I changed my coolant sensor my computer informed me that my MAF was shot. I replaced my MAF with a GMS 75mm (same as Pro-M 75mm) and the problem seemed to go away. I had my timing bumped to a full 10 degrees with my chip and when it got hot I still had some detonation. Timing is now at 9 degrees and my car runs fine.

What type and grade of fuel do use? You say you backed your timing down, what did you change it to? When I removed my chip and adjusted just my timing, I found 14 degrees would start to detonate and I limited my car to 13 degrees in the texas heat. I run 93 octane Mobil gas.

My advice to you (after you answer the above questions) is to check your computer for fault codes (If you need help let me know) and then manually check your sensors. Especially the O2 sensors as work has been done in that area.

Hope this helps, post some answers to the above questions.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 12:12 PM   #3
USMC302
Registered Member

The timing is read from the flat part above the circle. It acts as a pointer in a way of speaking. Set your timing to that, bump it down until it stops pinging at WOT, you will be fine once you do that. let us know.
Old 04-17-2002, 03:01 PM   #4
Yuppie98a
Registered Member

Thanks guys for all your help. I have my time set at 11 degrees now. That is as far as I can go and not ping at WOT. To answer some of the questions. I run 93 octane Amoco gasoline. TN doesn't regulate gasoline so they all come from one big tank in Memphis and each company adds there own additives coming up the road. Amoco comes from NC reach regulates their gasoline (quality). At least that is how it was in the early 90's and I've never heard any different. This info came from Ford for those of you that live in TN if you are interested and I can tell a difference if I run another brand in it besides Amoco. I haven't checked the codes yet. I have a book that tells me how so hopefully by tomorrow I will have those results. Thanks again for all the help
Yuppie98a is offline   Reply With Quote