MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-14-2001, 02:55 PM   #1
bobtodd
Registered Member

Question speed density question..

I was just wondering how well speed density cars handle aftermarket heads, cams, etc. I use to own an 88 gt which was speed density and after adding a supercharger to it, the car would surge really bad whenever I got on it. I have since sold that car, but am looking at an 87 lx today, and was wondering if anyone has had problems adding different mods to their speed density cars. I guess I could always convert to mass air, but it was expensive when I did it to my gt. Anyhow, any info would be great.
bobtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2001, 03:19 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Wink

SD cars can take significant engine mods, and they respond very well to them when tuned properly. Usually most tuning just involves finding the proper fuel pressure with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Keeping the car in tune, would, I suspect be very important as well in regards to maintenance.

88workcar is one of the resident SD guru's on the Mustangworks. He's running aluminum heads, an E cam, and an intake. All told he runs low 12's N/A, and should be well in the 11's with his NOS shot.

Some people seem to have more problems adjusting their SD cars than others, I really don't know what to say about that, I'm just thinking something may have been out of tune.

Anyway SD can handle heads, cams, and intake. It seems to be really pressed if the combo gets over the mild stage though.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2001, 02:03 AM   #3
Mustanguy

Cool

bobtodd

They do make speed density blower kits.I got a blower kit that was designed for speed density.

I however decided to just convert over to mass-air when the blower was to be installed.If I was to do it different,I would stay speed density just to prove that it can be used with a blower.This has been already been proven though by a guy named Patrick Gattafoni.He used to be a member on this very site.He owned a Paxton blown 87GT with a speed density set-up that went 12.166@122mph.

------------------
Paxton Blown 87GT
ICQ#112698436

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: