MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-30-2001, 01:49 PM   #1
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

Default New Teen Driving Laws..... A little long

Today I logged onto Yahoo and saw this on My Yahoo Page.

SOURCE: AAA Texas
New Teen Driver Law Takes Effect New Year's Day
Driving Will Never Be the Same for Teen Drivers
HOUSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 29, 2001--Driving will never be the same for teenage drivers on Texas roadways starting New Year's day. The Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) law, designed to reduce teen crashes and save lives, goes into effect.

``Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for teens in Texas,'' said Anne O'Ryan, public affairs manager for AAA Texas. ``The most dangerous activity for a Texas teen is to get behind the wheel of a car or to get in the vehicle with another teen driver.''

``Almost all teen crashes are attributed to in-experience, poor judgment and immaturity,'' added O'Ryan.

Beginning Jan. 1, 2002, teen drivers between the ages of 16 and 18 will have to abide by these requirements:

The graduated driver license law will prevent teens from driving without an adult 21 years or older during the first six months.
It also prohibits more than one passenger from being in the vehicle under 21 years of age, who is not a family member.
In addition, law enforcement offices can not stop a driver for the sole purpose of determining the age of the driver.
States that have adopted a Graduated Driver Licensing program have experienced a reduction up to 35 percent in crashes involving teen drivers. So far, 45 states and the District of Columbia have implemented a Graduated Driver Licensing system.

AAA Texas, an affiliate of the American Automobile Association, has been serving Texans since 1902. AAA Texas offers its members a full service travel agency, auto-related and financial services, as well as public safety programs and legislative advocacy.

I am glad I got my drivers license already. I just renewed it Friday!
Old 12-30-2001, 02:03 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Thumbs down

I take it this effects people under the age of 18?

Regardless, these kind of laws are stupid, and the result of the general population becoming more ignorant every year. Oh yeah, making a teen drive around in a car with an adult is going to reduce deaths. More like it'll just move the age of the deaths up to 18-19. What was the one of the first things you did when you no longer had to ride around with parents and instructors harassing you? You pushed it a little, having a little fun. That's exactly what the 18-19 year olds are going to be doing now. They will still have no experience in those situations, so it matters little.

I'm seriously hoping that it doesn't effect 18-20 year olds. If it does, I think there should be a huge age discrimination lawsuit filed.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 02:05 PM   #3
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

At least everyone that has already gotten their licenses will be grandfathered. I dont think this law will last. I think there should be a law against OLD PEOPLE!!! My god I was out one day last week and almost got into a few wrecks due to senoirs!!! They are just as bad as teenagers maybe even worse!
Old 12-30-2001, 02:12 PM   #4
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

I don't agree with that law either. In Nebraska, when you turn 16 you get what is called a POP, or Provisional Operators Permit. There are no restrictions on passengers or anything like that. But you're not allowed to drive between midnight and 6 a.m. unless it's for a school activity. The curfew isn't restricted very heavily here at all though. I've never heard of a kid getting ticketed for it or anything. Usually the cop will just tell you to go home. Once you turn 17 you can get another license, I forget what it's called, that allows you to drive all hours of the day.
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 02:12 PM   #5
srv1
Get down.....

Talking getty-up!

it justs prove that Texans dont know how to drive! hehehehe j/k im going to catch slack for this one. to prove my point, ask Topless....
Old 12-30-2001, 04:44 PM   #6
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

That exact same law has been in effect in california for 2-3 years. I had to go through it. First six months - no one under 25 can drive with you. No driving between 12am and 5am Second six months - you can drive other people but not from 12am to 5am but u can drive by yourself between those times. After a year you have no restrictions. And you get ur permit at 15 have to take like 50 hrs of class time and 6 hrs of behind the wheel training with an instructor. After that your parents have to sign off that you have driven at least 50 hrs 10 of which have to be at night. It was a pain in the a**. O and I dont thnik there is anyone who never drove other people when they werent supposed too.

Later
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 05:29 PM   #7
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

You were breaking the law weren't you MidNiteBlue 5.0!?!?!
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 05:41 PM   #8
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Here in MIssissippi, when your 15 you get or permit, then 6 months later you get a restricted lisense(can't drive betwenn 12AM and 6AM0, then in another 6 months you get your full lisense.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 05:43 PM   #9
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

we have that in ontario, canada to but in stead of 6 months its 1 year. to em it doesn't seem like it works. i never drove when i had to drive wioth my parents its juts not fun. i practised for 3 days before my drivers test and passed.
Old 12-30-2001, 06:28 PM   #10
gt lee

I can agree that some laws need to be taken for teenagers that have not been instructed by responable parents, that extreem caution should be taken, and they are not as bad as the older people driving these days, I agree that the elder need to have a refresher course on driving, I am going to be 55 and I would appreciate a course that would help me, if I should ever get to be as slow as they do and not pay attention. I think the younger generation now are a lot smarter than our gov. is giving them, I my self stay away from Old Folks, first. Oh I don't need a refresher course yet. H*** NO I finally got to know how great it is to drive a great car, So I am just getting younger each year. Don't listen to crazy horse I am sure he will make fun of me. thats ok he knows I do most of the driving when we go anywhere. j/k marty .
Old 12-30-2001, 06:35 PM   #11
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

I agree. I see a lot more older people (60 - 70) driving pretty bad than I see younger people. Also I notice is that teenage girls drive worse than teenage guys! Its kinda weird actually. Plus most of these girls are driving brand new cars that thier mommy and daddy bought for them and they dont pay a dime on it. (sorry had to vent a little) And of course guys with sports cars pay more insurance than girls

Later
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 06:52 PM   #12
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

I don't the point of driving during the night (Early morning) no one is on the road, it usually is the safest between that time.
Either way this solves not very much like most said, and god yes seniors should have to take the test again. My Grandfather drives and he should have his licence taken away, I could swear he couldn't see past his windshield. lol Mind aswell act stupid while your young. Here in Canada it goes like this
Get your G1 at 16 which is a written test which only allows you to drive with a adult with there full licence for 3 years I believe and no driving on the hi-ways. And then if you take a driving school you can get your G2 after 8 months by taking a drivin test if you do not take the course you have to wait a year.
Once you have your G2 you can drive alone at any time no alcohol in your blood, and your allowed to drive on any road, then one year you take your final road test and if you pass you get your full G which allows you to drive with I believe .5 alcohol but you also get more points which brings down your insurance and also allows you to drive in the US and other provinces.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 07:34 PM   #13
SLIGHTLY_INSAIN
I AM ME!!!!

Default i agree with the restrictive license

Not only does it keep some kids who their parents buy an immature teen a car from doing many things and restricting their driveing, in the long term it lowers their insureance! i just missed the start of a law like this in WA, i was 18 when it started over this last summer. i wouldn't have minded at all going through it. i dont really see the problem with new drivers haveing small restrictions when they first get their license.
MaC cold air intake
24k on the clock
My Mustang
::waiting to be installed::
flowmasters Force II
::waiting to be ordered::
3.73 gears
subframeconnecters
aod to t-5 converson kit From MPS
Missing anything?
SLIGHTLY_INSAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 07:57 PM   #14
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

69mach1 with the g2 u can drive in any province or any country
i asked the dmv when i got my g2 because we were going hunting 2 days later and neede to know whether i could drive in the states
Old 12-31-2001, 01:29 PM   #15
OnMy3rdStang
Registered Member

Here in missouri you get your permit when your 15 and 1/2 then you get your drivers liicense when you turn 16. No restrictions other than you have to have a licensed driver in the car with you if you have a permit.

I think Missouri is working on a new law stating that you get you permit at 16 and your drivers license at 18. I am not sure on that
Old 12-31-2001, 03:35 PM   #16
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

Ohh.. yeh Rage? That's pretty cool, I never knew that. Hmm... that means I'll most likely be done at the car show this summer if we have one. I can get my final G June 15th though. But I don't think I'll go right away.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote