MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2001, 01:37 AM   #1
Power
Registered Member

Post Stanger lost to the dark side......the darkest side.

The only consolation I can give myself is that my buddy was not a true Ford guy.

My buddy that had a 65 coupe until recently has fallen prey to the darkest side. He has purchased a "high performance" Nissan Sentra and is busy adding the appropriate stickers and coffee can. To make matters worse he now is telling me he is going to give it to his wife and he is going to buy a 2002 Nissan Altima. His reasoning is that the Altima will be able to match up against the Mustang GT stock for stock. He has also told me the obligatory stories of american V8 muscle cars getting their heart broken by 4 and 6 cyl imports down at the track. I've heard the necessary peak horse in 4 cyl VS peak horse in 8 cyl logic and he stands by it. Its quite sad for me because he was the one that helped me get mine and we were building them up together.

Oh yeah, his Nissan Altima he is buying is "guaranteed" to be down in the low 12's when he is done with it.

Sad sad day. Glad I still have all you folks here on the board.
Old 08-27-2001, 01:42 AM   #2
smokedchevy
Registered Member

Unhappy

Disheartening story. I feel for you.
Old 08-27-2001, 02:40 AM   #3
dirtyGT
Registered Member

He'll come back once reality hits him

------------------
P.M.D. PERFORMANCE 88GT
306ci
paracing.net
Old 08-27-2001, 08:45 AM   #4
95mustanggt
Registered Member

He's right on some levels. Perhaps he will get that car into the 12's.

I mean with either big $$$ or a huge Nitrous kit and a couple grand he might get there, but of course when the engine blows apart because the car was never meant to have that much power through it, or the drivetrain bends and breaks he'll have lost all his money. And I really don't think Nissan will honor any warranty, so too bad for your buddy. A new Cobra would have been cheaper.

And when he mentions the stock for stock thing against a mustang, make sure you tell him the difference between a V8 car and a V6 car.

------------------
1995 Mustang GT
Old 08-27-2001, 10:38 AM   #5
Foxtrot X-Ray
Registered Member

At least he didn't buy a Mitsubishi...
My company makes it's money off of Import Cars.
I suppose, since that pays my wages I sould say "COOL Go For it Duuude!!"
Since he'll be buying a new motor for it in a month from me or someone like me.
(you wouldn't believe how often we get people trying to get thier Acura VTEC engines warrenteed after blowing them up racing.
Says in big bold lettering on our invoice and warrentee paperwork that the warrentee is VOID if engine is used for racing or installed in a different application than stock.)
Old 08-27-2001, 01:26 PM   #6
Ty'97Cobra
Registered Member

Talking

Sounds like he will be spending a lot of $$$. I'll bet when the engine blows, insurance won't take care of it because it was modified. The dealerships won't touch it, even if it is new and under warranty, because it has been modified.
He will learn, It'll cost him, though.
Old 08-27-2001, 02:22 PM   #7
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Thumbs down

My condolences for the 'loss' of your bud to the rice paddy gang.

I cannot understand why anyone who wants to go fast would buy a stock Altima or whatever and pour thousands of dollars in to do what a a Mustang V-8 can do for much, much less while lasting a whole lot longer, too.
It's just dumb. Anyone can make almost any car fast (12's) with nitrous oxide and/or other mods but when you can have the looks, handling and sheer 'natural' (factory) power of a Mustang V-8, why bother coaxing speed from what was designed as an econo-car?

Sure, I know guys who made six-cylinder Chevy's and other weird cars fast with tons of speed equipment, gears and stripping them down to nothing. So what? You have a 17-second car that now is a 13 or 12 second car but has lost reliability and comfort. Resale is affected, also. Makes no sense.

Your buddy will learn eventually, but it will cost him and frankly, maybe he needs to learn the lesson. Either way, your Mustang will always be a far better machine than whatever he comes up with. That he can't take away from you, although he may never admit it.

Old 08-27-2001, 05:11 PM   #8
Old Guy with 87 GT
Registered Member

dumb,he'll realize when it breaks.....see guys at the track all the time with fast imports.....you can make em fast but you just wind up breaking them.....saw a vw rabbit the other week that could run 7.s in the eighth .....but he blew apart his trannie and just wound up delaying racing for like an hour wile they cleaned up the oil and parts

------------------
i'm really a not so old guy with 87 gt.......87gt,T top -169,000 on odometer-14.7 qt.m/80 capri(future project)
Old 08-27-2001, 11:24 PM   #9
Power
Registered Member

Just to provide a little more background to the story; here it is.

He found the 65 sitting in someones backyard rusting out and convinced them to part with it for $800. He then got a loan for $1500 which had a ungodly % rate and they also convinced him to take a credit card with the same interest and limit ($1500).

He spends all the money getting this car back into shape and running strong. Thats $3000 plus other assorted cash amounts spent on this car getting it running. Then he gets tired of it and sells it for $1200 claiming to me that he made $400.

PS - He is still paying on the loan and card.....
Old 08-28-2001, 04:15 PM   #10
smokedchevy
Registered Member

Thumbs up

This might brighten your day up a little. In the parking lot of my college yesterday some dude saw my car and started asking me about it. Then he says he is getting rid of his import to buy a 65 mustang cause he got his butt blown away by a mustang! Then today at school I saw a gnarly white 90's GT that sounded built to sh#t!! They're still out there, and it looks like one will be joining us soon.

------------------
92 GT, 4:10 gears, centerforce clutch, 6# powerdyne blower, bbk h-pipe, flowmasters
Old 08-28-2001, 05:41 PM   #11
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

I guess you can say I went to the "darkside", but mine is ****** fast!

------------------
1989 GT, 3:55's, full exhaust, 4 in. hood, Pro 5.0, All parts for sale now.

2000 Camaro SS-A4 =P

1989 Chevy S-10, EX. Cab-383(500+hp on motor), trick flow heads, trick flow pistons, etc... autometer phantom gauges, "built" 700R4, roll cage, lexan back window, corbeau seats, R.H.S. 5 harnesses, Fuel cell, convo pro wheels, 15x14's with 29x18.5 M/T'S on back, 15x4's on front, nitrous, and so much more!

http://www.geocities.com/i8urvpr/JM.html
Old 08-28-2001, 06:04 PM   #12
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by dirtyGT:
He'll come back once reality hits him

Yeah, I agree. Once he finds out who his REAL father is, he'll come back.

-----------------------------------------
351W-powered 1979 Ford Mustang notchback
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl, C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, Al driveshaft
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup someday)

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Old 08-29-2001, 12:19 AM   #13
Power
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1BAD89:
I guess you can say I went to the "darkside", but mine is ****** fast!

I don't consider GM to be the dark side. It is still american, and because of GM and Dodge, the mustang has evolved to what it is today.

I even tried to convince him to at least stay american, but he thinks that imports are the true performers.

Old 08-29-2001, 12:41 AM   #14
mustang marty gt

don' follow that gm tried to copy the stang aka as camaro they rated the camaro about six places below the mustang calling gm's copy cat car the nova ss rated higher than the camaro no dis to gm fan's used to be one years ago when i was but a teenage lad but i know what can take the dogging out and still keep running without pulling my hood off for a re build got this info from a tv show rating the top ten muscle car's oh yeah hemi cuda was number one oh well gotta give it to them

------------------

Old 08-29-2001, 02:24 AM   #15
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

He means 12's in the 1/8th right? lol
Old 08-29-2001, 01:04 PM   #16
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb

mustang marty gt:

Punctuation is our friend.
Old 08-29-2001, 09:56 PM   #17
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Quote:
Originally posted by mustang marty gt:
don' follow that gm tried to copy the stang aka as camaro they rated the camaro about six places below the mustang calling gm's copy cat car the nova ss rated higher than the camaro no dis to gm fan's used to be one years ago when i was but a teenage lad but i know what can take the dogging out and still keep running without pulling my hood off for a re build got this info from a tv show rating the top ten muscle car's oh yeah hemi cuda was number one oh well gotta give it to them

Yeah I bet people that actually drove the Hemi cuda's never had to pull the hood off. WTF? My SS is reliable as they come. =P Take the dogging out? GEeZ.... Marty ,marty , marty......I actually like working on cars, I don't know about you. I would love to line up with your car and your "GUMP" motor. =P ahaha LMFAO, LATER.

------------------
1989 GT, 3:55's, full exhaust, 4 in. hood, Pro 5.0, All parts for sale now.

2000 Camaro SS-A4 =P

1989 Chevy S-10, EX. Cab-383(500+hp on motor), trick flow heads, trick flow pistons, etc... autometer phantom gauges, "built" 700R4, roll cage, lexan back window, corbeau seats, R.H.S. 5 harnesses, Fuel cell, convo pro wheels, 15x14's with 29x18.5 M/T'S on back, 15x4's on front, nitrous, and so much more!

http://www.geocities.com/i8urvpr/JM.html
Old 08-30-2001, 01:33 AM   #18
mustang marty gt

Re 1BAD89 whatever ' im not here to argue . let me pull out my 69 coupe you're on by the way gump is gump motor co aka GMC let's not argue ok .i just love stang's i did have a killer 69 chevelle ss beat everyone at school even a 440 magnum built out the you know what so there are a lot of gm's i like and respect ok thanks

------------------

Old 08-30-2001, 02:21 AM   #19
smokedchevy
Registered Member

Damn Marty!! Your post is hard to read!!
Old 08-30-2001, 02:39 AM   #20
84LX89GT
Mustangs

Sorry to hear the loss Power. But sometimes you just have to realize that some people are always right, no matter how wrong they are . Well at least you'll be able to hand him his @ss on a regular basis and do it in style (aka in a mustang). At least you still have your stang.

------------------
previous name: 84stangLX
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
my LX
'89 Mustang GT
my GT

Closed Thread