MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-24-2002, 08:17 PM   #1
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

Default DSL vs. CABLE modem, enlighten me

we're getting a new computer soon and want to have an internet connection that doesnt disgrace the rest of the specs of the machine.
We went the easy route with ordering a Dell. 512Mb ram, 1.8Ghz P4, 80Gig harddrive, CDRW, blah blah blah...

anyway, we're used to an extrememly slow dial up connection so both DSL and cable will be amazing to us (at first anyway)

what are the pro's and con's of both of them?

cable is faster isn't it?

are either of them normally service providers or will we have to pay for that too?

we have AOL (the devil) and they offer DSL for an additional $31 a month on top of the normal $20. This sounds kinda like a ripoff but my family loves AOL because its so easy to use.

our cable internet would be from Comcast, does anyone have this? how is it? i think its about $50 a month which would be the same as AOL if it is a service provider (or is it just the connection?)

thanks for any help guys, later
Old 02-24-2002, 08:36 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

AOL's normal rate for unlimited access, which you have to have is $24/mo. Plus the $31/mo for the DSL service. I do not know how it's billed. If it goes through the phone company, you'd be billed on a phone line and be forced to pay federal access charges, 911 taxes, and other service fees by the phone company like I was. It will all come up to no less than $60-65/mo.

If the Cable modem network is setup well, you will blow the doors off most DSL services (including AOL's) for less money. If the network is crappy, your service may be slow because every user on the network slows the network down.

On a side note, DSL isn't immune to that either. Even though they use it as an arguement against cable modems. I personally know how it works. They service provider sells too many DSL lines for their network to support based on the idea only a certain percentage of people will be on at a given time. Then, they give you a non-static IP address, and loop you in a router while it skips from user to user to user, like a fricken token ring network. It can become quite frustrating when you DSL slows down to dialup data transfer rates because of the looping.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 09:21 PM   #3
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

To make it simple:

Your supposed to be guaranteed an alotted amount of bandwidth on DSL. Say 768K downstream and 128K up stream.

The CABLE is fast both ways. The DSL is slow uploads fast downloads.

Next time buy a computer from our store. I'll get you a better price and better parts.

Skyler

RIP
----
1993 Notch w/ 98 4V 4.6 Fasttt...

-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
12.32@109

-1999 Black Cobra Coupe-
JBA Shorties, Bassani Cat-X, Magnaflow 3", Pulleys, 85mm Pro-M, Ported Intake, Soild Rear w/ 4.30s, Tubular Front End, X2C arms, 13lb batt, few others.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 09:35 PM   #4
fiveohpatrol

sorry Skyler, I had actually told my dad about buying from you, but he insisted on going with Dell because he's had so many friend have good business with them.
When I buy my own after college I'll definately get it from you, promise

i checked out comcast's site and their cable service is $39.95/month + $5/mo or $199 upfront for the modem.
But it also says something about incremental IP addresses for $6.95-$9.95/month, what exactly is this and will we need it?

Is comcast a service provider or just a connection?
Old 02-24-2002, 09:39 PM   #5
drudis

I had DSL for a year. It was at the fringe of distance from the main hub and VERY slow. I got like 300K speeds (slow). It was sort'a ok, since it was part of the Ford E-model (free employee PC) so the DSL was only $25/month.

I have sincee moved to Time Warner Roadrunner, and the ONLY one available in my area. Its $45/month, but blows away my old DSL. Its about 10 times as fast as my DSL. VERY happyu camper.

I just built my own 1.6Ghz PC in december for under $300 (for chip, motherboard, and power supply), then added all my old 40G harddrives, and ATI Wonder video card...

p.s. Hey Skyman, do you know how to reset the Netgear RT311 router (if you forget the password). Ineed to reconfigure it...
email me privateply please drudis@dariusrudis.com
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 09:40 PM   #6
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

Hey skyler how much do you charge for a new motherboard? I want to replace the one in my room because it is only 166 mhz but i dont wanna buy a new computer because we just got the one i am now which is 1.3 ghz and about 3 months old. Its a dell 8100 series. But anyways i was thinking maybe like 1 ghz for in my room. We have had great success with Pentiums so thats probably what i would want hehe. And about the Cable vs. DSL definently get cable. Also i would not reccommend anything with AOL's name on it except instant messenger. I used to have AOL dial up and it pissed me off

Later,
Nick
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 09:54 PM   #7
mean81GT
Registered Member

Every says that cable slows down as more people get on. true and false. while it is true that the bandwidth is shared among users within a certain node, cable complanies throttle your performance so that you never notice a difference. For example, if your cable company is using a 6 MHz channel for the downstream carrier, and is using 64 QAM modulation (the most common), your modem is capable of approx 30 mbps download. on the upstream, it is commonly QPSK, and is capable of 10 mbps. now, what the cable companies do is they limit you toa vertain spoeed, say for instance 10 mbps download. this way, they have 20 mbps to take for the other people coming on, and you never notice it. dsl gives you everything up front, and as was said before, your connection IS shared, and your speed drops dramatically as the other people use the connection. also, for evenly matched DSL vs. cable, which doesn't ever happen, the dsl is twice as expensive. if you have any questions about cable modems or dsl, email me. i know it all (it's what i do). also, they are both service providers, as is standard dial up, but aol is different as it gives you it's own OS. you use netscape or IE for the other two. you can keep aol, and pay 9.95 per month.
Old 02-24-2002, 11:02 PM   #8
GT PONY 1
Registered Member

I have been using a cable modem now for over a year and just love it. Work pays for it so I can work from home when I get called in the middle of the night. I was on AOL for my persional use, but an now considering getting rid of it as the price is going up from 9.95 to 14.95 and since I can do everyting I need vis the cable modem service I dont really need AOL any longer...

I would go for the cable modem...
GT PONY 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 01:33 AM   #9
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Wow!!
I really like DSL! I can't believe people don't! I get great speeds with it all the time:

as far as AOL goes, you use "BYOA" Bring Your Own Access. If you go through cable or DSL you're not using their modems, so it's 9.95 a month. But if you get Cable or DSL you don't need AOL anyways. They give you email addresses, and to get on the internet, all you have to do is get on internet explorer ort netscape. You're already connected.
I know cable is fast, but if you live in a big city, the more people on, the worse it is... it can be slower than DSL or down to 56k speeds (worst case) where DSL is always the same!!
Either way, whatever you choose, it will still be WAY better than dial-up! You'll never go back, and you'll be amazed how fast it really is!
Good luck, and keep us informed!
Old 02-25-2002, 01:34 AM   #10
joe4speed

BTW, ever since I got win XP, I connect at 2.8 mbps instead of 1.4... go figure... download speeds are faster too, I'll have to take a new pic!
Old 02-25-2002, 07:52 AM   #11
WADS56
gear banger

Hey JL1314, I like how you got that nipple shot in there
Ricer hater's club member #49
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 10:57 AM   #12
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Cable vs DSL

No expert here and not a computer guru by a long shot, just a typical 'end-user'.

I originally had a 56k modem and a separate phone line for my internet access. The phone line was $23. per month and the ISP was another $22. with taxes. $45. total. Good ISP service, typical 56k performance.

Went to DSL - regional phone company provider - for a free month promotion intro and I self-installed to save the fee. Cost is $40. per month + tax/fees for a total just a nick under the $45. I paid previously. This made it equal to what I was paying for a second phone line and the ISP, combined.

I was able to have my second telephone line disconnected (saving $23. per month) as DSL runs on the regular house phone line but allows you to have full access to phone service while using DSL. Cool.

Much faster service with no problems since I went on it 18 months ago. No cable service available in my area anyway but right now I have little motivation to change, although I like the speeds of the cable set-ups, I don't find the DSL to be a burden in the least so unless the cable was noticable cheaper I probably would't change.

Bottom line; DSL is great - much faster than modem, of course (you will be thrilled) and apparently cable is even faster yet. If you can get a good cable deal, go for it, but if you go with DSL you won't be exactly deprived.

Sort of like having the choice of getting a new GT or a Cobra. Both are good.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 11:36 AM   #13
joe4speed

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by WADS56
Hey JL1314, I like how you got that nipple shot in there
SHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Wow, you've got good eyes, I didn't even notice that there, I wonder what I was looking at when I took that screen shot!!!
Old 02-25-2002, 01:27 PM   #14
fiveohpatrol

so if we went with the AOL's DSL offer then it would be like $31+ only $9.95 + taxes for unlimited use?

I know how mig the difference will be, we have T1 lines on campus at my school (although the network is pretty slow) its still alot faster than dialup. My girlfriend goes to Ball State and i was up there this past weekend, they have T1 as well but a much better network. anyways i downloaded a movie from the lounge and i about crapped my pants at how fast it downloaded

ok, i'll stop rambling
Old 02-25-2002, 02:49 PM   #15
Stang Runner
Registered Member

I have had DSL for some time a 2 diff providers The frist one was GREAT up to 1100K to about 400-800K most of the time. BUT there stop having DSL they switch us to a diff DSL and Well IT is Like CRAP!!!! 120K is the MAX!!!!!! most of the time 60-90K And I have a few frieand with Calbe and it can be Fast 1000-1500K BUT as far down to 10k or less about 10% of the time But then it is all where you live.I like DSL when it was cooking 1 day in 2 years was it down for more than 10 mins
Engine: steel mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, GT-40 Intake ported Lower, No power steering, No A/C, Mac cold intake, 65MM TB, 255 Fuel pump, 24's, AFR 165 58cc, Rocker Arms 1.7with the stock Cam, 1 5/8 short headers, offRoad X-pipe
Drive Train: 3.55, T-5 with a Pro 5.0 shifter
12.656@107.71MPH See It at www.T-racing.com/mustang.htm
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 04:03 PM   #16
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

MidNiteBlu 5.0

So you just want a Motherboard and CPU w/ cooling fan?

You could go with a 1ghz celeron and board, but I would recommend probably the AMD Duron CPU at 1.2 GHZ for the same price.

Do you want any components integrated on the motherboard? I would suggest sound only.

Give me a call at work 805-646-1617 and I can set you up.

Skyler

RIP
----
1993 Notch w/ 98 4V 4.6 Fasttt...

-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
12.32@109

-1999 Black Cobra Coupe-
JBA Shorties, Bassani Cat-X, Magnaflow 3", Pulleys, 85mm Pro-M, Ported Intake, Soild Rear w/ 4.30s, Tubular Front End, X2C arms, 13lb batt, few others.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 09:01 PM   #17
lx mike
Undescribable

I had the same expereince as Mr5.0. i had a second line and between that and the isp was $45-50 a month, then i checked into cable and was the same price so i got it and luv the speed. they say that when there are alot of people using cable it slows down but i haven't noticed any change at any certain times. also it's nice to just click and open a browser or anything that needs an internet conection without haveing to wait to connect, it's always connected.
Rice Haters Club Member #101
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 11:37 PM   #18
PKRWUD

I've had DSL through my phone company for just over 2 years now. My d/l speeds have averaged 1100k+. u/l is a different story. That didn't present a problem until I started building websites for people, where I have to upload files. My buddy in Oxnard, the next town over, got a cable modem shortly after I got DSL. His downloads were never quite as fast as my DSL, but they were still leaps and bounds faster than the 56k it replaced. He has been complaining for a year now about how much slower his service has gotten, and has decided to have DSL installed. We'll see what happens after he gets it installed. Bottom line: if you live in a highly populated area, DSL is your best bet. If you live on the outskirts, or in a small town, cable might be quicker. I am yet to see a cable modem that is faster than my DSL at d/l files, but I live in a town with a population over 100k.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 12:02 AM   #19
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

Hey ill have to give ya a call Sky. I think i need a new CD drive though cause mine is acting stupid like it wont read the disk most of the time but every now and then it will I dont need a burner cause there is one onm y parents computer.

Thanks,
Nick
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 01:20 AM   #20
joe4speed

Ik bought a computer from Sky.... Good deal, and good machine! Thanks Skyman!