MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-25-2005, 04:05 PM   #1
Jenns05Stang
Registered Member

Default START YOUR MODS! Magnaflow Vs. Flowmaster

I have a new baby and am starting the Mods. I pretty much killed the 03 GT, so when the 05 Stang came out I called my fellas at Future Ford - Roseville, CA and picked up a pretty little somethin'... I am just yanking at the chain to get some items on this little bad-boy. So.... #1.... Muffler.... Since they have set the muffler back at bumper..I need something a little more sportier looking than the Flowmaster..... Any opinions on the Magnaflow?

The OE exhaust is fine for now. So, no cat-back systems as of right now. I am hankering for a K&N, but, waiting for spec release from Ford and production....... The MAF is now integrated on the air box, so this will be an easier change out as parts start rolling out...

I have to tell ya' fellas..Although I thought I sincerely disliked this vehicle when they released it @ SEMA...I fell in love with it. Nice combo between 1964/65 and the 66/67..fast back. I am going to tint and add some 1/4 window louvers from Steeda..Driving lights are going close and in the middle of the lower bumper skirt.....No Spoiler or Body Skirts. I would love for this to end out looking similar to a Red Eleanor when I am done...But with a "mom flare"....

The 5 speed Auto trans is a huge step up from the old 4. It has a great wide open throttle upshift. Some of the road tests are coming in with a 0-60 @ 6.9 and 1/4 @15.3/91 mph....(sad this is only about 0.6 and 0.2 off the unmodified 03's GT Auto-4 times...)...Less costs involved in maintenance which is a necessity since my mom had a stroke and is now living with me.

Okie Dokie.....What should I add to the shopping list?

Thanks.
Jennifer
Jenns05Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 10:19 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

Default Re: START YOUR MODS! Magnaflow Vs. Flowmaster

Are you sure about those 0-60 and 1/4 mile times? HRM tested an '05 GT 5 speed manual and got like 13.9/100 for the 1/4 I believe. Seems that the auto wouldn't be in the 15's/91 range (is this a V-6 we're speaking of?).

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 11:06 PM   #3
Jenns05Stang
Registered Member

Hey Rev,

Right now, nope, I'm not sure of anything with this little car. Car and Driver Magazine (2/7/05) had that stat. So, I am sure there is room for error. Mustang Enthusiast (a virgin mag compared to MM&FF) took the 05 GT to a Dyno at Alternative Auto and on the Dyno it came in 264/276 @ rear...so factoring in a moderate drivetrain loss of 15% at the tires would put the base HP of 300 at about 255 @RW...We will have to see more Dyno specs but it appears the original HP figure may be a little sand-bagged and be running a little more around base 325HP/350LBTQ. The driveshaft is no longer a single unit. Instead it has a CV joint in the middle of the two shaft pieces... The engine in the 05 combines the lovely V-8 displacement with a variable cam timing (darn imports sneaking in there.. )... It gives the engine an overall flatter power curve, allowing the engine to alter cam timing to help make it a little more efficient at higher rpm levels. In this current modulated world, who the heck knows.... It is as much about the vehicle and engine engineering as the computer modulation and set-up. I'm not going to try to compare the two. All I know is I have a truck engine (the 05 V-6 has been borrowed from the Explorer/Ranger platform) tossed into this nice light little Thunderbird/Lincoln LS chassis and with the 5 speed Automatic it is great...

Item to note: hmmmm... from what I have read and seen peeking underneath the new GT, it may be a challenge for the straight 1/4 mile track times to keep up with the Fox Body and SN95 though. The rear module on the GT has 3 control arms and a single panhard bar with the coil springs located on the rear housing rather than on the control arms. Trying to modify this to maximize @ launch is going to be tricky....

Enough happy nerd talk for me... My little man (7 years old now) wants a little time on the laptop. It's nice to hear from you Rev.....Keep in touch...

BTW.... Any opinion on the muffler my friend?

Jennifer
Is OhNo5.0 and Dark5.0 still around?
Old 02-26-2005, 02:33 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

The HRM test was done with a quote, "professional driver", whatever that means. The test article did say "it wheel hopped it's way to a 13.9 second et", so a good launch might be a problem. Over all, I've heard mostly raves about the '05 GT. I'm hoping to see one at the track to see how they really do in the 1/4 mile with an ordinary driver.

I've always heard that a RWD 5 speed generally loses about 17% to the drive train and rear wheel friction. That would make 255/.83=307 at the flywheel which is close to factory rating. 265/.83=319. Just tire inflation pressure can make that much difference on a chassis dyno. Each dyno even of the same brand also differs some from what I've heard as well. I guess we really only get a general feel for an engine from chassis dyno tests and magazine track tests.

Won't be long before we see lots of real life tests on the '05 and we'll have a better idea as to performance.

BTW, I like FlowMasters but I'll bet you won't go wrong with the Magnaflow either. I would just pick the one that you like the sound and looks of the best. Performancewise, I bet you won't be able to tell the difference.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 05:24 PM   #5
Jenns05Stang
Registered Member

Thanks for the info on the muffler Rev. I'm sure it won't make any difference in performance at all...I just want a little more "gurble" along the way to work to drown out the fart pipes.....

The 05 GT is going to make benchmarking at the track a blast no matter what! LOL.... I absolutly agree with the Tire Pressure @ Dyno... Climate control issues can also vary the outcome.... Track and driver response in a "real world" environment over an extended period of time will give us a better idea.... Either way, I have the opinion that this may be the best modulated 4.6/chassis set-up to date..... at least for a daily driver with Nuts... LOL...again, getting the rear end optimize at launch may be tricky and a little more expense than the Fox and SN95.

Have a nice weekend and take care of yourself.
Jennifer
Old 02-27-2005, 04:52 AM   #6
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

get the magnaflows, everyone and thier mother has flowmasters

Though you should listen to both first
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:11 PM   #7
Jenns05Stang
Registered Member

Thanks MidNiteBlue 5.0;

I have a gal frined with an 03 GT and she has the Magna....Nice deep sound..I also checked out the .wav files on the Magnaflow website... Sounds good on the little demon.... I have decided on the Magna...Now all I have to do is wait for the product release... (like rest of the items I want..)..

Thanks again and have a nice day.

Jennifer
Old 02-27-2005, 05:33 PM   #8
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Dark 5.0 is still here, but I have not seen OhNo 5.0 in a while.
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 06:42 PM   #9
Jenns05Stang
Registered Member

Thanks rwhite65.... I asked before I found the "MW oldtimers union" thread... LOL.. sounds like most of us "old timers" have been MIA for awhile. I found Dark and noticed OhNo 5.0 chimed in on that thread. Nice to know the fellas are still around and alive. In a previous life I was known as JaneOfAllTrades and unfortunately gave most of these fellas a rough time. LOL... I was a little more fiesty then. Now I am a mellow mama with a high energy 7 year old to take care of and a very ill mother to take care of. Amazing what a few years and a few life experiences will do for acquiring maturity and meekness.

Thanks for the FYI, it is appreciated. Have a nice day.. Now if I can get a the few last laps in of the NASCAR...Auto 500 in Fontana before it is over and in between "Mama Look"s...

Jennifer