MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-13-2002, 09:33 PM   #1
nitrostang66
Registered Member

Default fun story on my friends stang

Since I posted a long post below I will tell you guys a neat story about my friends 65 coupe. Earlier in the summer I posted a request on how to flame throw in the Mustang, Now after like half a year I finally did it on a friends 65 coupe. I will tell you guys now it was well worth it and gets some looks at night on the highway.
What I did was to take two spark plug sized threads(got them at Auto zone) and drilled a hole behind the Mufflers on each side of the exhause. Then I had a friend weld them in place with no air gaps. I ran two spark plug wires from the plugs that were now set to 2 coils I mounted on the fire wall. I then made this switched with the switch in the glovebox. Secoundly I took an old gas tank off my old lawnmower(who needs to cut the grass anyway) and mounted it in the trunk. I ran a fuel line to a Honda fuel pump(imports have smaller fuel pumps) and mounted that in the trunk as well. Then I used trassmission line to run a line to in front of eack of the spark plugs,Made the cut and used pipe soder to seal it. With this done I made the fuel pump switched as well in the glove box.
The first few times it worked just ok, then we played with the distance with the spark plugs and it was way evil.

That night we drove down highway 64 and I mean flames just poured out. Even a few times the sound of fire was a backdrop to his 289.
The best was that night the local import club had met and were out hot doging it on the road, the Blue Acura that pulled up to my friend revving his engine backed off after 9 feet of flames shot out of the back of the Stang.
The only draw back was it scourched the paint a bit, but my bud needs a new paint job any way. Besides I understand the in shows, flamers use extentions to get past that deal, I am looking into that;until then I dont wish to fry my paint job.
Thanks for reading and if you have time give me your help on my post below.
nitrostang66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 09:56 PM   #2
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

Woh' that is some nutty stuff. If I could convince my dad to do that I would be in for it. I doubt I'll do that but it sounds like some cool stuff!

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 05:49 PM   #3
70_Nitrous_Eate
Registered Member

OK, I've got some questions.

How did you get the coils to fire? Did you tap into the signal wire that goes from the distributor to the engine's ignition coil? And if so, how does the car run with the distributor trying to fire 3 coils instead of just 1?

Where did you find spark plug wires long enough to go from the firewall to the spark plugs behind the mufflers?

You said you had to play with "the distance of the spark plugs", in order to get optimal results, what do you mean by that? Do you mean the distance between where the fuel is dumped into the pipes and where the spark plugs are located? If so, what distance did you find to be best?

And why didn't you tap into the stock fuel line instead of installing a whole seperate tank in the trunk?

Thanks for the info!
70_Nitrous_Eate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 03:08 AM   #4
nitrostang66
Registered Member

O.K., Since I posted this I have found sites that sell the kits, too bad I like to play around with stuff. The reason I used the other tank is bacause of the extra gas it dumps into the system. You can leave trails of flame this way!!!!!!!! The wires I got from Auto Zone, I asked them what the longest wires they had and they sold me some from I believe from a Chystler. If that doesent work you talk to like Summit, and they can make you the wires. It cost me around 30 bucks for the two. The coils were switched so it was not a drain on the battery, because my friend only flipped the swicth to get the flames. The distance is very important. because I played with it and sometimes it worked better. The plugs also made a difference, The best I found were for Kerosin(sp). regular spark plugs did work but speraticly. You can do it with out the extra gas tank but when I did it for my friend I did not want to risk blowing a 12 gallon tank to a 1 gallon tank. It is a week end project, because it takes time to get it right. I am not a safe person so I took risk. It payed off, but in the flame world there are many tricks and many people I talked to would not tell me them. I, after looking at a few sites would just buy a kit. My friends 65 was crap so we both did not really care about playing with it. Sorry about misspellings, drank way too much. But if you still need help give me a reply and I will do my best to help you. The kits I saw cost like 130.00, I payed more than that to do it to my friends stang. Brock
Old 02-17-2002, 01:37 PM   #5
70_Nitrous_Eate
Registered Member

OK, thanks for the info, but you didn't answer 2 of my questions...

Mainly, how you got the coil to fire... If you just run power to the coil with a switch, the spark plugs will only spark once for each time you flick the switch. You need to pulse the voltage to the coils to keep the plugs sparking.

I'm still not certain I understand what you ment by "the distance is very important". The distance between what and what?

I also can't understand why you'd use a completely different tank. Why not just add a "T" fitting into the stock fuel line (near the tank)? Were you worried that you might blow up the tank so that's why you used a different, smaller one?

Thanks!
70_Nitrous_Eate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 02:12 PM   #6
nitrostang66
Registered Member

Sorry about that last night was a long one. The distance was that of the spark plug going down in the pipes. I don't know why this made a difference it just did. With the spark, I had no problem with it making flames, I learned this set up from a freind at a Hot rod show in Virginia Beach. He works on old T-buckets. I mainly did what he had layed out for me, because I had no idea what it would do. My friend Rob, and I also did not exactly go down the road for an hour blowing flames, I turned on the swicth for the gas, and then turned on the switch for the coils and it worked. I probably left it on for 10 to 15 secs at the most, Very cool but when your in the car you dont push you luck after a while. Just like when you get up to around 130mph, those who have been there in the Classic stangs know what I mean, it is fun for a while until you realize, man this is stupid. Blowing flames out the back with the pipes getting hot right beside your drop tank was on both our minds. But the mod is safe in moderation!
hope that helped.....also the other spark plugs are hotter since Kerasine(sp) is harder to light.