MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-26-2002, 02:51 PM   #1
inferno
The Instigator

Default auto laws and regulations for Texas

Since I am going to be moving to Texas, I want to know a little about the auto laws there and whatever smog regulations you have. I know that it isn't going to be as strict as California, but I want to know if there is anything that I should look out for.
Old 08-26-2002, 02:59 PM   #2
929PhoenixSquid
Registered Member

Default Re: auto laws and regulations for Texas

Quote:
Originally posted by inferno
Since I am going to be moving to Texas, I want to know a little about the auto laws there and whatever smog regulations you have. I know that it isn't going to be as strict as California, but I want to know if there is anything that I should look out for.
You know.....they sentence people to DEATH in that state for rolling thru stop-signs and speeding.....

SN95 block front and rear seats, Mac catback, BBK off-road H-pipe, Steeda castor camber plates, Steeda lowering springs, Tokico shocks/struts, Alpine/MBQuart/PPI audio mods...
929PhoenixSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 04:15 PM   #3
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Texas auto laws

Go here:

http://www.state.tx.us/category.jsp?...categoryId=9.7

Scroll down to the bottom and click on 'Vehicle Inspection'.

This covers auto emissions and safety inspections. Clicking on other parts of the Texas government website will tell you a lot more.

Good information here - most states have a similar type website. Just click the state name in a search engine and you can usually find it instantly. That's how I did it.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 04:16 PM   #4
PKRWUD

Default Re: Re: auto laws and regulations for Texas

Quote:
Originally posted by 929PhoenixSquid

You know.....they sentence people to DEATH in that state for rolling thru stop-signs and speeding.....
And they carry out their death sentences FAST (kill 'em before they prove they were really innocent).

Drive CAREFUL!

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 06:05 PM   #5
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

The only law that they are really strict about is your tailpipes. No "dumps" allowed. No emissions testing either

Later,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 07:25 PM   #6
Rev
Registered Member

Default Houston

Harris (Houston)and surrounding counties now require a rolling (dyno) emissions test as well as a visual test and safety test. Until recently, it was just a low/high RPM tailpipe sniffer test. EPA forced the state to implement stricter tests due to heavier pollution (mostly NOx I think). There's also the hated 55 MPH environmental speed limit on the highways, but that should change back to 70 MPH pretty soon I hope. There was tremendous backlash to that stupid little idea. You are required to have a front as well as rear license plate in Tx. and they will cite you for not having it.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 07:41 PM   #7
Sknight579
Registered Member

they can't touch my stang, she's barely legal
Old 08-26-2002, 08:47 PM   #8
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Angry SUCKO!

Come next year, emissions will SUCK!!!! We WILL ALL be putting our stock exaust back on for inspections. Unless you have a 'friend'..I"ve been really lucky the last 3 years! Yea, its also illegal to not have a front plate. I have not had one now for about 2 years...its here on the floor of my pc room...I've been lucky so far!
If you see those white vans on the side of the road....be afraid...be VERY AFRAID!!!! They are there, I"ve seenem'....
ya, the lowering the speed limit just smogged up the city more, cuz cars are on the road now longer than they have to be...
I agree w/ REV.......they need to jack them back up. We're gonna drive it anyways.
Keep us posted on when your coming down! Talk to you soon! TNT

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 02:00 PM   #9
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Depends on where you're located.

In the larger cities and the metroplex, most are required to pass a fairly strict sniffer and visual inspection.

However, if you move up north and west, it's not a problem. Here on the South Plains of West Texas, I've never seen a sniffer test and haven't talked to anyone who has ever been required to take it. We've got clean air (except for the dust), and so far we've been lucky. They may require them later on, but as of now it's all good. Visual inspection is fairly strict, but if you've got friends, that's taken care of.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 03:08 PM   #10
inferno
The Instigator

Damn it!! That means I have to keep my EGR...I was hoping I could get rid of it, but I am going to be living in Houston so I am stuck with it. I know the limits aren't going to be close to the stingy Cali limits so I should be cool, but I have to keep the EGR there for the visual inspection....maybe remove and replace every year. Everything else is fine....in Cali we are supposed to have front plates too, but I haven't had a front plate for any of my cars since I got my license. I've been pulled over before at the street races and didn't even get a ticket for not having the plate...but I did get one for my damn license plate lights not working
Old 08-27-2002, 03:46 PM   #11
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by inferno
I know the limits aren't going to be close to the stingy Cali limits...
Maybe yes, maybe no. I haven't looked into the actual numbers required for passing their emissions testing, but the air quality in Houston has been worse than L.A. for over 5 years now, so it's easy to see that they might be as tough, or will be soon. Go into expecting the worst, and you'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 08-27-2002, 06:03 PM   #12
inferno
The Instigator

In my cars current condition, smog checks are a breeze. My car is extremely below the limits in California....my car produced less than half of the allowable amounts of pollutants. I am concerned, however, with how my car will fair once I put the custom turbo kit on. I am going to try to keep it tuned properly of course, but I don't know how much the turbo set-up is going to effect my emissions. I like the fact that there is no manufacturer law in Texas regarding engine swaps....might be cool further down the line should I choose to build a little project.
Old 08-27-2002, 09:15 PM   #13
PKRWUD

Uh-oh. Texas won't ever be the same again.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 08-28-2002, 04:51 PM   #14
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Yeah, Houston has the worst air quality in the United States.

I don't know how stringent the testing is, but I know this: Houston has worse air than Cali, but it also has a lot less liberals and tree huggers.

Surely you won't have problems if you pass Californian emissions.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 07:18 PM   #15
PKRWUD

It's really not that bad here anymore. Everyone now makes parts with a CARB EO #.
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 08-29-2002, 04:09 PM   #16
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

I live in Baytown, right outside of Houston, and I have never had a problem with emissions. I had an '86 F-150 with a 5.0 and it passed with flying colors. Last August when I got my stang inspected, it had two of the factory four cats on it and they were gutted, still passed no problem. They have tightened up since then, but I am not sure how much. As far as visual, maybe I've been lucky, but I have never had anyone crawl under my car to look for cats or anything else, but I did have one place tell me that they couldn't inspect it because of the check engine light. I guess it all depends where you go. Some are cool, some are not so cool. As far as the liscense plate, in the last 6 years that I have been driving, I have never had one in the front. I've been pulled over several times, and no one has said jack about it. Good luck with your move.

BTW - I realize you are in Cali and are used to the sun, but, beware of the EXTREME humidity. Make sure you have an excellent cooling system for your powerplant or you'll be smokin on the side of the road. Take it easy.
Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote