MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-21-2001, 10:42 PM   #1
82 GT
Import Slayer

Question stereo question

I know this question belongs in the audio/electronics forum but that doesn't seem to get much action in there.

I have an Alpine system with crossovers,amps,
door speakers,subs. Can anyone explain the how to hook this all up? I had it installed by a shop but I had to remove it because I got rid of the car and now I want to install it into my stang. I am not sure of the connections. Does the outputs of the head unit go into the crossovers and then the amps or what? Someone please explain the general hook up connections. I need tunes!!
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2001, 12:58 AM   #2
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

head unit goes to eq(if you have one), then goes to crossover, then to amps, then to speakers! Good luck!

------------------
Joe!
1988 GT, 167,000 miles!!! 13.58@105mph Check out my listing! Click here! Or my website:
www.joe4speed.com
1999 Ninja ZX-6R 10.32@135mph!
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS 16.40@88.8mph

joe4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2001, 05:21 AM   #3
Old Guy with 87 GT
Registered Member

depends on what type of cross overs....if there low level (rca type jacks)then they will get hooked up before amps, sub output going to subs amp,hi pass or mid pass going to speakers amp.But if its a hi level crossover set up or in line block set up it would go in speakers lines .....most likly if you have two amps then its low level ....the way to tell is look for the rca type jacks...most high level set ups use screw down pins for stripped wires most low level set ups use the plug in rca patch cables

------------------
old guy with 87 gt....well not so old guy
Old Guy with 87 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2001, 01:34 PM   #4
Power
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JL1314:
head unit goes to eq(if you have one), then goes to crossover, then to amps, then to speakers! Good luck!
This pretty much covers it.

Quote:
Originally posted by old guy with 87 gt:...depends on what type of cross overs....if there low level (rca type jacks)then they will get hooked up before amps, sub output going to subs amp,hi pass or mid pass going to speakers amp.But if its a hi level crossover set up or in line block set up it would go in speakers lines...
Also right on the money.

I am assuming you don't have passive crossovers or you would be asking more questions about "those little doohickeys".

So, making sure you go "In's to Out's" and vice versa down the chain you should be good. Head unit outs to the Crossover Ins etc. Just make sure you don't mix up the Outs on the cross overs.

What are you using for door speakers and subs? What size amps did you get? Was everything hooked straight up(i.e. no bridging, crossed terminals)?

Hope you get it back together good.

[This message has been edited by Power (edited 05-22-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Power (edited 05-22-2001).]
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2001, 02:43 PM   #5
82 GT
Import Slayer

The crossover is the high end type. I have 6in, Clarion door speakers, two 10inch JL audio subs, a 150w amp for the doors and a 300w amp for the subs.

------------------
'82 GT 351W C-4,BBK headers,Carter 625 carb,Comp.Cam,Flowmaster exhaust.
1988 GT...T-5,bone stock
Old 05-22-2001, 04:22 PM   #6
82 GT
Import Slayer

Ok, I looked at my crossovers and they are passive units. They have inputs for the amp and outputs for the woofers and tweeders.
There is also a tweeder setting switch to adjust between 0 and -6dB
What does that do? It was set at 0
So I guess in my case, the amps get wired before the crossovers...correct?
All I know is that I went to the stereo shop and said I want quality sound and good bass and I had $2000 to blow and this is the system they installed!!
Is it a good setup? Is there anything else I should add?

------------------
1988 GT...T-5,bone stock
Old 05-23-2001, 12:41 AM   #7
Power
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 82 GT:
...There is also a tweeder setting switch to adjust between 0 and -6dB
What does that do?...
That has to do with your crossover being a "First Order" crossover. This means its a 6dB per octave filter. At the frequency selected for the crossover enough resistance has been added to equal the resistance of the loudspeaker and reduce the power by 3 dB or 50%. One octave below the crossover frequency, power has been reduced by 6 dB or 75%. Each octave lower reduces the power by an additional 6 dB. This was put on there to compensate for that.

You have the deluxe crossovers which are pre-built with internal capacitor's.

nothing like throwing in some inline capacitor's and calling it a crossover

Quote:
...So I guess in my case, the amps get wired before the crossovers...correct?...
If you are running passive crossovers this allows you to run all sizes of speakers(and different ohm rating if you were so inclined)on parrallel channels of the amp while keeping a safe impedence load on the amp through the entire frequency range.

You are correct, passive crossovers are put in line between the amp and the speaker.

There is a couple other configurations you could do with the gear it sounds like you have. But most likely the easiest and definitly adequate is the method described in the other posts on this thread.

good luck...........

Old 05-23-2001, 12:47 AM   #8
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

My system: open hedders
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 03:14 PM   #9
82 GT
Import Slayer

Power, What set up would you go with if you had my equipment? What would be the best way?
The shop told me that they gave the doors the 150w amp so that they would not be overpowered by the subs with the 300w amp.
Could I hook the two amps together to get more power to the speakers or should I just leave it the way it was?

------------------
1988 GT...T-5,bone stock
Old 05-23-2001, 04:36 PM   #10
Power
Registered Member

Well, it sounds like the shop did your system right. I personally would leave it nice and simple. You can tweak your system to get a lot more power, but if you have the adequate gear whats the point? I was referring to people that come in on a real tight budget but want a good system. A lot of times you end up bridging smaller amps to push larger subs, etc. If you had the $$ to spend and did it the right way then I would say you got a good system.

The only thing I might do different if I was you would be to add some Fuse blocks IF you ever plan on increasing your wattage to the rear subs. Other than that, unless your competing you have a good setup.

The door speakers definitly need that amp if you run your subs hard. I would leave the amps how they were with the 150w to the doors and 300w to the subs.